As the world keeps advancing in high tech innovations, the emergence of smart TVs has taken the world to a whole new level. This outshines the existence of the regular TVs which are being phased out slowly by slowly in this current era. Over the years, there have been several changes in the market regarding the model and series of TVs introduced. This begins from mechanical TV, electronic TV, Color TV, Digital TV to Smart TVs which are now the talk of the universe.
Well, are you in possession of regular TV rather than Smart TV? Do you want to turn the regular TV into a Smart TV? Keep scrolling down the page and you will get the right answers to your questions. The need for turning your regular TV into a smart TV is not just in vain. This is because you will be able to enjoy the functionalities that Smart TV have in store that regular TV does not.
Most noteworthy, the key advantage that Smart TVs have over regular TVs is the ability to access the internet via a wireless network. This will allow you to stream the internet and gain access to streaming media like Netflix and YouTube just to mention a few. Even more, with Smart TV you will be able to run the apps that come built into it. This is not the case for regular TVs. Hence, why don’t you turn your regular TV to a Smart TV?
Therefore, as a user of a regular TV or if you are planning to buy one, worry no more as we are here to provide to you the simplest ways in which you can turn the regular TVs into Smart TVs. This will save you the cost of buying an expensive Smart TV yet you can incur lower costs by converting the existing ones. Are you ready to begin? Well, here we go. The following are the ways to achieve so.
Use of Google Chromecast
Google Chromecast is one of the finest affordable streaming media players that you can use to turn your regular TV into a smart TV. It enables you to access various video content from YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu among other streaming services while using your smartphone or computer as a remote control.
This device is readily available in the market with different designs and prices to choose from. You will not need to dig deeper into your wallet since its budget is within your reach. Once you have purchased it, there are no monthly charges involved, therefore, it won’t be overwhelming.
To use the Google Chromecast device, you will need to download and install Google Home app on your smartphone, tablet or computer. The app will allow you to easily set up and install the Google Chromecast media player. This app is available in the Google Play Store hence you will be required to follow the steps below to install it:
- Go to the Google Play Store on your phone, tablet or computer.
- In the search bar, type Google Home app and hit enter.
- Click on Install and the app will be installed on your device.
To turn your regular TV into a smart TV is easy with the use of this media player. Now, all you need to do is to follow the outlined steps below to accomplish this:
- Look for the HDMI port at the back or side of your TV. This port has a thin, wide shape with a slightly tapered base as shown in the figure below. However, if your TV does not have the HDMI port, do not worry since you still have an option of getting an HDMI-to-RCA This allows you to plug into the red, yellow, and white ports at the back or side of your TV thereby allowing the connection.
2. Insert the Google Chromecast into the HDMI port of your TV.
3. Power the Google Chromecast by connecting it to a power source. This may involve plugging it directly to a power outlet or connecting it using a USB cable into the TV’s USB port if it has one.
4. Next, you can now turn on your TV and change the TV’s input to the HDMI channel.
5. On your phone or computer, launch the Google Home app. This will allow you to set up and configure the Google Chromecast media.
7. On the home page screen, click on the device’s icon at the top right corner of the screen.
8. Confirm that the Chromecast device identified on your phone matches the one displayed on your TV and then click on Set Up.
9. A code will be sent to your phone and you TV, therefore, you will need to confirm that you are setting up the right device. Click on I SEE IT and proceed to the next step.
10. Connect Google Chromecast to a wireless network. Select your Wi-Fi network and enter your password. Ensure that it is on the same network as to which your phone or tablet is connected to.
11. Follow the on-screen instructions to wind up with the setup process.
12. Once the setup process is complete, you can now start using your TV as a smart TV by use of the Goole Chromecast device.
Use of Apple TV
This is also another streaming media player that you can use to turn your regular TV into a smart TV. However, it is quite pricier than the other streaming devices, therefore, you will be required to di a little bit deeper into your wallet. Despite its higher price, it offers very fast and high-quality streaming.
Certainly, when you think of any Apple product, it is likely to hit your mind that they only work on Apple platforms. On the contrary, that is not the case as you can use the Apple TV on your Android device as well. This is therefore available for both iOS and Android devices.
With Apple TV, you can easily access various streaming contents and several apps using your regular TV. These include Netflix, Spotify, Vevo, YouTube among others. To achieve this, be sure to follow the steps below after purchasing the Apple TV. To add on to this, you will need to purchase HDMI cable as well which is not pricy.
- Locate the HDMI port at the back or side of your TV. If there is no such port, you will have to purchase the HDMI-to-RCA adapter. This will allow the connection into the red, white, and yellows ports on your TV.
- Using the HDMI cable, connect both ends to the Apple TV and your TV. Depending on the length of the HDMI cable, the devices should be closer together.
- Connect the Apple TV to the power source using the power cable provided.
- Turn on your TV and select the HDMI input channel.
- Next, you will have to follow the onscreen instructions provided to set the device up. This will include selecting a language, connecting to your Wi-Fi network as well as signing into accounts among others.
- After you are done with the setup process, you can proceed to use your regular TV as a smart TV, thanks to the Apple TV streaming media. You can now enjoy streaming the video contents in your TV with ease.
Use of Amazon Fire TV Stick
This is an Amazon product that allows you stream video contents over the internet. Its price is friendly therefore you might consider using it to turn your regular TV into a smart TV. The Amazon Fire TV Stick perform the same functions as Apple TV but the difference comes in design and price as well as other features.
This device is plugged into your TV using the HDMI port. Once it is inserted, you can proceed to follow the steps as provided above for Apple TV. The procedure is the same therefore you will have to follow it carefully to set it up. In the end, you will easily manage to use your regular TV as a smart TV.
While connected to your wireless network, you simply stream on apps including Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Vevo, Spotify and Catch-up TV apps among other streaming services available.
Use of Roku TV Streaming Stick
The last on our list is the ability to use Roku to make your regular TV a Smart TV. With its relatively low price, you easily purchase it and enjoy the astonishing functionalities that come with it. It is a user-friendly device that allows you to easily stream video contents.
The Roku Streaming Stick supports various contents including Netflix, Google Play, Hulu, HBO NOW, Cinema Now, Amazon Prime and many more. This allows you to bring the internet content to the traditional TV viewing experience.
Moreover, to set is up is also simple as you will require to plug it into your TV’s HDMI port. You can then proceed to set it up by following the on-screen instructions provided. Once that is done, you will be in a great position to use your regular TV as a Smart TV.
Therefore, you will not have to get rid of your regular TV to purchase a new Smart TV to enjoy Smart TV’s experience. With the availability of any of the streaming devices mentioned above, you can now easily turn your regular TV into a Smart TV and enjoy the top-notch experience available.