Why is my Facebook Not Working?
It’s mostly an issue with your device, browser, or connection that is causing Facebook to stop working. You might be unable to log in to your account or have a problem while downloading Facebook content. Luckily, all these issues can be solved easily. Troubleshooting may sound intimidating but with the right information and steps, you can get yourself back online on Facebook in no time.
Check your internet connection if you have a ‘Facebook not working’ issue. If the problem persists, try clearing all the cached data and cookies from the web browser. Then update your browser to its latest version and disable any add-ons or extensions that might be causing an issue. With these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the Facebook not working error.
This article will discuss some of the common causes and solutions for the “Facebook not working” error.
1. Check for Outages
Outages are when a service or website experiences technical difficulties and stops working temporarily. To check if Facebook is experiencing an outage in your area, visit DownDetector.com and search for Facebook. You can check for outages very easily.
- Open your browser and type Downdetector.com.
- Once on the website, search Facebook in the search bar to check its server status.
2. Check Your Internet Connection
Make sure that your internet connection is stable and working properly. You may need to refresh the page or restart your router if necessary.
To check your internet connection, follow the following steps:
- Connect to the router and determine that it is turned on, then open the browser.
- Run a speed test to confirm that you are getting sufficient download and upload speeds.
- Make sure your modem is connected securely to the router.
- Check for any loose cables or connections that may be causing interference.
- Restart the router and try again.
3. Force Restart Your Device
Restarting the device shuts down all programs running in the background. Sometimes these background apps/programs slow down your device and cause glitches. A restart boosts the system and starts your device afresh. Thereby, clearing any temporary glitches that are preventing apps to work normally.
If you are unable to load images/videos on Facebook or you can’t log in to the app, restarting the device can help you sort out these issues. You can utilize the side key combinations to force restart your Android or iPhone.
4. Update/Re-enable the App
If you’re trying to access Facebook through a mobile device, try updating the app. Oftentimes, the Facebook app becomes glitchy and fails to log you in or load content. You can go to the Play Store/App store and look for the latest update. If there is no update available, it means your Facebook is running on the latest version. In this case, try disabling and then re-enabling the app.
Facebook comes pre-installed on many Android and iPhone devices. Therefore, you can not uninstall the app. However, you can utilize the disable option to fix the issue.
In order to re-enable the app:
- Tap and hold the Facebook app icon on your mobile.
- Select Disable from the options that show up.
- Go to the phone Settings and search for the Facebook app.
- Tap Enable on the app info page.
5. Update Operating System
Updating the mobile operating system is one of the most effective ways to resolve Facebook login errors. This is because software updates often include hotfixes and security patches that can help improve the overall performance of your device. In the case of a Facebook loading issue, a software update includes a solution for the issue you’re experiencing.
Go to Settings and scroll down to select Software updates.
Here, tap Download update.
Go to Settings > General > Software Updates.
Now, tap the Download option.
After the update has been completed, Restart your device and try logging into Facebook again.
6. Clear Cache and Cookies
Cache and cookies are files that store information about websites you’ve visited, such as login info. When these files become outdated or corrupted, they can prevent Facebook from working properly. Clearing them from your browser will reset any settings that may be causing an issue.
To do this, you’ll need to open up the settings menu of your web browser, and look for an option to “clear history.” Once this is done, restart the browser and try accessing Facebook again.
- Open the browser Settings.
- Select Privacy and Security
- Select Clear Browsing Data.
- Choose to clear Cookies and other site data or Cached images and files.
- Click on the Clear Data button.
- Refresh the page and try using Facebook again.
- Go to Settings > Apps > Facebook.
- Here, tap on Storage.
- Now hit the Clear Cache button.
7. Update Your Browser
Updating your browser is another potential solution for fixing the Facebook not working issue. This ensures that you have the latest version of the web browser and any security patches that may be available.
Make sure your web browser is up-to-date, as some older versions of web browsers can cause problems with Facebook. To update your browser version, follow these steps:
- Go to the web browser’s website.
- Look for an option to update the browser version or download a newer version.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation/update process.
- Restart your computer/device and try using Facebook again.
8. Disable Add-ons or Extensions
Add-ons and extensions can be third-party software that is installed into your web browser. These programs can add functionality to the browser, such as ad blockers or download managers.
If you have any add-ons or extensions installed on your browser, these can sometimes interfere with Facebook. Try disabling any add-ons or extensions that might be causing the issue.
- Open the web browser settings.
- Select the option to manage add-ons/extensions.
- Disable any plugins or extensions that could be causing an issue with Facebook.
- Refresh the page and try again.
9. Try a Different Browser
If none of the above solutions have worked for you, it could be due to a compatibility issue between Facebook and your web browser. To test this theory, try accessing Facebook using another web browser.
For example, you can try:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- UC Browser
- Microsoft Edge
10. Contact Facebook Support
If you are experiencing a problem with Facebook and none of the above steps have worked for you, it might be time to contact Facebook support. To make sure your issue is addressed quickly and accurately, gather as much information as possible about the issue before talking to support. Include screenshots or links, if applicable.
- Go to the Facebook Help Center page.
- Select an option from the available categories related to your issue.
- Follow the prompts and provide any necessary information.
- Submit your request and wait for a response from Facebook support.
These are some common causes and solutions for the “Facebook not working” issue. With these troubleshooting steps, it’s possible to solve this issue and get back to using Facebook properly.
Remember, if all else fails you can always contact Facebook support for assistance. They’re available 24/7 and can help answer any of your questions. Don’t forget to gather all the necessary information before contacting support, and you should have your Facebook account back up and running in no time