Google Chrome automatically checks for new updates regularly and installs them when the browser closes and reopens. Some users prefer to disable the automatic update feature and use manual updating. The users can check the Chrome version and the date of update anytime they want to. However, some new users are unaware of how to check the version and date of the last Chrome update. In this article, we will be showing you methods through which you can check the chrome version and the last time chrome was updated.
Sometimes the updates will be pending due to several different reasons. If a user hasn’t closed the browser in a while, they will see the update option at the top right corner. The update button will have different colors depending on the days.
Google Chrome Version and the Last Time Chrome Updated
The version details of Google Chrome will be the same on all the methods. However, the updated date will be different depending on the user’s browser settings. If your chrome has the automatic update enabled, then most of the time the release date and updated date will be similar. Some of the methods don’t have the updated date option; therefore, we will check the release date in those methods.
However, the dates can be different for the users who manually update Google Chrome. Also, if you manually update the Chrome, then skip the checking of release date steps.
How to Check your Google Chrome version
There are several different methods to check the Google Chrome version details in the browser. We are going to show you the official method of checking the Google Chrome version. It has an option in the Settings that shows the currently installed version of Google Chrome. However, it will not show the date of the update as some other methods will show. Therefore, we can use some sites to find the release date of the latest Google Chrome update.
Note: The release date will be similar to the updated date for the users who have automatic update enabled.
Google Chrome About Option:
- Open Google Chrome by double-clicking on the shortcut. You can also search for Google Chrome through the Windows search feature.
- Click on the Settings and more option at the top right corner. Now choose the Help option in the list and click on the About Google Chrome option.
Note: You can also find this option in the Settings > About.
- This will show the Google Chrome version that is installed on your computer.
- Another alternative is to type the “chrome://version” command in the address bar to get the version details.
- You can also type the “chrome://system” command in the address bar to open the About System page. There you can see the Google Chrome version that you are running.
Searching through Google:
- Open your browser by double-clicking on the shortcut or searching it through the Windows search feature.
- Go to the WhatIsMyBrowser site and click on the Chrome icon as shown in the screenshot.
- Now you can see the version and release date details for all platforms.
How can I tell when my Google Chrome was updated?
There is a method for checking when your Google Chrome was updated along with some more details regarding the update. You can check the details of the Google Chrome browser by using the Command Prompt. We can use a command to get the details available in the Registry Editor. It will contain the information on the Chrome version and the updated date.
- Search for the Command Prompt through the Windows search feature. You can also press the Windows + R key to open Run, then type “cmd” in it and press Enter.
- Now type the following command in your Command Prompt window and press Enter.
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome"
- It will show the details of some Registry values related to Google Chrome. You can see the version number and the modified date in the list.
- You can also simply open Registry Editor and navigate to the following directory to see the information assigned to values.