The 0x800b0003 error often occurs when you are trying to update Windows. It reads, “There were problems downloading some updates, but we’ll try again later” or “Windows Update encountered an unknown error.” So this error won’t let you upgrade your Windows version, and you’ll be stuck with an older variant.
Mainly, the problem is that your system drivers are outdated. Apart from being unable to update Windows, you will also face issues like your computer freezing, the blue screen of death showing up, or the system crashing due to this error.
You can update your drivers from the Device Manager section in Windows. Just make sure you have a good internet connection to carry out the process smoothly.
Along with updating the drivers, we’ll be looking at 7 solutions to counter the 0x800b0003 error on Windows. You can go through these methods sequentially and see which one works best for you.
1. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Straight off the bat, try and run the Windows Update troubleshooter. Its purpose is to identify and fix update issues and will likely resolve the 0x800b0003 error as well.
Simply follow the steps below to run the troubleshooter.
- Press the Windows Key and type Troubleshoot Settings.
- Open the Troubleshoot window and click on Additional troubleshooters.
- Click Run the Troubleshooter after clicking on Windows Update under the Get up and running section.
- Let the troubleshooter look for the error and then go on with the on-screen instructions to rectify it.
2. Run SFC Scan and Restart
The SFC scan locates corrupted system files and repairs them. The reason you are getting the update error can be because of this malfunctioning data. Therefore, running the SFC scan will help in the process of fixing the issue.
Here’s how to execute the SFC command:
- Press the Windows key and type CMD.
- Run the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Now paste the following command:
- Once the scan completes, restart your PC and see if the error is still showing up or not.
3. Update Device Drivers
Incompatible or outdated drivers are a common reason why these errors take place. It is necessary to keep your drivers up-to-date for your system to run efficiently.
Now follow the steps below to update your system drivers.
- Open the Run dialog box with the Win + R keys.
- Paste the following in the Open bar and click OK: devmgmt.msc
- Expand the Display Adapters section and right-click on the device drivers.
- Now click on Update Drivers.
- Select Search automatically for drivers.
- Follow the on-screen instructions next to update your drivers.
4. Manually Reset Windows Update Service
Another way to deal with the 0x800b0003 error is by manually resetting the Windows Update Service. After it resets, you can try and update Windows again to see if it works now.
Here’s how to do it:
- Type CMD on the Windows search bar.
- Run the command prompt as administrator.
- Now execute the following commands in sequence:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Afterward, exit the command prompt and try to update Windows again.
5. Manually Update Windows
Another method is to install the updates manually. If your system is failing to update Windows automatically, then this is the process you should go for.
- Open Settings by pressing Win + I.
- Now go to Windows Update under Update & Security.
- Click on View update history and look at the updates you had on your Windows.
- Next, go through Microsoft’s update catalog to download and install the latest update.
You would be required to turn off your automatic update option for the time being. Follow our guide here for doing so.
6. Restore the PC to a Previous Point
Sometimes there can be software or a file that gets installed and becomes the reason for the update error due to malware or virus. So, if you have a restore point on your PC, go back to it and try to install the Windows update again.
Here’s how to restore the system:
- Press the Winkey and type System Restore.
- You’ll be at the System Properties screen now.
- Navigate to System Protection > System Restore.
- Click Next on the System Restore wizard.
- Now you will see the restore points on your PC. Select the point you want to go back to.
- After you click Next, the resulting window will show the apps & updates that will be removed due to the restore.
- Click Next again and then finally click on Finish to complete the restoration.
7. Manually Upgrade Windows with Media Creation Tool
Upgrading Windows with the Media Creation Tool will not only keep your data saved but will also repair corrupt system files. Once the Windows update takes place, the 0x800b0003 error will be automatically corrected.
- Open Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool page and click on Download Now.
- Click on Run and start the setup.
- Accept the License terms.
- Now select Upgrade this PC now.
- Click Install on the next window.
- Your system will restart multiple times while the installation takes place.
- After it completes, sign in with your account and the error will disappear.