Need to factory reset a Fire Stick or TV, whether to troubleshoot an existing issue or prepare the device for a new user? The process for resetting will vary depending on the situation at hand.
Before you initiate a factory reset for your Fire Stick or TV, be aware that all data will be erased. If the device contains important information, ensure you back it up if possible. Additionally, some of the following methods may not apply to your particular situation, so feel free to skip those and use the ones that do.
How to Reset a Fire Stick or TV Using a Remote
For those with a remote, a reset can be done easily using these steps:
1. Reset through Settings
In the event that your remote isn’t working, you can alternatively use your TV’s universal remote control, if it supports this feature.
- Head to the device’s Settings and then My Fire TV.
- Select Reset to Factory Defaults and confirm the action.
- After resetting, set up the Fire Stick according to your preferences and check if the issue is resolved.
2. Reset Using the Remote Buttons
- Press and hold the Back button and the Right side of the navigation circle simultaneously.
- After 10 seconds, release the buttons when you see the reset screen.
- Select the Factory Reset option. If you take no action, the reset process will begin automatically after a short delay.
- Wait for the stick to restart automatically, which could take a few seconds, then reconfigure it as needed.
If the remote fails to reset the Fire Stick, try inserting a fresh pair of batteries and repeat the steps above.
3. Reset Using Voice Commands
For those with a voice-enabled remote, you can execute a factory reset with specific voice commands.
How to Reset a Fire Stick or TV Without a Remote
If the remote is inaccessible, non-functional, or the Fire Stick/TV isn’t responding, consider these alternative methods:
1. Reset Using the Fire TV Buttons
This method applies only to a Fire TV and not a Fire Stick.
- Access the Fire TV Settings using the TV buttons and navigate to My Fire TV.
- Select ‘Reset to Factory Defaults’ and confirm your selection to start the process.
- After completion, configure the TV as needed before handing it over or using it yourself.
2. Reset Using the Fire TV App
Through the Linked App
This method is feasible only if the app is already paired with the Fire Stick or TV.
- Open the Fire TV app on your smartphone and navigate to Settings > My Fire TV.
- Select Factory Reset and follow the prompts to reset your device.
- Once completed, configure the device and verify its functionality.
Link the Fire TV App Through a Hotspot
Should your Fire Stick or TV have been previously connected to a now inaccessible Wi-Fi network, mimic that network with a mobile hotspot:
- Turn on the hotspot on another smartphone. Set the hotspot’s name and password to match the Wi-Fi network previously used by the Fire device.
- Download the Fire TV app on another phone and connect it to the hotspot.
- Check for communication between the app and the Fire device and if successful, use the app to reset the device.
3. Use the Reset Button
For Fire devices or TVs with a dedicated reset button, this could be the solution.
- Find the reset button on the device and keep it pressed, possibly with a pin or other small object.
- Release when the device restarts, then proceed to configure it and ensure it reaches the Home screen.
4. Reset Through Recovery Mode
On a Fire TV, the Android recovery screen can also be used for resetting:
- Disconnect the TV from power and hold down the Input button.
- After 15 seconds, while still holding the Input button, reconnect the power cable.
- Once the OEM or Fire TV logo appears, release the button. If the recovery screen doesn’t show, try the steps again.
- Within the Android Recovery screen, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm. Use the Volume buttons for navigation.
- Setup the TV post-reset as needed.
5. Use a Keyboard or Mouse to Factory Reset the Fire Stick or TV
In absence of TV buttons, a keyboard or mouse may do the trick:
- Link a keyboard to the Fire TV using an OTG cable.
- Power down the device by unplugging the cable and waiting a moment.
- Reconnect the power, then as soon as the Fire TV logo is on screen, enter the following key combination:
Alt + Print Screen + i
- The device will reboot, interrupting all tasks.
- Replicate this procedure until the device opens the Recovery Environment.
- In the Recovery Environment, use the arrow keys to highlight Factory Reset and confirm with the Enter key.
- When the process concludes, verify that the device functions as intended.
6. Reset Using ADB and TWRP
For those with more technical expertise, ADB or TWRP may be options to consider for resetting the device or TV. However, you need to have previously authorized your PC on the Fire Stick. If you can access the device via a remote, app, or keyboard, utilize those for the reset and forgo ADB.
Reset Through ADB
If developer options, such as ADB debugging, USB debugging, and installation from unknown sources were enabled and the PC already authorized on the Fire device, follow these steps:
Warning: Proceed at your own risk. Advanced knowledge is required for these steps, and they may void your warranty if the device is still covered.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt as an administrator and enter:
adb connect <IP address of the Fire Stick> or adb devices
- To navigate to the device settings:
adb shell am start -n com.amazon.tv.launcher/.ui.SettingsActivity
- To reset the Fire Stick:
adb shell am broadcast -a com.amazon.tv.intent.action.MASTER_CLEAR
- The device should return to factory settings if all is successful.
Reset Through TWRP Recovery (Advanced Users Only)
We’re hopeful that these instructions have been helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section below.