AMD Software Stuck on Downloading Installer Update generally occurs while updating the AMD GPU driver on the Windows system. The problem is likely to appear when you are not having ownership of the directories which is holding the setup files. This is very troublesome as Windows users are not able to install their AMD software or the driver update.
And using an outdated driver version is likely to cause various problems on the Windows system so, it is very important to update the AMD software. Therefore, we have done our research and put together the entire potential fixes that work for many users to solve the problem. But before starting with the solutions it is important to learn the common culprits causing the problem with the AMD driver software
What Causes AMD Software Stuck on Downloading Installer Update Problem?
- Administrative Privilege: If you haven’t provided the software administrative privilege, other third-party applications can conflict with the software and cause these sorts of issues with the AMD driver and stop it from downloading the update. So, make sure you are running your Windows system as an administrator.
- Antivirus Software: The antivirus software is known for blocking other applications considering them as a threat and might conflict with the AMD software install update download process and result in AMD freezing or stuck while updating on the Windows system. So, in this situation disabling the antivirus program temporarily might work for you to solve the problem in your case.
- VPN and Proxy server issues: Some users reported that this issue is happening due to VPNs and Proxy servers. So if you are using a VPN or a proxy service then you are more likely to see this sort of problem. Check if you are using a VPN or proxy then prevent using them and then switch to a different internet connection.
- Incomplete Installation of Drivers: Sometimes the incomplete driver installation can also conflict with the latest driver installation and stop it from installation. Therefore, in this situation try performing a fresh installation of the driver.
Now that you are aware of the fact what is causing the AMD to stuck or freeze upon installation, here follow the potential solutions to fix the problem on your Windows system.
1. Run as Administrator
Many apps and software require administrative rights to run properly and perform various updates, so it is important to provide the software administrative privilege so that no other third-party applications and services can conflict with the software. So, it is recommended to run your Windows system with administrative privilege.
To provide the administrative privilege to Windows follow the steps given:
- Right-click on the start menu icon and click on the Run as administrator
- Now check if the issue is resolved or not.
2. Boot Your System in Safe Mode to Install the Drivers
If running your Windows system as administrator won’t work for you then boot your Windows system in safe mode and then try installing the AMD software installer update in safe mode and check if this works for you to solve the problem or not. This worked for many users so, you can also give it a try and check if it helps you to solve the issue.
Follow the steps given to do so:
- Click on the Start icon and then click on the Power icon.
- Now click on the Restart button while holding the shift button.
- Then click on the Troubleshoot option and then click on the Advanced option.
- Now click on the Startup settings option and then click on the restart button.
- Then press F5 on your keyboard to enable safe mode.
Once your system is in the boot in safe mode try installing the AMD software installer update to see if the problem is resolved or not.
3. Check Ownership of AMD Directory
The missing ownership over the AMD software directory setup can also cause a problem for many users when downloading the AMD software installer update and as a result, users reported that this method helped them to solve the issue, so we will recommend you to give it a try. By applying this method, you will have full ownership of the software. To check ownership of the AMD directory, follow the steps given:
- Navigate to the AMD directory created by the setup that is majorly C:\AMD.
- Now right-click on the directory and click on the Properties option.
- Then click on the Security tab and then click on the Advanced button.
- Now click on the Change option beside the owner section.
- Then under the Enter the object name to select (field), enter your username and click on the Check Names option.
- Now check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects option.
Now save the changes and check if it helps you to solve the issue.
4. Disable Antivirus
The antivirus program is most likely to cause various troubles and if you are using any third-party security systems or Windows Defender, then it can conflict with the AMD software update download and can cause this issue. So, it is recommended to disable the security systems of your computer and check if it helps you to solve the issue. To disable your antivirus follow the steps mentioned below:
- Press Windows + I to open the Windows settings.
- Now click on the Privacy & Security option.
- Then click on the Windows Security option and then click on the Virus and Threat protection option.
- Now click on the Manage Settings option and disable the Real-Time Protection.
- Now launch the software and check if the issue is resolved or not.
4.1 Third-Party Antiviruses
- Launch the third-party antivirus and go to the settings.
- Now click on the disable tab and turn off all the protections.
- Now restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved or not.
5. Disable VPN and Proxy
Many users who are using the VPN or proxy service and app are facing problems with the VPN service. So, if you are using any VPN service or proxy server on your computer it is recommended to disable the VPN service or the proxy server as it can also cause this issue. To disable the proxy server follow the steps given:
- Press Windows + I to launch the Windows settings.
- Now click on the Network & Internet option available on the left side.
- Then click on the proxy option.
- Enable the Automatically detect settings ON and disable the Use a proxy server and save the changes.
- Now launch the software and try downloading the update to see if the problem is fixed or not.
Moreover, if you using a VPN service then disable the VPN app switch to another internet connection which is having good speed and stability, and then try downloading the update to see AMD software installer update is installed or not.
6. Reinstall the AMD Software (Using DDU)
If none of the methods mentioned above didn’t work for you, we will recommend reinstalling the drivers using DDU. As a corrupted or incomplete AMD software installation might cause conflict or if some of the installation files go missing you are most likely to face the issue. This method will help you to solve all the graphics-related issues.
DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) application is used for uninstalling the system drivers completely without leaving any traces. However, one can use device manager instead of DDU but for the exact result, it is suggested to use DDU and reinstall the driver.
To reinstall the drivers follow the steps given:
- If you do not have the DDU application installed on your computer, download it by clicking the link here.
- Once you have downloaded the DDU software, open the downloaded file and extract DDU.
- Now press Windows + I on your keyboard and get into the Windows settings.
- Then click on the Update and Security
- Now click on the Recovery option available on the left side.
- Then click on the Restart now button under the Advanced Startup section to enable recovery mode.
- Now click on the Troubleshoot option and then click on Advanced options.
- Now click on the Startup Settings and then click on the Restart
- And click to enable to boot your computer in Safe Mode.
- Once the reboot process is done, launch the Display Driver Uninstaller.exe.
- Now select your preferences in the option and select your device type.
- You also need to select your graphics card manufacturer.
- Now click on the Clean and Restart option.
And as your system restarts, you need to install the graphics driver to do so visit the graphic card manufacturer’s website and install the latest version available compatible with your system.
Now after successfully installing the driver restart your system and try launching the AMD software and downloading the installer update to see if the problem is resolved.
Well, the AMD Software Stuck on Downloading Installer Update is quite an irritating problem and it is estimated the steps given work for you to solve the problem and download the update the AMD software update without any problem.