Players have reported a bad performance from their FIFA 23, it could be due to several reasons, such as your computer not meeting the recommended requirements to run the game for smooth gameplay or an outdated version of the graphics card drivers could also affect the overall game performance.
1. Check System Requirements
All games have standardized system requirements required by the game to run smoothly on a computer. If the user’s computer can not meet these system requirements, the game might not launch or crash and stutter. Check System’s requirements before buying any game. Here are FIFA 23’s required and minimum system requirements.
If your computer does not land between or over the minimum system requirements, then, unfortunately, it will be hard for you to play the game. You could try lowering the graphics settings to make the game playable on your hardware.
2. Uninstall and Reinstall the Graphic Drivers
The problem might be caused due to an outdated or corrupt installation of graphics drivers on your computer.
In this method, we’ll perform a clean installation of the graphics driver. We will use a third-party tool to uninstall the currently installed graphics drivers on your computer, allowing the user to uninstall the graphics driver entirely without leaving any residual files or empty registry entries. Follow these steps:
2.1 Uninstall the Display Drivers
Follow these straightforward steps carefully to uninstall the currently installed graphics/Display drivers on your computer.
- Click here to download a Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). It is a third-party tool that will simplify the uninstallation process for you.
- Scroll down, Click on a server closest to you and download the DDU.
- Once Downloaded, Extract the downloaded ‘.Zip’ file’s content to a new folder.
- Open the folder and Click on the DDU v126.96.36.199 application file.
- Select a Path and click on the Extract button.
- Once Installed, Open the Display Driver Uninstaller application.
- On startup, Close the Popup box by clicking the Close button on the bottom right.
- Now, As shown in the highlighted box below. Select your Graphics card vendor.
- Now, Click on the Clean and Restart button.
- Your PC may restart during the uninstallation process.
2.2 Download and Install the Display Drivers (Nvidia)
Follow these steps to install the latest display drivers for your Nvidia Graphics card:
- Click here to open Nvidia’s driver’s download catalog.
- Scroll down and in the Manual Driver Search. Select your Graphics card.
- After you have selected your graphics card, Click on Start Search.
- Scroll down again, and Download the GeForce Game Ready Driver – WHQL by clicking on the Get Download button.
- Once the download is complete, Run the Downloaded file.
- Click on Agree and Continue.
- After that, Click on the Custom (Advanced) radio button, and click on the Next to continue.
- Now, check the Perform Clean Installation option and click on Next.
- Once you are done installing the graphics card drivers, Restart your computer.
2.3 Download and install the Display drivers (AMD)
If you’re an AMD Graphics card user, Follow these steps to download and install the Display drivers for your computer.
- Click here to open AMD’s Driver download catalog.
- Now, Select your Graphics card’s make and model in the boxes, as shown in the image below.
- After that, Download the drivers suitable for your computer, and open the file once downloaded.
- Once you have opened the driver installation software, wait for a while.
- After that, Click on Advanced Options.
- Check the Factory Reset checkbox and Click on the Install button to proceed with the installation procedure.
- Once installed, Restart your computer.
3. Update Game
You might be facing stuttering and lagging with FIFA 23 due to an outdated system of game files. Game developers usually keep dropping new updates that fix certain issues that users face and report to them in this step. We’ll update the game to the latest available version to fix this issue. Follow these straightforward steps to do so:
- Open Steam.
- In the list of games on the left side of steam’s UI, Right Click on FIFA 23 and click on Properties.
- In the Properties Window, Click on Update, situated on the left side of the window.
- Now click on the drop-down arrow and select Always keep this game Updated. This will automatically keep your game updated to the latest patch available.
Similarly, If you’re an origin user, keep your game updated to the latest available patch to avoid any issues with the game.
4. Run the Game on Dedicated Graphics Card
It is quite possible that your game is not automatically detecting your computer’s dedicated graphic card; in such cases, it is possible for users to face issues with the game as the game is not receiving the required resources to function properly. Follow these steps to run the game on a Dedicated Graphics card:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the start menu, and in the windows start menu, search menu, type Graphics Settings, and click on it to open it.
- Click on the Browse button.
- Now, Locate FIFA 23 installation folder. Here are a few default install locations for different launchers.
Origin : C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games Steam : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam apps\Common EA : C:\Program Files\EA Games Epic Games: C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games
- Once You’re Inside FIFA 23’s Installation folder, Single-Click on the FIFA23.exe application file and click on the ADD button.
- Similarly, Repeat the process and add the FIFA23_trial.exe.
- Once done. In the list of applications, Click on FIFA 23, and then click on the Options button.
- Now, Check the High-Performance radio button.
- Click on Save.
Once you apply the steps mentioned above, Restart your computer to finalize your changes. Try Launching FIFA 23 after that; if the problem persists, continue to the next step.
