From making calls to helping you navigate, Apple‘s voice-activated, AI-powered virtual assistant, Siri, can help you perform various tasks. But many iPhone users have reported that Siri stopped working after they updated their devices to the latest iOS 16.
Problems with Siri might include non-responsiveness to requests, misinterpretations, or failure to activate. As common as this bug may be, it can be upsetting for users who depend on Siri for their everyday tasks. However, this issue can be resolved in a few simple steps.
Table of Fixes:
- How to Fix Siri Not Working iOS 16?
- 1. Restart Your iPhone
- 2. Enable Dictation
- 3. Enable “Hey Siri” on your iPhone
- 4. Change Siri’s Voice and Language
- 5. Test Your iPhone’s Microphone
- 6. Check Your Work Connection
- 7. Reset Network Settings
- 8. Change Keyboard Language
- 9. Update Your iPhone
- 10. Disable Low Power Mode
- 11. Check Content Restrictions
- 12. Enable Siri When iPhone Is Locked
- 13. Reset Your iPhone
How to Fix Siri Not Working iOS 16?
Before proceeding, ensure that your device is connected to a stable internet connection. To fix Siri not working in iOS 16, try out the following solutions:
1. Restart Your iPhone
It is common for iPhones to disrupt certain functions or apps. In such cases, restarting the device fixes the problem. Similarly, restarting your iPhone may also fix Siri not working. To restart your iPhone:
- Press and quickly release the volume up button, then press and quickly release the volume down button.
- Hold the power button for a few seconds until the power off slider shows.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn your iPhone off.
- After a while, turn your iPhone back on by pressing the power or side button for a few seconds.
- Once powered back on, check if Siri is now functioning.
2. Enable Dictation
Since Siri and Dictation use the same voice recognition technology, enabling dictation may fix Siri not working in iOS 16. To enable dictation:
- Open Settings on your iPhone and go to General > Keyboard.
- Turn the Enable Dictation toggle on.
- Restart your iPhone and test Siri.
3. Enable “Hey Siri” on your iPhone
You may fix Siri not working in iOS 16 by enabling “Listen for Hey Siri.” This feature lets you activate Siri hands-free by using your voice. To enable Hey Siri:
- Launch iPhone settings and navigate to Siri & Search.
- Toggle the “Listen for Hey Siri” button on.
- Set up Hey Siri by speaking the five phrases required for Siri to recognize your voice.
- Once set up, test Siri by saying “Hey Siri” followed by a command or query
4. Change Siri’s Voice and Language
Changing Siri’s voice and language is a possible resolution related to response and recognition issues. To change Siri’s voice:
- Open iPhone settings and go to Siri & Search > Voice.
- Change Siri’s voice to British and then change it back to your preferred voice.
To change Siri’s language:
- Launch iPhone settings and go to Siri & Search > Language.
- Change the language to English (UK).
After changing Siri’s voice and language, check to see if Siri is working properly. Also, note that after changing the language, you will have to set Hey Siri up again.
5. Test Your iPhone’s Microphone
It is possible that Siri isn’t working due to an issue with your iPhone’s microphone. Siri uses the microphone to listen and process your voice commands. To check your iPhone’s microphone:
- Check to see if your iPhone’s microphone is physically obstructed or damaged.
- Remove any protective cases and clean the mic with a brush to remove any visible debris.
- Open the Voice Memos app on your iPhone and try recording an audio clip.
- After recording, play back the audio to check if the microphone is capturing sound correctly.
6. Check Your Work Connection
Siri depends on a stable internet connection to process voice commands and give responses. If Siri is not working in iOS 16, check if your device has a reliable internet connection.
To check your network connection:
- Wi-Fi Connection: Ensure that your Wi-Fi signal is strong and stable. Check other devices on the same network to see if they can access the internet without any issues.
- Mobile Data: If you’re using Siri over mobile data, ensure that your cellular data is enabled and that you have a cellular signal.
