A black screen issue in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty can occur while launching the game from Steam. This issue usually occurs if you do not have the optimal hardware to run Wo Long.
We have tested and tried some solutions, which are mentioned below. Check which one works best for you to fix the black screen issue in Wo long Fallen Dynasty. Follow these solutions:
1. Update Windows and Graphics Drivers.
The black screen issue in Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty can occur if your Windows or graphics drivers are outdated. To update Windows and graphics drivers, follow these steps:
Update your Windows
- Open the Start Menu.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Go to “Update and Security”.
- Now go to “Windows Update” > Press “Check for Updates”.
Updating Graphic Drivers
Checking Nvidia Graphics Drivers:
- Open up GeForce Experience.
- Now, Go to the Updates tab.
- Here, you can see if a new update is available or not.
- Install the update if it is available.
Checking AMD Graphics Drivers:
- In Radeon Settings, Click on the Updates menu.
- Here, Radeon will display settings that report the current version of the installed update, and you can check for new updates.
- If there is a new update Click on the drop-down menu and select Express Upgrade.
Your game will run smoothly without any Black screen issues by using this solution, If your issue persists try the next solution.
2. Install the VP9 Video Extensions.
The video extension codec is mainly affected during streaming while playing games, but Google’s introduction of the VP9 video extension, which is directly available on the Microsoft Store, has been recommended by the developers of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty (Team Ninja) to address the black screen issues. To download and install it, follow these steps:
- Open Microsoft Store.
- Search for “VP9 Video Extensions”.
- Click on the App file and Click on Get.
- Restart your computer and then launch your game.
By using this solution, the black screen issue will be gone, and you can play the game uninterrupted. If you keep encountering the issue, try this next step.
3. Verify the game files.
Verifying game file integrity is a vital step in ensuring that the game files on your computer are accurate and uncorrupted. This is essential because missing or damaged files might cause the game to display a black screen issue. To verify the game files of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, follow these steps:
- Open the Steam launcher.
- Go to the library.
- Right-click on Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty and Click on Properties.
Clicking Properties in Steam
- Select “Local Files” from the menu on the left.
- Click on the “Verify integrity of game files” option to verify the game files
This process will take some time, so please wait until it is fully done. You will need to restart your computer after performing these steps. Then, try launching the game, and if the issue persists, proceed with the next solution.
4. Run the game on dedicated graphics.
Dedicated GPUs are far more powerful than integrated ones. If your laptop or computer forces the game to run on an integrated GPU, it will most likely show a black screen. To fix this, we can configure Windows to run the game using a dedicated graphics card. Follow these steps:
- Open the Window Search box and then search for Graphics Setting.
- Click on Browse.
- Now, locate the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty folder. Usually, the default location would look something like this:
Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam apps\Common
- Once you are in the Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty files, single-click on the WoLong.exe file and click the ‘Add‘ button.
- After this, Go to the list of games select Wo Long, and hit Options.
- Now Click on High Performance and Click Save.
5. Force the game to run on DirectX 11.
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty runs on DirectX 12 by default; however, this version of DirectX may not be supported by many graphics cards. Therefore, a black screen can appear when opening Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. To fix this, force the game to run on DirectX 11.
- Open the Steam Launcher.
- Go to the library, right-click on ‘Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty,’ and click ‘Properties.’
- Select General and Type ‘dx11’ in the Launch Option bar as shown in the image below.
Try relaunching the game with both of the options and select the one that works best for you. If the issues persist, follow the next step.
6. Reinstall Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
If none of the above-mentioned fixes has worked for you, try reinstalling Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, as the installation may have caused files to become corrupted or missed an important file. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open steam.
- Right-click on Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty and Click on Manage.
- Now, Click on Uninstall.
- Proceed with uninstalling the game. After that, Restart your computer.
- Once uninstalled, reinstall the game.
These steps will help you resolve stuttering and freezing issues in the following game.