While playing the GTA V if you are seeing the error message “Unable to detect Windows Media Player on your System. Please Install Windows Media Player, then retry the installation” then you are not alone. This error is reported by countless GTA V players and they are unable to launch the game. Well, the error message clearly states that the Windows Media Player on the Windows 10 system is not installed on your PC.
So, if you haven’t installed the Windows Media Player software then you are more likely to see the error, as this software is required during the GTA V installation or while running the game. Despite this, some gamers also reported that even if the Windows Media player is turned on they are still seeing the error and fail to install the game.
Therefore, here we have done our research and listed the most possible solutions to fix the error but before starting with the solutions find out the common culprits responsible for the error.
What Causes GTA V Unable to Detect Media Player Error?
- Running Outdated Windows: The outdated Windows version may cause this error, as it stops the game files from functioning properly and establishing a connection with the server. So, make sure you are using the latest version of the Windows Operating System as older versions of operating systems can cause these sorts of issues.
- Missing Windows Media Player: If the Windows media player is turned off then it is the main reason for the error, so make sure it is enabled on your Windows 10 computer. Also, make sure you are using the latest version of the Windows Media Player as older versions can cause this issue.
- Corrupted or Missing Game Files: If any of the game files are missing or corrupted then the game can have trouble detecting the media player and is most likely to show the error message when running
- Outdated Game: If you are using an older version of the game, then this can cause a compatibility issues and stop the game from functioning properly. So, try updating the game or installing the latest version on your Windows system.
So, these are some of the common culprits responsible for the error, now follow the fixes given one by one.
1. Restart your computer
Restarting the system is always effective in fixing common bugs and glitches with the game. So very first it is suggested to reboot your PC and then launch the game. This helps you to offer a fresh start of the system and the game without showing any sort of glitches and bugs.
2. Update Windows Operating System
If you haven’t updated the Windows operating system for a while, it is recommended to update the operating system. As the issue can be presented in that specific version of Windows, updating the operating system can solve the issue. To update the operating system follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Right-click on the Start icon and click on the Settings
- And in Settings, click on the Windows update option.
- Now click on the Check for updates option and Windows will search and download updates if available.
- Then restart your PC and launch the game and check if the unable to detect media player error GTA V issue is resolved or not.
If this method doesn’t work for you, move to the next fix.
3. Install or Enable Windows Media Player
The main reason responsible for the error is the Windows media player is not installed or disabled. Sometimes Windows Media Player gets disabled by default by the operating system and you need to enable or install it manually to access it. To enable Windows Media Player, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Right-click on the Start icon and click on the Settings
- In Settings, click on the Apps option and then click on the Apps & Features
- Then in the Apps & Features option, click on optional features.
- And click on the Add a feature option.
- Now scroll down and check the Windows Media Player box and click on the install
- Then Windows will install Windows Media player.
Now launch the game and check if the issue is resolved or not. If not move to the next fix. Moreover, you can also enable the Windows media player in the Windows system by following the steps given below:
- Click on the Windows start button and in the search box type CMD
- Now open Control Panel and click on the Program option
- Then click on the option Turn Windows Features On or OFF
- Now go to the Media Feature and make sure the “Windows Media Player” option is checked.
And try to install the GTA 5 game or try launching the game to see if the problem is resolved.
4. Update Windows Media Player
Running outdated applications can also cause trouble and if you haven’t updated Windows Media Player for a long time then it can also cause this issue. So, it is recommended to update the Windows Media Player application and launch the Grand Theft Auto V game to see if it starts running properly. To update the Windows Media Player, follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Click on the Start Menu and search for Microsoft Store in the search bar.
- Now open Microsoft Store, and click on the Library icon available on the left side.
- In Library, click on the Get updates option available in the top-right.
- Now check if any update is available for the Windows Media Player.
- If yes, download it and restart the PC.
Now launch the game and check if the error still appears or not.
5. Verify the Integrity of Game Files
Any corrupted or missing game file can also trouble when launching or running the game. So, if any of the GTA V game files get damaged or missing during the installation it is most likely to show this error. So, it is recommended to verify the integrity of the game files via the game client. To verify the integrity of the game files follows the instructions mentioned below.
- Launch the Steam client and click on the Library.
- Now right click on the GTA V game and click on the Verify the integrity of game files
- Then let Steam recover or fix if any game file is corrupted or missing.
- After the process, restart the PC and launch the game to see if the GTA 5 Online not working problem is resolved.
Epic Games Client
- Launch the Epic Games client and log in with your credentials.
- Now go to the game library and click on the 3 dots available beside the name of the game and click on the verify option.
- Then let Epic verify and fix if any file is corrupted or missing.
Once the process is done, restart your PC and launch the game and check if the issue is resolved or not. If not, move to the next fix.
6. Update the Game
Here it is recommended to update the game as the issue can be there in that specific version of the game and Rockstar Games might have fixed that with a patch in further updates. To update the game, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Lunch the Steam Client and click on the Library
- In Library, right-click on the GTA V game and click on the check for updates
- Now let Steam check and download the update if available.
- Restart your PC to let the changes take effect and launch the game to check if the error is resolved or not.
It is estimated now the Unable To Detect Media Player Error on GTA V is resolved. But is on the case still seeing the error then follow the next fix.
7. Perform Clean Boot
If none of the methods mentioned above worked for you. It is recommended to perform a clean boot on your PC as it will disable all the third-party startups that might be interfering in the game’s operations and stopping the game from running properly.
To clean boot your PC follow the instructions mentioned below:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Now type msconfig in the box and press OK.
- Then in the System Configuration window that appears, click on the Services tab and checkmark the Hide all Microsoft services box available in the bottom-left.
- Then click on the Disable All option available in the bottom-right.
- Now click on the Startup tab and then click on the Open task manager option.
- In task manager, click on the Startup tab.
- Now click on the unnecessary apps you think are interfering in the game’s operation and click on the disable option.
- Once you are done with disabling all useless apps that can interfere in the game’s operations, press OK.
- Now restart your PC and launch the game.
It is estimated now the Unable to Detect Media Player Error on GTA V is resolved. Hope the fixes given work for you to solve the error and start playing the game on your Windows 10 PC/laptop.