Many users reported an issue when they try to use the scanner with their system. They say an error “You need a WIA driver to use this device, please install it from the installation CD or manufacture website” occurs. In this case, you can take printouts of the document but cannot scan them. This error crashes the scanner completely and affects the performance of the operating system.
What causes “You need a WIA driver to use this device” in your system?
Here are some reasons why the “You need a WIA driver to use this device” error occurs on windows;
- Missing or corrupted WIA Drivers: WIA drivers help in communicating the graphics applications with Imaging Devices like Printers and scanners. When these drivers are missing from your system, then the graphics apps cannot link with the scanner. You can print the document without scanning it. You resolve this issue by Re-installing the WIA Drivers.
- Outdated or incompatible WIA Drivers: These drivers do not support the new version of windows. That is why this error occurs in your system. To fix this issue, you need to install the latest updates regarding WIA Drivers and check whether they are compatible with your Windows version or not.
- Hardware Damage: If you have tried all the methods to resolve the issue but the error is still there. It may be because of some hardware damage. Check the USB port and scanner Cable. You can run the hardware Troubleshooter to detect the issue. If there is any problem you need to address this issue with hardware experts.
1. Start and Enable the WIA service
Window Imaging Acquisition (WIA) enables the graphic software/applications to communicate with imaging devices. If this service is not available it can completely crash the scanner. To make better communication between the scanner and graphic applications, start the WIA service. The following steps will help you in fixing this issue;
- Click on the Start menu and type Services on the search bar.
- Double click on the service app.
- Scroll down and double-click on Window Image Acquisition (WIA).
- Select General and chose Automatic from the startup type and press Apply and then press ok.
- Now go to the Log-on option from the menu bar. Select the Local System account.
- Then, check the box that says Allow service interact with the device.
- Click on Apply then press OK.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem is fixed or not.
2. Remove and Reinstall the WIA Drivers
This error is critical for windows. It can create issues with the Operating system and make your scanner unusable completely. So, fix this issue by following these steps;
- Click on the Start Menu and open Device Manager.
- Now click on the View from the Menu Bar. Select Show Hidden devices.
- So, from here expand the Imaging Device. Then right-click on the Scanner Device and select Uninstall Option.
- Restart the computer. The WIA Drivers will reinstall automatically.
3. Update the scanner drivers
When the users install the latest updates of windows, they usually do not update the other drivers i.e. scanner driver. So, The new version of windows does not support the outdated scanner drivers. There are many ways to update your drivers;
Update the Drivers from the Website
Scanners manufacturers have their websites for online support. The website has the latest versions of drivers. You can go and install these drivers in your system. So, follow these steps;
- Open google and go to the manufacturer’s website of the scanner.
- Check for the latest drivers for your scanner. Download the update and install the drivers properly.
- Once, the installation is done, restart your PC.
Update the Scanner Drivers via Device manager
The device manager facilitates its users in updating the drivers. A user can also uninstall the drivers. It works manually. So, here are some steps to update the drivers;
- Go to the start menu and d click on the Device Manager.
- Now expand the option of Image Devices. So, Right-click on all the devices and update drivers.
- click on the Search for the driver automatically and then press the option that says; Search for the updated driver in window updates.
Update the drivers via Windows Update Utility
The window updates help in installing WIA Drivers. You can follow these steps to check for the latest updates on windows.
- Now go to the Start Menu and open the windows settings.
- Then select the Windows Update and then click on the Check for all updates.
- Install all the available updates regarding scanner drivers.
- So, restart your computer and check if the problem is fixed or not.
4. Run Hardware Troubleshooter
Windows has a built-in feature to troubleshoot software and hardware-related problems. Troubleshooting helps in detecting the real issue and repairing it automatically. The scanner error may cause because some hardware damage such as damaged USB ports and Cables. Here are some steps to Run the Hardware troubleshoot.
- Go and Right-Click on Start Menu and open the Settings.
- Select the System from the left side of the screen. So, scroll down and click on
- Now click on the other troubleshooting. Go to hardware troubleshooting and press Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for a few minutes then restart your system and then check if the problem is resolved.
5. Check the Scanner’s working
As WIA error stops the scanning. But it allows the document to print. After applying all the above methods, you can check whether your scanner is functioning well or not. So, here are some steps you can follow to check the scanner’s working.
- Go to the start menu and type Control Panel.
- Click on the Hardware and Sound. Now click on Device and Printers.
- Right-click your scanner. A new scan page will open. If the scan option is enabled and you can edit its properties, it means the issue is fixed.