The “Too many requests in 1 hour” error message appears when you query ChatGPT excessively within a short duration. Generally, this can be erroneously triggered when extensions interfere with the OpenAI platforms.
If you encounter the error message after asking numerous questions to ChatGPT, it’s expected. However, if it occurs after only one question, that’s a real issue. Refer to the methods in this article to resolve the problem.
1. Check ChatGPT Status
First, check ChatGPT’s server status for anomalies. An error message can occur if OpenAI faces a server outage, impacting ChatGPT’s performance and functionality. In such cases, await restoration of services by the OpenAI development team.
You can check the server status of ChatGPT on the official OpenAI status page, which monitors all OpenAI services. If there’s a server outage with ChatGPT, this page will track the issue.
If the server status is operational and you’re still encountering the error message, proceed to the next method.
2. Disable Browser Extensions
The error message may be caused by your browser extensions, such as adblockers or security-related add-ons, interfering with the ChatGPT platform.
These add-ons extensively interfere with the website’s functionality, potentially causing various problems. Therefore, to eliminate the error message, you need to disable these extensions.
Use your browser’s incognito or private mode to determine if the problem with ChatGPT persists. This mode blocks browser add-ons, allowing you to test the functionality without interference.
If the problem goes away, remove the add-ons from your browser to resolve the issue. You can also remove them one by one to locate the offending add-on.
3. Clear Site Data
ChatGPT stores site data in your browser to enable certain functions. This data includes details for managing the platform’s functionality.
To fix the error message, clear your browser’s site data, forcing ChatGPT to request new server data. Follow the instructions below to do this.
- First, open the ChatGPT website.
- Then, right-click anywhere in the chat and select Inspect from the menu.
- After that, switch to the Applications tab in the inspect menu.
- In the Applications tab, switch to the Storage option.
- Then, tick the Including third-party cookies checkbox.
- Finally, click the Clear site data button.
- Once you do that, login again to ChatGPT and see if the error message is still there.
4. Toggle VPN Connection
In some cases, the error message can arise due to your IP address. When this happens, you can toggle a VPN connection to get past the problem. This can depend on your existing connection.
If you’re using a VPN to access the ChatGPT platform, disable it and then log in. Check if this resolves the issue.
However, If you’re not using a VPN, we recommend establishing a VPN connection to bypass the IP block. Various services like ExpressVPN and NordVPN are available online.
Ensure to disable Threat Protection in the NordVPN settings menu, as it’s commonly linked to the error message in ChatGPT.
5. Clear Cookies and Cache
The too many requests issue in ChatGPT may be related to your browser cache and cookies, particularly if the cache is corrupted. To resolve this, clear your browser cache.
This is entirely safe and doesn’t negatively impact your browser. Below are instructions tailored for three popular browsers.
5.1. Microsoft Edge
- Open the Settings page with the help of the More menu in the top right.
- Then, go to the Privacy, search, and services tab to the left.
- There, click on the Choose what to clear option.
- After that, tick all of the checkboxes and select All Time from the Time Range.
- Finally, click the Clear now option.
5.2. Mozilla Firefox
- Click on the hamburger icon in the top right and select Settings.
- Then, jump to the Privacy and security tab on the left.
- In the Privacy and security settings, click on the Clear data option.
- Now, select both the options and click Clear.
5.3. Google Chrome
- Use the More menu in the top right and select Clear browsing data.
- Then, use the Time Range menu to select All Time and tick all of the options.
- Finally, click the Clear data option.
6. Upgrade to ChatGPT Plus
Another way to access the rate limit in ChatGPT is by upgrading to the Plus plan, which offers numerous additional features and enhanced access to the improved ChatGPT model.
Additionally, ChatGPT’s response time for Plus users is significantly improved, with access to beta features. The Plus plan has no usage limit, eliminating any ‘Too many requests’ error messages. The cost of ChatGPT’s Plus plan is 20 USD per month.
That is it. You should be able to resolve the “Too many requests in 1 hour” error message with the methods in this article. If you are encountering the issue despite the methods outlined above, you can reach out to the support team for ChatGPT and have a chat with them.