ShadowPlay is part of GeForce Experience 3.0, which enables you to instantly record gameplay at 60FPS for the the last 20 minutes. You can also broadcast a livestream Twitch or YouTube at varying resolutions. There have been cases where users have been unable to record any games using ShadowPlay, even when in fullscreen mode. For some users, the game doesn’t record when the hotkeys are activated.
This issue comes as a result of the Streamer Service not running properly, ShadowPlay’s inability to detect some games in fullscreen mode, and interference from some applications. In this article, we’ll see how best we can get all ShadowPlay to record any game flawlessly.
Method 1: Restarting the NVIDIA Streamer Service
As said earlier, if the ShadowPlay fails to record, you should check this service and make sure it’s running, or you can just restart it.
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the run prompt. Type services.msc and hit Enter to open the Services console.
- In the Services window, search for Nvida Streaming Service and double-click it. Set the Startup type to Automatic and then start the service if it’s been stopped. You can also right-click and select Restart to be extra sure the service runs properly.
- Try opening recording with ShadowPlay using the hotkeys to confirm if it works.
Method 2: Allow Desktop Capture
Often, GeForce cannot properly detect if a game is in fullscreen mode, and hence won’t record. Try allowing desktop capture so the screen get recorded regardless of the mode.
- Open ShadowPlay and click the Preferences
- Under the Overlay section, check the Allow Desktop Capture under the Desktop image.
- Open a game and activate the assigned hotkeys to start recording the desktop.
Method 3: Turn off Twitch
Twitch is a streaming service which allows GeForce users to stream to their friends and family. Try disabling Twitch, which can most likely interfere with ShadowPlay’s recording feature. You can try turning Twitch off temporarily to see if you can record.
- Open ShadowPlay and click the My Rig tab and then select ShadowPlay. This will bring up the settings.
- Make sure ShadowPlay is activated and then set the mode to Manual.
- Head over to the Account section (Log In) and then logout from Twitch.
- Open a game and try opening recording with ShadowPlay using the hotkeys to confirm if it works.
Method 4: Switch to Fullscreen Mode
Most games offer you the options to play in borderless mode or fullscreen mode. By default, games are recorded in fullscreen mode, so try switching to fullscreen mode from the game settings or pressing F11 for other applications like Chrome, VLC,etc.
You can also launch the game from the GeForce Experience application itself, which launches games in actual fullscreen.
Method 5: Update GeForce Experience
If you’re on the Beta version of GeForce Experience or an old version, you should update it using the following steps:
- Press Windows + R to open the command prompt, type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- In the programs window, look for Nvidia GeForce Experience from the list of installed applications and double-click on it and then follow the uninstallation instructions. You can also choose to remove additional NVIDIA applications but remember to reinstall them from the website.
- Visit this website and download GeForce Experience from there.
- Open a game and try opening recording with ShadowPlay using the hotkeys to confirm if it records.
Method 6: Enable Privacy Control
Some users noticed the privacy setting for sharing the desktop was toggled off after an update. This disable the hotkeys and in turn the recording. You need to toggle Privacy Control back on to allow desktop capture.
- Open ShadowPlay and click the Settings tab and then click General in the upper-right corner. This will bring up the settings.
- In the General section you’ll find the Share option which you should turn ON.
- After doing this, you should be able to record games using the hotkeys.
PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using the Reimage Plus Software which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. You can download Reimage Plus by Clicking Here