Sonos One is one of the finest smart speakers available in the market today. These voice-controlled smart speakers by Sonos brand are designed with amazing features that are taking the world by storm. One of them is the ability to offer the best multi-room audio system in your home. Even more, having the Sonos smart speakers to work with Alexa adds more sweetness to the soup.
Now, how do you get the Sonos One speakers to work with Alexa? This is very simple and straightforward. Keep taking the tour on this page and get to know how to achieve this with ease. Alexa will allow you to perform a variety of tasks just by a voice command, therefore, adding a whole new level of functionality to your Sonos speaker. Do you want to enjoy this top-notch experience? Well, keep scrolling down and find out how to attain this.
To begin with, you will need to download and install the Sonos app and Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone. These apps are a necessity as they will help you in setting up the speaker with Alexa. They are both available in the Google Play Store or App Store, therefore, all you need to do is to follow the steps given below:
For Android Users:
- On your mobile phone, go to the Google Play Store.
- In the search bar, type Sonos Controller for Android and hit enter.
- Click on Install to get the Sonos app on your smartphone.
For iOS Users:
- On your mobile phone, go to the App Store.
- In the search bar, type Sonos Controller and hit enter.
- Click on Get to install the Sonos app on your smartphone.
To install the Amazon Alexa app, be sure to follow the steps above and input Amazon Alexa in place of Sonos app and you will have the app in your smartphone as well.
Connecting Sonos one to Alexa
Once you have the apps installed, you can now proceed to set up the speaker with Alexa. Moreover, you must ensure that you have a stable internet connection since these components will not work without internet connectivity. Be sure to follow the step by step guide given below in order to achieve this connection.
Step 1: Connect the Speaker to a Power Source
First of all, you must ensure that your speaker is powered up by connecting it to a power source. Place the speaker in the desired location next to a power source and attach the power cord to the power outlet. The speaker will boot up after a minute or so and you will see a green flashing light confirming to you that it is ready to be added.
Step 2: Set Up Your Sonos Speaker
Next, you will need to set up the speaker using the downloaded Sonos app. If it is your first time to set up a new Sonos system, be sure to launch the Sonos app, select Setup New System and follow the additional steps to set up your speaker. This will involve selecting the type of Sonos player to set up among others.
However, if you have an existing Sonos system, you can add this speaker to it by following the steps below:
- Open the Sonos app on your smartphone.
- Navigate on More and click on Settings.
- Click on Add a Player or SUB.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your speaker to Sonos. Once the setup is done, you can now proceed to the next step.
Step 3: Connect to Amazon Account
Now, you will need to connect your speaker to your Amazon account. This is achieved by following the steps as given below:
- In the Sonos app, select Add Amazon Alexa under the browse tab or you can tap on More tab and click on Voice Services and then select Amazon Alexa.
- Click on Connect your Amazon Account and log in to your Amazon account using the right credentials.
- Once logged in you can test Alexa to see whether it is working well using basic commands like Alexa play music.
Step 4: Enable the Sonos Skill
You will now have to search for Sonos skill using the Amazon Alexa app and then authenticate both your Amazon and Sonos accounts. To do this, follow the steps outlined below:
- Launch the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Select the menu option at the top left corner of the screen and tap on Skills.
- In the search bar, type Sonos and click on the Sonos Skill.
- Click on Enable and sign in to your Sonos account.
- You will then have to discover devices on the Alexa app in order to have Alexa find your Sonos speakers. To achieve this you can simply say, “Alexa, discover devices” or open the Alexa app select Smart Home option from the menu and click on Devices and Discover.
Step 5: Add Music Services to Sonos and Alexa
This will allow you to begin listening to music without encountering problems while doing so. Therefore, in order to use Sonos to access streaming music services that Alexa can control, you will need to add the services to both the Sonos and the Alexa app. There are a number of music services supported include:
- Amazon Music
- TuneIn Radio.
- Pandora (Not available in UK, Canada, or Australia)
- iHeartRadio (Not available in the UK or Canada)
- SiriusXM (Not available in the UK or Australia)
- Apple Music (Not available in Canada)
Step 6: Use Alexa Commands with your Sonos one speaker
After you have completed the steps given above, you can now proceed to control your speaker using Alexa commands. This will allow you to enjoy the experience provided by the added Alexa voice-controlled feature. This will include playing music from any supported music service, ask for weather and traffic reports among others.
You must ensure that you precede each command using the wake word “Alexa.” Some examples of the Alexa commands used include the following;
- Play my playlist in the living room.
- Play my lullabies playlist in the baby’s room.
- Pause/stop/resume music in the (room name).
- What is playing in (room name)?
- Turn the volume up/down or quieter/louder in the (room name).
- Set the volume to 1-10.
- What is the weather today?
There are several other Alexa commands that you can use to control Sonos one speaker but the above are the basic commands to get started with. You will get to know more of the commands as you continue using them.