5. Uninstall and Reinstall the EA anti-cheat
Users have reported doing this has resolved the issue for them; in this step, we’ll Uninstall the EA anti-cheat and Reinstall it after. It is possible that the version of EA anti-cheat installed on your computer is either unstable or corrupt, which means it might be conflicting with your game’s overall performance. Follow these straightforward steps:
- Open Steam.
- In the list of games, Locate and Right-click on FIFA 23.
- Now, Tap on Manage and Click on Browse Local Files.
- After that, Double Click to open the __Installer folder.
- Similarly, Open the EAAntiCheat folder.
- Right Click on EAAntiCheatInstaller.exe and click on Run as Administrator.
- In the new window opened, Click on the drop-down menu arrow and select FIFA 23, as shown in the image below.
- Now, Click on the Uninstall button.
- Once the EA AntiCheat is uninstalled, Close steam/origin or whatever platform you use to play FIFA 23.
- After that, Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the windows start menu, and in the windows start menu search bar, type Steam, Right-Click on Steam, and click on Run as Administrator.
- In the list of games, Locate FIFA 23 and Click on Play. Upon pressing play, you’ll eventually be represented with an error popup.
- Click on the Reinstall AntiCheat button.
- Once installed, Launch FIFA 23.
6. Configure in-game Settings
Well, If your computer is not resourceful enough to run the game properly. Try lowering the in-game settings to make due. By default, FIFA sets the graphical settings to provide the best possible visually appealing gameplay, which might lead you to face errors such as lagging and stuttering or an overall unsatisfactory performance with the game. Follow these steps to configure in-game settings:
- Open Steam and Run FIFA 23.
- Click on the Customise menu button.
- Now, Click on the Settings menu box.
- After that, Click on the Game Settings menu.
- In the navigation menu located at the top of the screen, Click on Display Configuration.
- Lower the resolution to 1600*900 or something else, depending on your computer’s resources.
- Turn off Super Resolution.
- Similarly, Turn off Hair Effects and Lower the textures settings.
- Also, Try Windowed mode to see if it helps you achieve better performance without causing any inconvenience.
Once done, Apply the settings and try playing the game. If the problem persists,
continue to the next step.
7. Verify the game files
Another possibility of users facing lagging and stuttering issues with the game might be due to corrupt game files. This could be due to an unstable downloading process; in such cases, it is advised to verify the game files. This process is straightforward as most launchers have built-in features that help users automate the file verification process. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open Steam.
- In the list of games on the left side of steams UI, Locate FIFA 23 and Right-Click on it.
- Click on the Properties button.
- In the newly opened windows, Click on Local Files, as shown in the image.
- After that, Click on Verify game file Integrity.
- Wait for a while until it finishes processing.
Once done, Try launching the game. If the issue presumes, continue to the next step.
8. Close Overlay Applications
Users have reported doing this has helped them increase overall performance for all games. A lot of applications nowadays provide users to run applications over other processes. For example, Discord, Origin, etc. We’ll be disabling discord and origin’s overlay feature as an example.
8.1 Close Discord Overlay
Follow these steps to disable the discord overlay:
- Open Discord.
- In the bottom-left of the discords UI, click on the Settings icon, as shown in the image below.
- Now, Locate the Game Overlay settings menu inside the menu located on the left side of your screen.
- Toggle the Enable in-game overlay switch to off.
- Apply the settings.
8.2 Close Origin Overlay.
Follow these steps to close the origin overlay for FIFA 23:
- Open the Origin launcher.
- In the menu on the left side of Origins UI, Click on My game Library.
- Right-click on FIFA 23 and click on the Game properties button.
- Now, Uncheck the Enable Origin In-game for FIFA 23 option.
- Click on the Save button.
Similarly, apply similar settings to other applications with overlay features on your computer to achieve a better performance in FIFA 23 and other video games.
9. Modify Launch Options (Steam Only)
Steam allows users to enter modifications to default launch options. Reportedly, this has helped several users recover from incompatible video settings and solved several troubleshooting issues. Follow these steps to modify launch options in steam.
- Open Steam.
- Right-Click on FIFA 23 and click on Properties.
- In the Launch Options text box, Type ‘dx11’ or ‘dx12‘ as shown in the image below.
Try launching the game with either of the launch options and identify which works best for you.
10. Update Windows
It is advised by Microsoft experts to keep your windows up-to-date. If your computer’s operating system is outdated or unstable, it will affect all processes majorly. The updating process is easy and will fix most known bugs on your computer. Follow these steps to do so:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the windows start menu. Type Check for Updates in the start menu search bar.
- Click on Check for Updates.
- Now, Windows will automatically download and install if any updates are available.
- Once updated, Restart your computer.
11 Reinstall FIFA 23
If none of the above-mentioned fixes have worked for you, try reinstalling FIFA 23. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open steam.
- Right-click on FIFA 23 and Click on Manage.
- Now, Click on Uninstall.
- Proceed with uninstalling the game. After that, Restart your computer.
- Once uninstalled, Install the game once again. Hopefully it resolves the issue.