Companies and businesses are becoming more network reliant. All of this is due to the digital world and how much an online presence can impact your business. Having an online presence attracts users from around the globe which results in a financial and user base boost. Maintaining networks used to be a tough job back in the days because you had to do everything manually and not remotely. However, thanks to the upgrade in technology and the development of modern tools, that is all behind us. To maintain a network, you must track the devices that connected to your network. This used to be almost an impossible task, but not anymore.
User Device Tracker is a networking tool developed by Solarwinds, an American company known for producing and developing high tier networking and system management tools. With User Device Tracker or UDT, you can track the user devices connected to your system. Another feature that the tool is compiled with is the port monitoring feature. Using UDT, you can monitor the ports on your network i.e. track real-time information regarding the ports like the status of the port, which service or user is utilizing the port and more. If you wish to know more about the features of the tool, please head to this detailed article published on our site that compares it with other similar products.
Installing User Device Tracker
To install User Device Tracker, you will have to download the Solarwinds Orion Installer. You can download the file by heading to this link. Provide the required information and then click ‘Proceed to Free Download’. Once you have downloaded the file, please follow the instructions below to install the tool:
- Run the downloaded file to initiate the Orion Installer Wizard.
- Once the installation wizard loads up, choose Lightweight Installation and choose where you wish to install the tool by clicking Browse. After that, click Next.
- Make sure User Device Tracker is selected on the Products page and click Next.
- Wait for the application to run a few system checks.
- After that, agree to the license terms and click Next.
- The wizard will start downloading installers for User Device Tracker and then install the tool. Wait for it to complete.
- Once the installation has completed successfully, the Configuration Wizard will be loaded automatically. Click Next.
- On the Service Settings page, click Next.
- Click Next again and wait for the Configuration wizard to complete.
- Once it has finished, click Finish.
With User Device Tracker installed on your device, it is time you log in to web console and start discovering your network. To do this, follow the below instructions:
- Upon clicking Finish on the Configuration Wizard, you will be prompted the Orion web console on a web browser.
- First, it will ask you to create a password for the admin account. Provide a password and then press Enter.
- Afterward, go to Settings > Network Discovery.
- Now, to discover your network, click on Add New Discovery.
- Once you click that, you will be taken to the Network Sonar Wizard where you are given four choices of how you want to discover your network. You can either provide IP addresses, subnets or use the Active Directory Domain Controller. After providing that, click Next.
- On the Agents tab, you can just click Next.
- Click Next on the Virtualization and Config Management pages.
- Now, on the SNMP page, if you are not using any SNMPv3 community strings, click Next. In case one of your devices uses SNMPv1 or SNMPv2 community strings other than public or private, click Add Credential.
- After that, on the Windows tab, if you wish to WMI enabled Windows devices, click Add New Credential and then provide the required information. Click Next.
- Now, choose WMI as the polling method if you are discovering Windows devices. This doesn’t mean SNMP will be ignored, it just implies that WMI will be given priority. Just leave ‘Manually set up monitoring after devices are discovered’ selected and click Next.
- Give the discovery a name on the Discovery Settings and click Next.
- Click Discover on the Discovery Scheduling page to start the discovery.
Adding Discovered Devices
Now that you have discovered your devices using the Network Sonar Wizard, you will have to add them to the User Device Tracker tool. Here’s how to do it:
- Once the Network Sonar Wizard has finished discovering your network, you will be prompted a list of discovered devices. Select the devices you want to add and then click Next.
- Select the types of Interfaces you want to monitor and then click Next.
- On the Ports page, select the ports you want to monitor and click Next. By default, only the ports that are up are selected.
- Select Volume and Application types and then click Next.
- Preview the devices to be imported and then click Import.
- Once the import has finished, click Finish on the Results page.
Selecting Nodes for Monitoring
Now that the nodes are added, it is time you select the nodes that you want to monitor and start tracking. Here’s how to do this:
- In the toolbar, click on Settings > All Settings > UDT Settings.
- Afterward, click Manage Nodes.
- Now, on the Port Management page, choose Nodes from the Show drop-down menu. Also, choose ‘UDT Unmonitored Nodes’ from the ‘Filter to’ drop-down menu.
- Select the nodes you want to monitor and click the ‘Monitor Node with UDT’ button.
- Afterward, navigate to My Dashboard > Device Tracker > Device Tracker Summary. The nodes might take a while to be displayed.