Google Docs offers a dark mode feature that changes the background to a darker color and adjusts the text color to improve visibility and ease eye strain. This feature not only makes the app more comfortable to use, but it also helps conserve battery life on mobile that are using AMOLED/OLED display. If you frequently work at night, enabling dark mode in Google Docs is a smart choice.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of enabling dark mode in Google Docs on both desktop and mobile devices and show you how to customize the feature to suit your needs.
Enable Dark Mode on Mobile (iOS and Android)
To enable dark mode in Google Docs on a mobile device, follow these steps:
- Install and open the Google Docs app on your mobile phone.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines located in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select Settings.
- Under Appearance, you’ll see an option labeled Theme, tap on it.
- Tap on Dark.
The background color of Google Docs will change to black, and the text color will change to white.
Alternatively, if your device has a system-wide dark mode, you can enable it by going to your device settings and turning on the dark mode. This will automatically enable the dark mode for all the apps including Google Docs.
Enable Dark Mode on the Desktop
Google Docs on the desktop does not have a built-in dark mode option. However, users can still enable dark mode on their desktop by using a third-party extension such as Google Docs Dark Mode. This extension can be installed on Chromium based browsers. and allows users to toggle the dark mode on and off with just a single click.
To enable dark mode in Google Docs on a desktop computer, follow these steps:
- Open your web browser and go to the Google Chrome Web Store or Firefox.
- Search for Google Docs Dark Mode or a similar extension.
- Select the extension and click Add to Chrome or Add to Firefox button.
- Once the extension is installed, you will see a new icon on the browser’s extension bar.
- Click on the extension icon, and turn ON the toggle key for dark mode.
The background color of Google Docs will change to black, and the text color will change to white. Once you’ve enabled dark mode, you can adjust the settings to customize the look and feel of the interface to suit your needs.
As you follow the steps given above you will enable dark mode on your mobile phone or desktop and can continue work on a comfortable screen.