The error message “The lobby server connection has encountered an error” often surfaces when your connection fails to reach the servers. This can be triggered by events such as a Final Fantasy server outage, third-party software blocking your network connection, improper DNS configurations, among other causes.
Occasionally, the issue may be limited to a specific region stemming from complications at a data center. This guide aims to provide various methods that you can employ to resolve the 2002 error code in FFXIV.
1. Check Final Fantasy XIV Server Status
As a preliminary step when addressing the 2002 error code, check the server status of Final Fantasy XIV. If the game servers are experiencing an outage or maintenance, connections to the game will fail.
In such cases, your best course of action is to await a resolution from the developer team. To keep informed about server statuses, visit the official World Status website maintained by the game’s developers. Look for the icons alongside each server’s name to determine if they are operational.
2. Disable Third-Party Antivirus
Third-party antivirus software could also prompt the 2002 connectivity error in Final Fantasy XIV. Such programs can interfere with your system’s processes, including the network activities necessary for the game.
To fix this, disable your antivirus software temporarily and relaunch the game to test for continued issues. Should the problem disappear, add Final Fantasy XIV to the antivirus whitelist, which will allow game connection without subsequent interference. Afterward, the security software can be reactivated without further disturbance to the game.
3. Flush DNS Cache
A corrupted DNS cache on your computer might also be responsible for the error message. The DNS cache expedites the resolution process for sites you’ve previously visited.
If corrupted, it could prevent connections from completing accurately. Flushing your system’s DNS cache can address this problem.
- Open the Start Menu and search for Command Prompt.
- Choose the Run as administrator option on the right.
- In the elevated Command Prompt, enter ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.
- This action clears the DNS cache on your computer.
- Restart the Steam client and then launch Final Fantasy XIV.
- Check if the error persists.
4. Forward Final Fantasy XIV Ports
Blocked ports can also result in error code 2002 as they prevent the game from connecting to its servers. You’ll need to implement port forwarding for FFXIV ports to correct this.
A static IP address on your system ensures that incoming data from FFXIV servers is properly directed.
- Access the Command Prompt by searching for it in the Start Menu.
- Type ipconfig /all in the command prompt and press Enter.
- Note down your current IPv4 address, Default Gateway, and Subnet Mask from the provided details depending on whether you are on an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection.
- Launch the Settings app by pressing Win key + I.
- Navigate to Network and Internet > Advanced Network Settings.
- Expand your network adapter settings by clicking the down arrow and select the Edit option for More adapter options.
- Double-click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) feature.
- Check the Use the following IP address box.
- Fill in the copied IP details in their respective fields, considering slightly adjusting the final digits of the IP address for uniqueness (e.g., adding 10 or 20 to the last digit).
- Click OK to confirm the changes.
After assigning a static IP address, proceed to port forwarding with these steps:
- Log in to your router’s admin panel.
- Navigate to the Port Forwarding section of the panel.
- Create entries for your static IP address, entering the following port ranges:
54992-54994, 55006-55007, 55021-55040
- Ensure these are set as TCP ports.
- Restart your computer and verify the connectivity issue.
5. Use a VPN Connection
Networking issues can also result from the route your packets take to reach the server, sometimes resulting in dropped connections.
In such cases, employing a VPN service can offer an alternative path, often circumventing the connection problem. Choose a VPN service that is suited for gaming; our compilation of the best VPNs for gaming might help.
6. Change DNS Server
A problem in your DNS server could be preventing connection establishment as well. A simple fix is to switch to a more reliable DNS server.
- Open the Settings app with Win key + I.
- Proceed to Network and Internet > Advanced Network Settings.
- Click the down arrow next to your network adapter name.
- Select the Edit command for more adapter options.
- In the property window, open the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) properties.
- Opt for the Use the following DNS server addresses setting.
- Enter the public DNS servers from either Google or Cloudflare:
Google: 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 Cloudflare: 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
- Implement the changes, restart the Steam client, and assess if the issue resolves.
7. Perform a Clean Boot
If the malfunction persists after trying previous steps, interference from a third-party application could be at play. A clean boot, which starts Windows with only essential services, can help identify the culprit.
- Press the Win key + R, type msconfig into the Run dialog, and press Enter.
- Switch to the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft services box.
- Disable all third-party services with Disable all.
- Apply the changes and navigate to the Startup tab, then click the Open Task Manager link.
- Within Task Manager, disable each startup application individually.
- Restart your computer to complete the clean boot process.
Should the error code 2002 in Final Fantasy XIV be resolved following a clean boot, you may then narrow down the responsible application by re-enabling services and applications one at a time and testing the game after each.
If after following these solutions the error code still persists, consider reaching out to the support team for Final Fantasy XIV for further assistance.