Sling TV may not work due to network or router’s issues. Moreover, the corrupt installation of the Sling TV application or your browser may also result in the error under discussion.
It was observed that Sling TV either does not load or just shows a splash screen. For some of the users, it loads but shows no channel (in some cases, the issue is with some channels). In some cases, Sling TV is stuck/frozen on loading or has a black screen. Nearly all the versions (Desktop, iOS, Android, Roku, Fire Stick, Nvidia Shield, etc.) are affected.
Before moving on with the solutions to fix Sling TV, check the server status of Sling TV. Moreover, keep in mind that some Sling TV accounts only allow one login (like Sling Orange account), so, make sure that is not the case with you. Additionally, restart your device and the networking equipment. If you are using one of the streaming devices like Roku, then remove and (after restart) readd the problematic channel.
Below are some of the common solutions that should work no matter the device/platform you are using to access Sling TV. For illustration, we have targetted one specific OS in the examples below. You may perform these solutions on whatever device you are using to access Sling TV.
Solution 1: Relaunch Sling TV Application after Force Closing It
The issue at hand could be a result of a temporary glitch of Sling TV modules. This glitch can be cleared by relaunching the application after force closing it. For elucidation, we will guide you through the process of an Android device.
- Exit the Sling TV application and open the Settings of your phone.
- Now select Apps or Application Manager and tap on Sling TV.
- Then tap on the Force Stop button and confirm to stop the application.
- Now relaunch Sling TV and check if it is working fine.
Solution 2: Sign Out of the Sling TV Application and Then Sign Back into It
The Sling TV application may not work if there is a server-client communication glitch affecting it. In this scenario, signing out of the Sling TV application and then signing back into it may solve the problem.
- Launch the Sling TV application and then open its Settings.
- Now, in the Account tab, click on the Sign Out button.
- Then force close the application as discussed in solution 1.
- Now, relaunch the application and check if it is clear of the error.
Solution 3: Change Your Router’s Channel
Your router uses different channels to broadcast its signals but the issue arises, when in a small vicinity, a large number of routers start transmitting on the same channel. In this scenario, changing the channel of your router may solve the problem.
- Find the best Wi-Fi channel of your router and then edit the router settings to use that channel.
- After changing the channel, check if the issue is resolved.
If your device supports, then plug it directly to the modem/router (hardwired) and check if the issue is solved. If so, then the issue is caused by your Wi-Fi settings.
Solution 4: Try Another Network
ISPs tend to apply different methods and protocols to manage web traffic and safeguard its users. But in this process access to a resource essential for the operation of Sling TV (a known issue for the streaming services) can be blocked and thus cause the issue at hand. In this case, trying another network may solve the problem.
- Exit the Sling TV application and force close it (as discussed in solution 1).
- Disconnect your device/system from the current network and then connect to another network. If no other network is available, then you can try the hotspot of your phone.
- Now, launch the Sling TV application and check if it is operating fine. If so, then try to change the IP of the device (the one provided by your ISP), you may have to connect your current ISP for the resolution.
Solution 5: Clear the Cache of the Sling TV Application
The Sling TV application uses a cache to improve the user experience and boost up the performance. But Sling TV may not work if its cache is corrupt. In this case, clearing the cache of the Sling TV application may solve the problem. For illustration, we will discuss the process for a Fire TV Stick.
- Exit the Sling TV application and launch the Menu of your Fire TV Stick
- Now open Settings of it and then open Apps.
- Then select Manage Installed Application and open Sling TV.
- Now click on Clear Cache.
- Then launch the Sling TV application and check if it is operating fine.
- If not, repeat steps 1 to 5 and then click on Clear Data (you may have to re-login the application, so, keep the credentials available) of Sling TV application (option is available with Clear Cache at step 4).
- Now launch the Sling TV and then check if the issue is resolved.
Solution 6: Reinstall the Sling TV Application
You may encounter the error under discussion if the installation of the Sling TV application is corrupt (and the solutions above-mentioned did not help you). In this scenario, reinstalling the Sling TV application may solve the problem. For elucidation, we will try to guide you for the process on an Android phone. Keep the credentials available as you will have to re-login the application after the re-installation.
- Exit the Sling TV application and Force Stop it (as discussed in solution 1).
- Now, Clear Cache and Data of the Sling TV application (as discussed solution 6).
- Launch the Settings of your Android phone and open its Application Manager or Apps.
- Then open Sling TV and tap on the Uninstall button.
- Now, confirm to uninstall Sling TV and then restart your phone.
- Upon restart, reinstall the Sling TV application and check if it is operating fine.
Solution 7: Update the OS of Your Device to the Latest Build
The OS of your device is updated regularly to add new features (to satiate the latest technological advancements) and patch the known bugs. The Sling TV application may not work if the OS version of your device is outdated. In this scenario, updating the OS of your device may solve the problem.
- Backup your essential data and start charging your phone (proceed when at least charged to 90%).
- Now, connect your phone to a WIFI network (you may use mobile data but check the download size of the update).
- Launch the Settings of your iPhone and open General.
- Now, select Software Update, and if an update is shown, download and install it. You may have to enter the passcode of your phone.
- After updating iOS, check if the Sling TV application is clear of the error.
- On the Home screen of your Roku device, select Settings.
- Now, select System and open System Update.
- Then click on Check Now. The Roku Updates (if available) will be installed automatically.
- After updating, restart your Roku device and then check if the Sing TV is working fine.
Solution 8: Reset Your Device to Factory Defaults
If nothing has helped you so far, then the Sling TV issue could be a result of the corrupt OS/firmware of your device. In this scenario, resetting your device to the factory defaults may solve the problem. For illustration, we will try to guide you on how to reset Nvidia Shield.
Note: You should not reset devices like Android smartphones. This solution is only applicable to Firesticks and similar hardware.
- On the Home screen of the Nvidia Shield, open Settings.
- Then select Storage and Reset.
- Now select Factory Data Reset and then select Factory Data Reset to confirm to reset the device.
- After resetting the device, check if Sling TV is working fine.
If the issue persists, then try to replace your router (temporarily) and check if it was the reason behind the issue (it can be if you are using an obsolete router model).
Bonus: Reset the Browser Settings to the Defaults (Desktop Users)
If you are one of those users who use a browser to watch Sling TV, then the issue can be caused by the corrupt settings/configurations of the browser. In this scenario, resetting the browser settings to the defaults may solve the problem. For illustration, we will guide you to reset a Chrome browser. Before proceedings, make sure your browser is updated to the latest build.
- Launch the Chrome browser and open its menu (by clicking the three vertical ellipses near the top left of the window).
- Then, in the menu shown, click on Settings.
- Now, expand Advanced (in the left pane of the window) and then click on Reset and Cleanup.
- Now click on Reset Settings to Their Original Defaults and then confirm to reset the Settings.
- After resetting the browser, check if Sling TV is working fine.
Bonus: Change Location Mode of Your Device To GPS (Android users)
Sling TV uses the geographic location of a user to customize its content (and block where it does not operate). However, it will not work when it cannot find the proper location of a user. In this context, changing the location mode of your device to GPS may solve the problem. For elucidation, we will guide you on how to change location mode on an Android phone.
- Exit the Sling TV application and force close it as discussed in solution 1.
- Launch the Settings of your Android phone and select Location.
- Then, tap on Mode and select Device Only (that uses GPS).
- Now launch the Sling TV application and check if it is operating fine.