QR Codes, with their increasing adoption, provide a practical method to quickly access websites, apps, and more. These codes function as digital shortcuts that your device may use to access hidden messages. Their black squares contain information that a specialized software is able to extract data from.
Scanning QR codes with an iPhone is a seamless process, consistent across most versions of iOS. To streamline this process, here is a thorough guide on how to scan QR codes with iPhone.
Table of Contents:
- Before You Scan QR Codes with an iPhone:
- How to Scan QR Code With iPhone
- Final Thoughts
Before You Scan QR Codes with an iPhone:
All iPhones running iOS 11 and above possess a built-in QR scanner. But before you scan a QR code with your iPhone, you need to enable this feature from the settings. To do so, launch iPhone Settings and go to Camera. Here, toggle the Scan QR Codes switch on:
How to Scan QR Code With iPhone
Here is a brief breakdown of the methods you may use to scan QR codes with your iPhone:
1. Scanning QR Code With iPhone’s Camera
Once you’ve enabled scanning QR codes with iPhone’s camera, all you need to do is:
- Unlock your iPhone and launch the Camera app.
- Hold your iPhone firmly and make sure the QR code is in the viewfinder of the camera.
- The QR code will be instantly recognized by the Camera app, which will then show a notification banner at the top.
- To access the linked page or other information, tap the banner.
2. Scanning QR Code with Control Centre
The Control Center on your iPhone makes it easy and handy to scan QR codes. Here’s a step-by-step guide to doing it:
- Launch iPhone Settings and go to Control Centre.
- Tap the ‘+’ next to Code Scanner under the More Controls tab.
- To scan a QR code, tap the Code Scanner icon in the Control Centre.
- Once you tap, the scanner will activate. It will automatically detect the QR code.
- If you’re in a dimly lit place, you can scan the code by turning on the flashlight.
3. Scanning QR Code with the Wallet App
You can scan QR codes using the Wallet app on your iPhone to add cards, tickets, passes, and more. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Wallet app on your iPhone and tap the “+” button in the top-right corner.
- Tap Scan Code to detect the QR code using your iPhone’s camera.
- The Wallet app will recognize the QR code and walk you through the necessary steps, whether it’s for a payment card, loyalty card, or ticket.
4. Scanning QR Code with Google
With Google, you can scan QR codes saved within your iPhone’s gallery as well. Although, if you haven’t already– you might have to install Google from the App Store.
To scan QR codes with Google:
- Launch Google on your iPhone.
- Tap the Google Lens symbol (a little camera icon) at the right side of the search bar.
- Place the QR code in front of the iPhone’s camera or select an image containing the code saved in your gallery.
- The QR code will be immediately recognized by Google Lens, which will then direct you to the linked website or information.
5. Scanning QR Code with Chrome
To scan the QR code with Chrome on your iPhone, you may need to install the app first and then follow these steps:
- Tap and hold the Chrome logo on your iPhone’s home screen. Select Scan QR Code from the list of options.
- You will be automatically directed to Chrome’s QR scanner.
- To scan the QR code, place your iPhone’s camera over it.
- Chrome will show the contents of the QR code when it has been scanned.
6. Scanning QR Code in iPhone Photos
You can also scan images with a QR code saved in Photos with the Live Text feature. This feature enables interaction with text inside of photos or screenshots. Here’s how:
- Launch iPhone Photos and locate the picture with the QR code you wish to scan.
- Tap the Live Text button on the bottom right corner.
- By doing so, Live Text will be activated. Next, tap the QR code to scan it.
Using your iPhone to scan QR codes is now a practical approach to engaging with various materials and obtaining information. You can do so by using the Camera app, the Control Centre, the Wallet app, the built-in scanner from Google, and the QR code scanner included in Chrome. The process itself is fairly consistent and straightforward across all methods.
To enable QR code scanning, go to iPhone Settings, then to Camera, and toggle the ‘Scan QR Codes’ switch on. This feature is available on iPhones running iOS 11 and above.
You can scan QR codes using the iPhone’s Camera app, Control Centre, Wallet app, Google app, Chrome browser, or even scan QR codes within your iPhone Photos using the Live Text feature.
Yes, you can scan QR codes from saved images using Google Lens or the Live Text feature in iPhone Photos. Just follow the respective instructions for each method.
When scanning QR codes with the Control Centre, you have the option to turn on the flashlight, making it possible to scan codes in dimly lit environments.
iPhones running iOS 11 or later can scan QR codes with their built-in camera app. Ensure that your software is updated to make use of this function.