Destiny 2 “cat error” mainly occurs due to issues with the game’s installation or as a result of server maintenance by Bungie. The game’s installation issues range from an outdated Destiny 2 installation to a corrupt one.
The cat error occurs when a player launches the Destiny 2 game, but the game fails to launch with the error at hand. This problem is reported on all the game-supported OS/platforms like PCs, consoles (PS5, PS4, Xbox), Steam, Blizzard, etc. The error means that the game requires an update, but either that update is unavailable (due to server maintenance) or the update is stuck in the process.
The following can be the main causes for a cat error on the Destiny 2 game:
- Server Maintenance from Bungie: If the Bungie servers are going through maintenance and are down, then that may show the cat error, especially if an update or hotfix for Destiny 2 is expected at the end of the server maintenance.
- Corrupt Cache or Download Cache of the Device/Platform: This error might occur if the device’s cache (like a PS5) or the download cache of the platform (like Steam) is corrupt and holds the update required by the game. Due to this cache corruption, the servers do not push the update to the client (as the update is already in the cache), whereas the update is stuck in the corrupt cache and does not apply to the game, resulting in the Destiny 2 cat error.
- Corrupt Game Files of Destiny 2: If the essential game files are corrupt, then an update to the game may not be able to install as essential files are missing or not accessible.
- Corrupt Destiny 2 Installation: The cat error on the Destiny 2 game might occur if the game’s installation has gone corrupt due to repeated attempts to install a failed or corrupt update.
1. Perform a Cold Restart of the Devices
A temporary glitch in the device’s OS or game’s modules could result in the Destiny 2 cat error under discussion. Here, performing a cold restart of the devices may clear the Destiny 2 problem. For elucidation, we will discuss the process for a Windows PC. Before proceeding, ensure the Bungie servers are not under maintenance on the Official Twitter handle of the Bungie Help. If so, then you may wait till the maintenance ends. Otherwise, you may follow the methods below to clear the cat error on Destiny 2.
- Firstly, close the Destiny 2 game and its launcher (like the Steam client).
- Now, right-click on Windows and open Task Manager.
- Then right-click on a Steam or game-related process and select End Task.
- Repeat the same to end all the Steam or game-related processes in the Task Manager.
- Then launch the Steam client and open the Destiny 2 game.
- If it asks to, let it update, and then check if the Destiny 2 is working fine.
- If not, power off your system and unplug its power cable from the power source.
- Now power off your networking equipment (like a router) and unplug its power cable from the power source.
- Then wait for a minute and connect the router’s power cable.
- Now power on your router and wait till it is properly powered on.
- Then connect back the PC’s power cable, and afterward, power on your PC.
- Now launch the Steam client and then open the Destiny 2 game (if the game asks to update, make sure to update) to check if it is clear of the cat error.
2. Manually Update the Destiny 2 Game to the Latest Build
If the Destiny 2 game on your device is missing the latest updates, then that could also result in the cat error. Manually updating Destiny 2 to the latest build may resolve the game issue. For a better interpretation, we will discuss the update process of the Destiny 2 game on the Blizzard launcher.
- Launch the Bizzard app and head to its Games tab.
- Now select Destiny 2 and expand its Options.
- Then select Check for Updates. If an update of Destiny 2 is available, download and install the update.
- Once done, perform a cold restart of your devices (as discussed earlier) and again check for a Destiny 2 game update.
- If available, download and install the update again.
- Then restart your device and launch the Destiny 2 game upon restart and check if it is clear of the cat error.
3. Clear The Download Cache of the Device or Platform
Many devices (like a PlayStation) or game platforms (like a Steam client) hold essential game-related data like an update in their cache. If the cache or download cache of the device or platform has become corrupt, then that could result in the Cat error on Destiny 2 as the essential update modules may fail to apply to the installed game.
Also, no Destiny 2 update will be served from the servers to the device or platform as the update (although corrupt) is already present on the device or platform, causing the cat error. In this scenario, clearing the device cache or platform’s download cache may clear the Destiny 2 error at hand. For elucidation, we will go through the process of clearing the download cache of the Steam client.
- Launch the Steam client and head to its Settings.
- Now open Downloads and click on Clear Download Cache.
- Then close the Steam client and perform a cold restart of the devices (discussed earlier).
- Now launch the Steam client and open the Destiny 2 game (if it asks to update, update) to check if its cat error is cleared.
- If not, check if manually updating the Destiny 2 game (discussed earlier) resolves the issue.
4. Verify the Integrity of the Destiny 2 Game Files
If the essential game files of the Destiny 2 game have gone corrupt, then that could result in the cat error under discussion as a downloaded update is failing to apply to a corrupt game installation.
In such a case, verifying the integrity of the Destiny 2 game files may clear the issue under discussion. For illustration, we will discuss the process of verifying the integrity of the Destiny 2 game files on Steam.
- Launch the Steam client and head to its Games Library.
- Now, right-click on the Destiny 2 game and select Properties.
- Then steer to the Local Files tab and click on Verify Integrity of Game Files.
- Now, wait till the process completes but can take some time to complete, depending on the size of the Destiny 2 game.
- Once done, relaunch the Steam client and open the Destiny 2 game.
- If it asks to, let it update, and then check if the cat error on Destiny 2 is cleared.
- If the issue persists, check if again performing a manual update of the Destiny 2 game (discussed above) resolves the issue.
5. Reset or Reinstall the Destiny 2 Game
This issue might also occur if the very installation of the Destiny 2 game is corrupt and due to this corruption, a game update is not able to install on the game. Here, resetting or reinstalling the Destiny 2 game may solve the problem. Make sure to back up the essential game data/info. Also, do note that this might take data (100GB or more) and time (make sure you have fast internet) to complete.
Try at your own risk as there are some reports where a player failed to log back into Destiny 2 after resetting or reinstalling the game when he encountered the Destiny 2 cat error.
Reset the Destiny 2 Game to the Defaults
For illustration, we will discuss the process of resetting Destiny 2 to the defaults on a Windows PC.
- Right-click Windows and open Apps & Features.
- Now locate the Destiny 2 game (you can search for it) and expand its Options.
- Then select Advanced Options and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Now click on Reset and afterward, confirm to Reset the Destiny 2 game.
- Once done, launch the Destiny 2 game and follow the prompts on the screen to configure it as per your requirements.
- If the game asks to update during the process, let it update.
- Once done, restart your system, and upon restart, launch Destiny 2 and check if it is clear of the cat error.
Reinstall the Destiny 2 Game
For better interpretation, we will discuss the process of reinstalling Destiny 2 on the Steam client.
- Launch the Steam client and head to its Library.
- Now, in the games, right-click on Destiny 2 and hoover over Manage.
- Then select Uninstall and afterward, confirm to uninstall the Destiny 2 game.
- Once completed, close the Steam client and restart your system.
- Upon restart, launch the Steam client and install the Destiny 2 game. Keep in mind that it will be a huge download (100 GB or more) and may take time (if your internet is not fast enough). Make sure the system does not go to sleep during the download process, otherwise, it may cause different issues including the cat error.
- Once done, open the Destiny 2 game and hopefully, it will be clear of the cat error.
- If not, check if manually updating the Destiny 2 game solves the problem.
If that did not work, then you may contact Bungie support to resolve the issue.