7. Reset Network Settings
Resetting your iPhone’s network settings may fix the bug if you’re experiencing issues with Siri after verifying your network connection. To reset network settings:
- Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Select Reset > Reset Network Settings and enter your iPhone’s passcode.
- Your iPhone will restart with the network settings reset to default.
- Connect to an internet connection and test Siri.
8. Change Keyboard Language
In certain cases, Siri’s working can be affected by language settings, especially if Siri’s language and keyboard’s language are not the same. To change keyboard language:
- Launch your device’s settings, go to General > Keyboard and select Keyboards.
- Change it to English (UK). You might have to install the keyboard if you haven’t already.
- Test Siri and see if it is working now.
9. Update Your iPhone
Apple keeps launching new updates for bug fixes and improvements. Update your iPhone to the latest software to solve Siri not working in iOS 16. To update your iPhone:
- Launch Settings and go to General > Software Update.
- Your iPhone will search for any new updates. If an iOS update is available, select Download and Install.
- Once the download completes, initiate the installation process by entering your iPhone’s passcode.
- When your iPhone restarts after the update, check if Siri is now functioning correctly.
10. Disable Low Power Mode
The low power mode in your iPhone conserves the battery by reducing activity and limiting functions. Siri may not work properly when the low power mode is enabled.
To disable low power mode:
- Open your iPhone’s settings, scroll down, and go to Battery.
- Toggle the Low Power Mode switch off.
- Exit the settings and try using Siri.
11. Check Content Restrictions
Content restrictions might hinder Siri’s functionality, especially if some apps or features are restricted. To check and adjust content restrictions:
- Launch iPhone settings and go to Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Enable Content & Privacy Restrictions if they aren’t already.
- Select Allowed Apps and check if any apps that rely on Siri are not allowed.
- Test Siri to see if the problem is fixed.
12. Enable Siri When iPhone Is Locked
Enabling Siri when the iPhone’s locked can solve the issue of Siri not working in iOS 16.
- Open Settings and go to Siri & Search.
- Enable Allow Siri When Locked by toggling the button on.
- Lock your iPhone and check to see if Siri is working by saying Hey Siri.
13. Reset Your iPhone
Resetting your iPhone can fix various bugs, including Siri not working in iOS 16. Before proceeding, make sure to back up your iPhone to avoid losing any data.
- Launch iPhone settings and go to General > Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Select Erase All Content and Settings.
- Enter your iPhone’s passcode to initiate the process.
- Once the reset finishes and your iPhone restarts, restore iCloud back up and set Siri up again.
- Check to see if Siri is now functioning properly.
If none of the above solutions fix the problem with Siri not working, it is recommended to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store for assistance. It is most likely that the bug lies in hardware or other underlying problems.
Siri Not Working- FAQs
Siri might not work properly in iOS 16 due to many reasons. It can be due to software-related bugs, network connectivity problems, or issues with apps. Plus, you may need to recheck Siri settings after updating your iPhone.
Background noise, a poor microphone, or wrong pronunciation can interfere with Siri’s ability to understand voice commands. When interacting with Siri, make sure you’re speaking clearly. Also, test your device’s microphone to see whether it is functioning properly.
No, updating your iPhone to iOS 16 doesn’t necessarily cause Siri to become dysfunctional. Some users have reported experiencing problems with Siri after the update. However, this bug can occur due to other underlying problems as well.
To troubleshoot Siri on iOS 16, check your internet connection and restart your iPhone. Ensure Siri is enabled in Settings > Siri & Search and your microphone works with other apps. Disable and re-enable Siri, and update your iPhone to the latest iOS. If the problem persists, contact Apple Support. [wsfq]Is Siri on iOS 16 compatible with all iPhone models?[/wsfq][wsfa]Siri is generally compatible with most modern iPhone models running iOS 16. However, some advanced features may require specific hardware capabilities present in newer iPhone models. If you have an older iPhone, certain Siri functionalities may be limited compared to the latest models.