For watching anime, most people will choose to use the Crunchyroll streaming service. Crunchyroll has a user base of over 45 million and is one to the top-visited sites in the entertainment category. Users love to watch the anime on Crunchyroll but the bombardments of ads make this experience quite annoying. And there is no option provided by Crunchyroll to skip these ads.
To overcome this annoyance, many users opt to use adblockers. But on the other hand, Crunchyroll applies techniques to overcome these adblockers. And they are quite successful in applying these techniques, which urges the users to find ways to stop ads from loading and that is why you are here. The following are the ways to watch Crunchyroll without ads.
Keep in mind that crunchyroll.com is a cross-platform application. It has a web version along with Android and iOS applications. Blocking ads inside mobile apps is a different story.
Update Your AdBlock Extension and Filter Lists to the Latest Version
Crunchyroll.com keeps on applying different techniques to circumvent and bypass adblockers. An outdated AdBlock extension or outdated filter lists will not be able to keep up with the newly applied methods and techniques. In that case, updating your AdBlock extension and filter lists to the latest version may solve the problem. For illustration purposes, we will use Chrome with the AdBlock extension installed. You may follow the instructions as per your browser and adblocking extension.
- Launch Chrome and click on the Action Menu (3 dots near the top right corner) and then click on More Tools.
- Then in the sub-menu, click on Extensions.
- Near the top right corner, enable the Developer mode.
- Now click on Update to update all the extensions.
- After completion of the updating process, relaunch Chrome and then open Crunchyroll to check if ads are blocked. If not, then you can try to update filter lists.
- Although filter lists are updated automatically, users can also update them manually, follow the instructions on the official page of AdBlock. These instructions are for filter lists for AdBlock and you may follow instructions as per your adblocking extension.
- After updating filter lists, check if the problem is solved.
Change Hosts File to Bypass In-Stream Ads
When Crunchyroll plays ads in a stream, it uses static.vrv.co to play ads. We can change the hosts file to play a trick which will stop ads from loading.
- Close your web browser.
- Press Windows key and type Notepad. Then in the resulting list, right-click on Notepad and then click on Run as Administrator.
- Now in Notepad, click on File and then click on Open.
- Now in the Open dialogue box, change from Text Documents to All Files.
- Then Navigate to your “hosts files” directory. Usually, it is located at
- In the files shown, select the “Hosts” file.
- Now in the host files at end of #, add a new line
In fact, by making this change we are telling your browser search to search your system for the ads, which are certainly not there, and thus ads will fail to load and hence, ads will be skipped.
- Then save and close the file.
- Now open your browser and check if Crunchyroll is showing ads.
Try in Another Browser with Another Adblocking Extension
Maybe it is your Adblocking extension/browser which has been compromised or your adblocking extension is not able to cope up with the ever-changing Crunchyroll. In that case, changing your Adblocking extension may solve the problem. In that case, trying another browser with another extension may do the trick. If you are using Chrome, then trying Firefox and Edge or any other browser with another browser extension may solve the problem and vice versa.
Following extensions are known to work for Adblocking on Crunchyroll
- StopAll Ads
- Ublock Origin
- Adblock Plus
Use Opera’s with Its Built-in Adblocker
Opera’s built-in adblocker outperforms many famous adblocking extensions. We found positive feedback from users who reported that they didn’t come across any ads when surfing using Opera. Do note that there will be sync issues between Chrome and Opera if you decide to migrate your details if you switch browsers.
- Download and install the Opera browser.
- Now launch Opera and open its settings. (Alt+P is shortcut key).
- At top of settings, enable the AdBlock feature.
- Now open Crunchyroll to check if ads are shown.
Use Nano Defender
Crunchyroll uses anti-AdBlock detection to serve the ads. There is some browser extension that can bypass anti-AdBlock detection. Nano defender is one of such extensions. But it only works with the Nano Adblocker or you can make it work with Ublock Origin.
- Download Nano Defender.
- Nano Defender can be used with Nano Adblocker.
- Nano Defender can also Make to work with Ublock Origin.
- Then launch your web browser and check if ads in Crunchyroll are shown.
Use Developer Tools
If your adblocker extension could not block ads on Crunchyroll, then we can use developer tools of Chrome to stop ads from loading by blocking the URL/domain that is used to serve the ads.
- Launch Chrome and open Crunchyroll.
- Now right-click on the page and select “Inspect”.
- Now press Control+Shift+P to open the Command Drawer.
- Now type “Show Request Blocking” and press Enter.
- In the new panel, check the option of “Enable Request Blocking”.
- Now click the plus button and type “vrv.co” and click Add.
- Keep the dev console open and check if the problem is solved.
- Keep in mind that you should keep dev console to keep it working and seeing Crunchyroll without ads.
If you are still having issues or the URL for serving ads by Crunchyroll is changed, then follow the instructions below:
- On the Crunchyroll website, right-click on the page and then click ‘Inspect‘.
- Now in dev console, click on the ‘Network‘ tab.
- Now click on ‘media‘, which will show all the video ads that are currently running on the page.
- Now play a video on Crunchyroll and the requests will be shown in the panel. These requests will be from some other website that is used to serve the ads.
- In the panel, right-click on an ad and click the ‘Block request domain’. And thus, that ad-serving website will be added to your block list. Now check if ads are shown on Crunchyroll.
- Remember, do not block anything from Crunchyroll, otherwise, your video might not play. You may have to repeat this process once or twice to block all the ad-serving Keep in mind, you just need the domain, not all the complete URL i.e. just static.vrv.co.
Uninstall/Reinstall Your Adblocking Extension
If nothing has worked for you so far, then uninstalling your extension and then reinstalling it may solve the problem. For illustration purposes, we will uninstall and reinstall AdBlock from Chrome. You may follow instructions as per your browser and adblocking extension.
- Launch Chrome and click on Action menu (3 dots near top right corner). Then click on More Tools.
- Now in the sub-menu, click on Extensions.
- Then navigate to your adblocking extension (here AdBlock) and click on Remove.
- Now again install and enable your browser’s extension and check if the problem is solved.
Use a Guest Pass to Open Crunchyroll Without Ads
A user can use Guest passes to enjoy Crunchyroll without any ads and charges. Once in a month, premium users receive a passcode, a type of invitation ticket that can be used by a newcomer to experience a glimpse of all features of prime membership for 48 hours. But there are some restrictions, as a free account can use 10 passcodes every six months. But the main issue is how to get the guest pass?
A guest pass can be acquired through the following steps:
- A friend with a Crunchyroll Premium subscription.
- Official Crunchyroll Guest Pass Thread.
- Reddit Weekly Guest Thread.
- Social Media like Facebook pages
Use Crunchyroll Premium Membership
If nothing has worked for you and you can afford to pay for premium membership starting at $7.99/month + taxes, then availing the subscription option to get rid of ads is a good idea.
VRV in the USA
Users in the USA can also opt for VRV.CO which supports Crunchyroll and adblockers still working on it.