Have you ever been in a situation where you were distant from your PlayStation but wanted to join a party chat? Now this is very simple if you want to join from your mobile phone or tablet using the PlayStation App available on Android and iOS.
However, the process is slightly different if you want to join through your PC or laptop. First, there is no PlayStation App for Windows and macOS, so you can directly join a party chat. For this purpose, you have to use PlayStation Remote Play.
What is Remote Play?
This application allows users to control their PlayStation consoles from another location using another device. You can even stream your games to your phone using Remote Play. But in this case, you can use your console to join the party chat through your PC. Before we go into details of how to make this work, there are some crucial requirements that need to be fulfilled.
- You need a PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 for this to work.
- Windows 10 or 11 on a 7th generation or above processor.
- For macOS, High Sierra or above.
- An internet connection with decent speed and the console and PC both connected to same network.
- A wireless or wired PlayStation controller that can be connected to your PC.
Now that we know the basic requirements, let’s see how to make this functional.
Installing PlayStation Remote Play
The first step is installing the Remote Play Application on your system. For that, visit the official Remote Play website and scroll down to the different options for software installation. I am on a Windows PC, so the steps ahead will be according to that.
- On the website, select the appropriate installation option.
- Click on it and let the installation process begin.
- Once the file is downloaded, click on “Open File.”
- Then you should allow the program to run once that is complete, Install the program on your system.
Settings Up Remote Play On PS5
These steps are specifically for PS5, if you own a PS4 the steps will be provided shortly after.
- Go to the “Settings” of your console and proceed to the “System” settings.
- Once there, click on “Remote Play” and turn on “Enable Remote Play.”Remote Play Options
Your console needs to be in rest mode for remote play to work, so you need to turn on the following settings.
- Return to “System” settings and go to “Power Saving.”
- Select “Features Available in Rest Mode” and turn on “Stay Connected to the Internet” and “Enable Turning on PS5 from Network.“ Features Available in Rest Mode Options
Setting Up Remote Play On PS4
The steps for setting up Remote play on PS4 are somewhat different due to different settings.
- Go to your console’s “Settings” and then “Remote Play Connection Settings” and activate “Enable Remote Play.“
- You also need to set this PS4 as the primary PS4 on your PSN account.
- Do so by going into “Account Management“, then “Activate as Your Primary PS4“, and select “Activate.”
- Now go to “Power Saving,” select “Features Available in Rest Mode,” and turn on “Stay Connected to the Internet” and “Enable Turning on PS5 from Network.”
Starting Remote Play
After setting up your console, now you need to set up your Remote Play app. The steps are almost same for both consoles so let’s dive straight into it.
- Power on your console and put it in “Rest Mode.”
- Launch the PS Remote Play on your PC, and make sure your console’s controller is linked to your PC.
- Click on “Sign In to PSN” and enter your PlayStation Network Account credentials.
- Once you sign in to your PSN, you will have to select the console you want to pair up to.
- It takes some time to connect and after that your consoles screen is displayed on your computer screen.
Now both the devices have been successfully paired and you can control your console using your PC.
Joining a Party Chat
Now the final step of the process is joining a party chat. Before we do that, we need to change our audio settings so that the voice input and output occur through our chosen medium.
To do so, press the PlayStation button on your controller. This should open up the quick access menu of your console. Select the Mic Icon and then select “Remote Play Device.”
Joining the party is same as how you would join the party on your console. Select “Game Base” and go to “Parties“. Now select any existing party you want to join or you can click on “Start Party“, add players and begin.
Party Chat provides a great way to communicate with your friends while mowing down enemies in an FPS or charting your journey through an expansive RPG. Although alternatives such as Discord are also available, why go for 3rd party applications when you can use a service that has been specifically designed for your device?