jump to best solution →
This error mainly occurs when you previously had Discord installed on your Windows system, but you uninstalled it incorrectly. Uninstalling Discord incorrectly leaves residual configuration and registry files in your Windows which can cause new Discord installation failure. The error message ‘Installation has failed’ is displayed along with a setup log file which you can view by pressing ‘Open setup log’ button.
Analyzing these setup logs, we noticed that this issue can also occur if Discord doesn’t have permissions to access and write to the deployment location.
|Incorrect Uninstallation||Uninstalling Discord incorrectly leaves residual configuration and registry files in your Windows which can cause new Discord installation to fail|
|Lack of Permission||Discord doesn't have sufficient permission to access and write to the deployment location|
|Windows system issues||System issues like outdated drivers or conflicting software can cause Discord installation to fail|
|Firewall or Antivirus software interference||Firewall or Antivirus software blocking Discord's installation process|
|Insufficient Disk Space||Not having enough disk space to install Discord can also cause the installation to fail|
We will provide troubleshooting methods to help you successfully reinstall Discord on your computer.
Solution 1. Install Discord PTB
Discord PTB (Public Test Build) is a separate version of the Discord client that runs independently. Discord PTB has its own data files and does not detect existing Discord files. So, If you are facing issues installing the normal Discord client, you can install the PTB version instead. Here are the steps to do it:
- Download the Discord PTB setup file, Go to Discord’s Download Page
- Scroll down till you see the ‘Feeling experimental?’ button.
- Click on that button and Select Windows. This should start downloading the Discord PTB client.
- Once the file is downloaded, simply run it, and it should install the PTB version of Discord on your computer.
- Now simply open the Discord PTB application from the Desktop.
If you don’t want to install Discord PTB, you can proceed with the troubleshooting below.
Solution 2. Use the Discord Clean-Up Tool
If Discord is uninstalled from your computer, it’s possible that there are still some remaining files in your Registry/Windows. Using the Cleanup tool will delete all the residue files automatically so you don’t have to face any hassle. Follow these steps:
- Download the Discord Cleanup Tool (Google Drive Link)
- Once it’s downloaded, run the tool as an administrator.
- Now, if it says “Discord Installs Detected,” simply press the dedicated number to uninstall the Discord client. In my case, I will press ‘1’ to uninstall Discord.
- Try reinstalling Discord again.
Solution 3. Grant Discord permissions
If the problem persists, make sure that Discord has the necessary permissions to access and write to the deployment location. Here are the steps to grant Discord permissions:
- Go to the installation location of Discord, typically “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Discord“
- Right-click on the Discord folder and select “Properties”
- In the Properties window, go to the “Security” tab.
- Click on the “Edit” button and then the “Add” button.
- Type in “Everyone” and click on the “Check Names” button.
- Then, click OK
- Make sure to check all the boxes under Allow to give the folder control of the folder.
- Click on the “Apply” and “OK” button to save the changes.
Solution 4. Install Microsoft .NET Framework
Discord requires Microsoft .NET Framework to be installed on your computer in order to run properly. If it is not installed, it can cause the “Installation has failed” error.
You can simply follow the steps mentioned below to install Microsoft.NET Framework.
- Click this link to download the official .NET framework setup file (here).
- Once the file is downloaded. Open it and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.Note: If it says ‘Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system.’ You can simply ignore this method and move to the next one.
- After installation Restart your computer.
Solution 5. Disable Antivirus Software Temporarily
Your antivirus software can interfere with the installation process and cause the “Installation has failed” error. To resolve this, you can try disabling your antivirus software temporarily while installing Discord. Make sure to re-enable it once the installation is complete. To disable antivirus follow the steps mentioned here.
Solution 6. Install in Safe Mode with Networking
Certain programs or services running on your computer can interfere with the installation process. To resolve this, you can try installing Discord in Safe Mode with Networking. This will start your computer with a minimal set of drivers and services, and can help identify and troubleshoot any potential conflicts that may be causing the error.
- Click on the Start Menu icon and hold the right shift button on your Keyboard, then click the “Restart” button.
- Now, wait for the Windows recovery window to show up. Once it shows up press “Troubleshoot”.
- Now click “Advanced Options”.
- Click on “Startup Settings”.
- Now Once you are in Startup Settings click “Restart”.
- Now once your Computer restarts you should see a blue screen with multiple options.
- Select “Safe mode with networking” by using the “F5” key.
- Once you are in the safe mode, press and hold the Windows key, then press the “R” key to open Run.
- Type “appwiz.cpl” and press enter. Now find and uninstall Discord from the List.
- Now download the fresh Installer of Discord from this link (here).
- Install the Discord Client and check to see if the issue persists.
- Once the Discord Client is Installed, you can restart your computer to normal mode.
By following these solutions, you should be able to resolve the “Installation has failed” error and successfully reinstall Discord on your computer. If the problem persists, you should try contact Discord by creating a ticket on their support page.
Discord Installation Failure - FAQs
The error occurs when Discord is uninstalled incorrectly from a Windows system, leaving residual configuration and registry files, or if Discord does not have the necessary permissions to access and write to the deployment location.
Discord installation failure issue can be resolved by properly uninstalling Discord and ensuring that it has the necessary permissions to access and write to the deployment location before installing it.