A lot of you might have, at one time, restricted someone on Facebook. Perhaps it was your boss, or a friend that you had a falling out with, or a nosy uncle or aunt that kept interfering in your business which led you to restricting them on Facebook.
But what if times have since changed and you want to unrestrict them? In this article, we’ll show you how to unrestrict someone on Facebook in just a few clicks. You’ll learn how to do it on the Facebook app on your phone, as well as on the Facebook website.
Table of Contents:
What Does it Mean to Restrict Someone on Facebook?
Restricting someone on Facebook is a way of hiding your posts and stories from them without removing them from your friend list.
This means that they can still send you messages, call you, or tag you in their posts, but they won’t be able to see any of your activity unless it’s public or you tag them in it. This ensures your privacy without actually having to remove them as friends. It’s very different from blocking someone or removing them from your friend list entirely.
Can You Unrestrict Someone on Facebook?
Yes! If you want to revive your friendship with someone on Facebook again, you can decide to unrestrict them, which will allow them to see and interact with your posts and updates.
It is to be noted that if your own account got restricted by Facebook because of objectional content, breaching terms of service or violating community standards, you can still get your fully functional account back. You could do so by waiting it out, or by contacting Facebook’s help center.
Methods to Unrestrict Someone on Facebook
Now that you’re caught up to speed, let’s see how you can unrestrict someone on Facebook. We will discuss multiple ways of doing this on different platforms, starting with the website.
1. How to Unrestrict Using the Website:
If you use Facebook on your computer or laptop and want to unrestrict someone using the website, there are two different ways you can go about it. The first one is:
- Go to Facebook.com, and log into your account if you have not already.
- Now go the profile of the friend you want to restrict and then, click on where it says Friends.
- A drop-down menu will appear before you, where you can see the option of Edit Friend List.
- From the options that appear, look at the one that says Restricted and then, click on the checkbox to uncheck it and unrestrict that friend.
The second method will allow you to see all of those people you have restricted over the years and remove them from the restricted list all together in one place. To do that:
- Go to your Feed and then look for the option of “Friends” on the left vertical menu.
- On the next page, you will be able to see the option of “Custom lists,” click on that.
- Click on “Restricted” to see all those people that you have restricted and then, click on the small cross next to a person’s profile picture to unrestrict them on Facebook.
2. How to Unrestrict Using the App
Unrestricing someone on Facebook using the app is no different from the website as the steps are exactly the same. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Facebook app on your phone and search for the profile of the friend you want to unrestrict.
- Tap on the box that says “Friends.”
- A box with new options should appear before you. From them, tap on “Edit Friend List.”
- You will see some friend lists appear before you. Tap on “Restricted” to remove the checkmark in front of it and unrestrict your friend.
How to unrestrict your own account on Facebook?
Your own Facebook account could get restricted by Facebook. Why? Spamming, posting inappropriate content and copyright infringement are some of the possible reasons. Facebook can restrict your account, whether it’s a temporary block lasting a few hours, or escalate to a permanent suspension, contingent upon the severity and nature of the violation committed.
- For minor violations like spamming, the restriction can vary from a few hours to a day.
- For major violations like hate speech and others, your account can get restricted for several days to weeks.
Nevertheless, the best course of action in the case of a short-term restriction is to patiently wait for the penalty duration to expire, while refraining from further violations. In case of long-term violations or permanent suspension, you can contact Facebook’s Help Center and request a review.
After getting your account unrestricted, there are a few things to keep in mind, so as to prevent this kind of thing from happening again in the future.
- Always be mindful of the community standards of Facebook.
- Refrain from participation in any sort of hate speech or controversial posts.
- Do not impersonate someone or use fake names for your ID.
- Copyright infringement is a very common reason for account restriction. So, always seek permission before posting such content.
While this guide equips you to unrestrict someone on Facebook, it’s essential to note that serious infractions may impede account restoration. Should you require further clarification or assistance feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll help you out.
If you have restricted someone, they will only be able to see the posts that you have made with public privacy settings and those posts in which they have been mentioned.
Yes, Facebook can permanently disable your account for violation of its policies. However, this is usually a last resort after multiple warnings or temporary suspensions.
Restriction hides your posts from someone without unfriending. Blocking stops all interaction and visibility between you two.
Yes, profile and cover photo updates are always public.
They can see that specific interaction, but not your other restricted posts.