It’s mostly an issue with your device, browser, or connection that is causing Facebook to stop working. You might be unable to log in to your account or have a problem while downloading Facebook content. Luckily, all these issues can be resolved easily. Troubleshooting may sound intimidating, but with the right information and steps, you can get yourself back online on Facebook in no time.
Check your internet connection if you have a ‘Facebook not working’ issue. If the problem persists, try clearing all cached data and cookies from the web browser. Then, update your browser to its latest version and disable any add-ons or extensions that might be causing an issue. With these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the ‘Facebook not working’ error.
This article will discuss some of the common causes and solutions for the “Facebook not working” error.
1. Check for outages.
Outages occur when a service or website experiences technical difficulties and stops working temporarily. To check if Facebook is experiencing an outage in your area, visit DownDetector.com and search for Facebook. You can easily check for outages.
- Open your browser and type Downdetector.com.
- Once on the website, search Facebook in the search bar to check its server status.
2. Check your internet connection.
Make sure that your internet connection is stable and working properly. You may need to refresh the page or restart your router if necessary.
To check your internet connection, follow these steps:
- Connect to the router and ensure that it is turned on; then, open the browser.
- Run a speed test to confirm that you are getting sufficient download and upload speeds.
- Make sure your modem is connected securely to the router.
- Check for any loose cables or connections that may be causing interference.
- Restart the router and try again.
3. Force restart your device.
Restarting the device shuts down all programs running in the background. Sometimes, these background apps or programs slow down your device and cause glitches. A restart boosts the system and starts your device anew, thereby clearing any temporary glitches that are preventing apps from working normally.
If you are unable to load images or videos on Facebook, or you cannot log in to the app, restarting the device can help you resolve these issues. You can employ the side key combinations to force restart your Android or iPhone.
4. Update or re-enable the app.
If you are trying to access Facebook through a mobile device, try updating the app. Oftentimes, the Facebook app becomes glitchy and fails to log you in or load content. You can go to the Play Store/App Store and look for the latest update. If there is no update available, it means your Facebook is running on the latest version. In this case, try disabling and then re-enabling the app.
Facebook comes pre-installed on many Android and iPhone devices; therefore, you cannot uninstall the app. However, you can utilize the disable option to fix the issue.
In order to re-enable the app:
- Tap and hold the Facebook app icon on your mobile device.
- Select ‘Disable‘ from the options that appear.
- Go to the phone Settings and search for the Facebook app.
- Tap Enable on the app info page.
5. Update the operating system.
Updating the mobile operating system is one of the most effective ways to resolve Facebook login errors. This is because software updates often include hotfixes and security patches that can help improve the overall performance of your device. In the case of a Facebook loading issue, a software update may include a solution for the problem you’re experiencing.
Go to Settings and scroll down to select Software updates.
Here, tap Download update.
Go to Settings > General > Software Updates.
Now, tap the Download option.
After the update is completed, restart your device and try logging into Facebook again.
6. Clear the cache and cookies.
Cache and cookies are files that store information about websites you have visited, such as login information. When these files become outdated or corrupted, they can prevent Facebook from functioning properly. Clearing them from your browser will reset any settings that may be causing an issue.
To do this, you’ll need to open up the settings menu of your web browser and look for an option to “clear history.” Once this is done, restart the browser and try accessing Facebook again.
- Open the browser Settings.
- Select Privacy and Security
- Select Clear Browsing Data.
- Choose to clear either cookies and other site data or cached images and files.
- Click on the Clear Data button.
- Refresh the page and try using Facebook again.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Facebook.
- Here, tap on Storage.
- Now hit the Clear Cache button.
7. Update your browser.
Updating your browser is another potential solution for fixing the issue of Facebook not working. This ensures that you have the latest version of the web browser and any available security patches.
Make sure your web browser is up-to-date, as some older versions of web browsers can cause problems with Facebook. To update your browser’s version, follow these steps:
- Go to the web browser’s website.
- Look for an option to update the browser version or download a newer one.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation/update process.
- Restart your computer/device and try using Facebook again.
8. Disable add-ons or extensions.
Add-ons and extensions are third-party software installed in your web browser, adding functionalities such as ad blockers and download managers.
If you have any add-ons or extensions installed on your browser, these can sometimes interfere with Facebook. Try disabling any add-ons or extensions that might be causing the issue.
- Open the web browser settings.
- Select the option to manage add-ons/extensions.
- Disable any plugins or extensions that could be causing an issue with Facebook.
- Refresh the page and try again.
9. Try a different browser.
If none of the above solutions has worked for you, it could be due to a compatibility issue between Facebook and your web browser. To test this theory, try accessing Facebook using another web browser.
For example, you can try:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- UC Browser
- Microsoft Edge
10. Contact Facebook support.
If you are experiencing a problem with Facebook and none of the above steps have worked for you, it might be time to contact Facebook support. To ensure your issue is addressed quickly and accurately, gather as much information as possible about the problem before talking to support. Include screenshots or links, if applicable.
- Go to the Facebook Help Center page.
- Select an option from the available categories related to your issue.
- Follow the prompts and provide any necessary information.
- Submit your request and wait for a response from Facebook support.
These are some common causes and solutions for the ‘Facebook not working’ issue. With these troubleshooting steps, it is possible to resolve this problem and get back to using Facebook properly.
Remember, if all else fails, you can always contact Facebook support for assistance. They are available 24/7 and can help answer any of your questions. Don’t forget to gather all the necessary information before contacting support, and you should have your Facebook account back up and running in no time.