The cdp.dll error in Windows usually appears when the cdp.dll file goes missing during the installation of a program or game. The error prevents the particular app or game from installing and launching it generally appears when setup files are corrupted or damaged.
The error presents itself with the error code 0xc0000006 and usually occurs due to corrupted Windows files, virus infection, or the DLL files getting deleted or misplaced. Luckily the error is easy to fix. Here, we have listed the potential fixes that worked for many affected users. Follow each one below, step by step.
1. Run SFC & DISM Command
As said above, the corrupted or damaged Windows system files cause the error, so repairing the corrupted Windows system files is suggested. In this case, it is recommended to run Window’s inbuilt SFC (System File Checker) command to identify the corrupted files and repair them automatically.
Follow the instructions below to run the system file checker:
- Open Start Menu, now in the search bar type “Command Prompt,” right-click on the result, and select “Run as administrator.”
- To execute the SFC Scan, type following command in CMD:
- Wait for the scanning process to finish.
- Now type the below-listed commands one by one and hit Enter.
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Let the process complete, then restart your system to see if the error is fixed or not.
2. Install Every Pending Windows Update
If you are using an early build or beta version of the Windows 11 operating system, problems like these may frequently occur because early builds and betas have some DLL files stripped. Therefore, updating to the most recent build is advised. Follow the instructions below to update Windows to the most recent build:
- Press the Windows + I key to open Settings
- Now select the Windows Update option from the list on the left.
- When you select the option to Check for Updates, Windows will look for the recent update and download any available updates.
After the procedure, restart your computer and check if the error is resolved.
3. Download CDP.dll File Manually
As said above, if the CDP.dll is deleted or corrupted, then the following error is shown. You can download the file manually from the Internet and check if that helps solve the issue. To do so, follow the steps underneath:
- Launch any web browser and search for the CDP.dll file on this website.
- Click on the CDP.dll file and click on the download button.
- The file will be downloaded as a WinRAR file. Extract it to the location of the game, and this may fix the error.
4. Reinstall the Problematic Program
There can sometimes be an issue with the program you are trying to launch that is causing the error directly. In such a case, it is recommended to reinstall the program. This will uninstall the corrupted system files and install a fresh version on top. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Press the Windows + R key to open the run box and type appwiz.cpl, and hit Enter
- Look through the list of the problematic program.
- After selecting the program, click on Uninstall.
- Now reinstall the program completely and check if the issue is resolved.