Reddit is one of those platforms that many of us visit to look for more honest answers from the community as users are free to express themselves openly, without any fear of censorship. However, there may be times where you find the content on the platform to be too personal or sensitive, and you may not want others to have access to your activity.
In such cases, you may find it best to clear your search history. This article will go over the steps to clear your search history on Reddit and why it may be a good idea to do so on a regular basis.
Table of Contents:
Why Clear Reddit History?
Since Reddit is home to a lot of controversial and sensitive topics, anyone with access to your search history can probably learn a lot about you; and that’s not always good.
Here are some reasons why it may be wise to clear your search history every once in a while.
- To maintain privacy. Clearing up your history will erase your search activity on your device. You never know when someone’ going to innocently borrow your device, only for you to find out later that he’s stumbled upon your personal searches.
- It may be a good idea to clean up your digital space every now and then. Clearing up your search history can make it less likely for you to stumble upon posts that are irrelevant or no longer match your interest.
- To keep yourself safe. Anyone with access to your device whom you don’t trust can potentially use your search history to learn about your interests and opinions on certain topics. While it may not seem like much, in certain environments, this information can be used against you, especially if these were not topics you intended to publicly discuss.
Can You Clear Reddit History?
If you need to clear the Reddit history of an account, you’ll need to first off, obviously access that account itself. Also, the procedure for clearing your search history can be performed on either your mobile phone in the app or on the PC via a browser.
Reddit provides the option to delete search results individually or all at once with a single click, so the choice is yours based on what you find more convenient. We’ll be providing methods for both down below. Keep in mind that you’ll have to separately delete your search history on each of your devices.
Clearing Reddit Search History on PC
On the Reddit website, clearing individual searches is a relatively straightforward process. To do it, follow the steps down below:
- Open the Reddit website.
- Click on the search bar at the top. Here you’ll see a list of your searches.
- To delete each search individually, click on the X (Remove) button that corresponds to the respective search.
This method works on both Windows and Mac.
Since Reddit doesn’t keep your search history on its servers, it’s stored in your browser’s cache. To batch delete all of your search history, you’ll need to clear your browser’s cache. To do that, check out our comprehensive guide on clearing cache on any browser.
Clearing Reddit Search History on Mobile
The steps to clear your search history on the app is more or less the same as the website. To delete your search activity via the mobile app, follow the steps down below:
- Open the Reddit app.
- Tap on the Search (magnifying glass) icon on the top right hand side of the screen.
- You’ll see a list of your searches, tap on the X (Remove) button that corresponds to the respective search.
This method works for both Android and iOS. Keep in mind again — your search history on each of your devices will be different. If you have two phones, you’ll need to separately delete the search history on both of them.
What To Do if Search History Isn’t Clearing?
There are instances where you might think you’ve cleared your history, only to discover that the search results are still there the next time. This issue could potentially be linked to a network problem. However, more often than not, this method is straightforward and hard to not replicate.
- If, after multiple tries, your Reddit search history isn’t going away, try clearing app cache, or you could simply reinstall the app.
It’s important to note that Reddit’s functionality in terms of search history is somewhat unconventional. Unlike some other platforms, your searches on Reddit are not tied to the app itself. This means:
- You won’t be able to see what searches have been made on another device where your account is logged in.
- Clearing search history may not affect the search history logged on a different device you do not have access to.
Deleting Posts & Comments
If you want to go a step further in that you want to get rid all of your past activity on Reddit, be it your posts, comments and interactions, Redact can do it for it. It is essentially a third-party tool that gets rid of all your Reddit activity in a single click.
↪ Why Delete Your Old Posts and Comments?
Well, there may be at time where you want a new perspective into your digital life, and head in a new direction. You may not want others to look at your past history and derive inferences based on that. It is also possible that you intend to leave Reddit completely. All of these factors can weigh in when considering deleting every past evidence of your Reddit account.
How to Delete Reddit Activity?
To delete your account activity, follow the steps down below.
- Go to Redact’s website and install the app.
- Open Redact.
- Click on the Services tab on the left hand side of the screen. Now, select Reddit from the list.
- Log in to your Reddit account.
- Now, you can choose to delete your activity within a specific date range. Choose “All time” if you want to remove everything.
- Scroll down and choose Posts or Comments, whatever you want to get rid of.
- Select Delete items under “Action to take.”
- If you choose Edit items, your posts or comments will be replace by the text “Removed with Redact.”
- Scroll to the end and select “Start Previewing” — take a look at all of your posts/comments here.
- Now, select “Deletion Mode,” and click on “Start Deleting” to delete your activity.
After you’ve cleared your Reddit search history, know that you haven’t completely disappeared from Reddit’s radar. To do that, it may be best to use Reddit anonymously or look for third-party apps like Redact that essentially remove everything for you.
Search History Management FAQs
No, it won’t. You will have to clear searches individually on each of your devices.
Natively there is no way to do that at the moment. Reddit previously had a separate option to do this within its mobile app, but it has removed that option.
Well, you should try clearing your browser’s cache if you are on PC. On mobile, try clearing the Reddit app cache.