If you are getting the “Outlook data file cannot be accessed error” then it is most likely due to a corrupt data file. The work around that has worked for me most of the time is to create a temporary data file.
Move over everything to it and import the previous data if needed into the newly created data file.
For some users, scanning the file with SCANPST (a tool provided by Microsoft has also worked) located in the install directory has also fixed this issue. If you do not want to create a new data file then i suggest scanning the datafile with SCAN PST.
Steps to fix Outlook data file cannot be accessed error
- Go to the File menu and select Account -> Account Settings
- Select “Change Folder“
- Create a temporary data file by clicking on “New Outlook Data File” and name it test.
- Expand the folders by clicking the + symbol from the folder tree and select Inbox and click OK.
- Then click on Change Folder and select the folder you want.
- Click the + symbol again to the left of the folder and expand the subfolders, then click on Inbox and Click OK.
Now exit out and check if Send/Receive works as normal and you can access the data file.