Nowadays, PS3 is almost extinct. Newer versions of the Play Station are booming in the market with the extreme competition from Xbox. Still, if you have a decent computer system, those PS3 controllers you have can be put to good use. This guide lists down the steps and solutions on how to connect your PS3 controller to your PC within no time. Read it carefully and don’t miss a single step.
Solution 1: ScpToolkit
In this solution, we will try to connect your PS3 controller to your PC using the Xbox software. Please note that the controllers won’t lose any of their functionality. The reason we chose this software is because this solution is very effective and efficient.
- First of all, you should have the following software downloaded and installed in your PC. Links are given below.
Note: Install the driver according to your computer system (32 bit or 64 bit). The drivers you will find on the official website will be of Windows 7. Don’t worry, these drivers also support all operating systems after Windows 7 i.e. Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.
- You can check your currently installed drivers anytime by running the “Run” application and typing “cmd” in the dialogue box.
- When the Command Prompt pops up, type “driverquery” and hit Enter. Your computer will list down all the installed drivers along with their version, date modified, module name and the driver type.
- Now we have to head towards installing third party software that will help you enable your dual shock controller to work with your PC. Head here and you will find a green link which directs to the stable release of the software. Install it. The software’s name will be “SCP Toolkit Setup”.
- Once you have downloaded the files, open the file. You will find an application named “exe”. Right click and select Run as administrator to install it.
- Set the install location accordingly and agree to the license terms. Click Next after you are done.
- After you click Next, you will be given an option on which items to install in the form of check boxes. It is recommended to leave them as they are marked default and click the install button.
- After you have successfully installed the software, your Dual shock controllers will be basically plug and play. Meaning they will be detected whenever you connect them to the PC without you having to do anything.
- After installation, you can configure the keys yourself with ease using the toolkit. You can customize your controller experience to suit your playing style. You can also utilize the profile manager and create custom mappings. The fine-tune option will even help you adjust your thumb stick sensitivity.
Please note that in some cases, the keys will be displayed of an Xbox controller instead of PlayStation. Because we are using the Xbox drivers, this is nothing alarming. All you have to do is map the correct ones and while playing, your PS3 controller should work normally like any controller should.
We have listed down the keys in comparison for your ease of access.
We hope that this solution will work as expected. While installation, always run the .exe file as Administrator to counter any problems which may occur. Happy gaming!