If you are looking for ways to install Fedora workstation on your Virtual Box Machine, then you may find it amusing that there is a simple method to install this powerful operating system for your desktop. Following the steps below, you will learn how to Install and set up the Fedora Workstation on your Virtual Box machine.
Step 1: Download the Fedora ISO File
To install Fedora, it is necessary to have its ISO file, which you can load into VMware and start the installation process. Therefore, we will download the ISO file of fedora first.
- Open the official Fedora webpage.
- Click “Download Now” on the Fedora Workstation.
Click on the x86_64 Live ISO Download button.
Once the ISO file is downloaded, you can move to Step 2.
Step 2: Setting up Virtual Box for the Installation process
Before installing the fedora on Virtual Box, you must adjust the settings of Virtual Box according to your needs. Follow these steps:
- Open your Virtual Box and Click on the “New” option on top of the screen to open the Virtual Machine Creation page.
- Type in “Fedora” as the File Name.
- Change the Version of the Machine by selecting “Fedora (64-bit).”
- Select “Linux” as the primary operating system type for the Machine and click on the Next button.
- Set your Base Memory to 2048 MB and the Processors to 1.
(You can adjust the Memory and Processors that you want to dedicate to Fedora as you wish.)
- Uncheck the “Enable EFI” option below and click on the Next button.
- Click on the “Create a Virtual Hard Disk Now” option and set the Disk Size to 15.00 GB.
- Un-check the “Pre-allocated Full Size” option and click on the Next button.
- Click the Finish button on the Summary page.
Step 3: Load the ISO file into Virtual Optical Disk
After setting up the Virtual Box for the Installation process, you must load the ISO file so that Virtual Box can detect the Fedora installation disk. Follow these steps:
- Click on the Settings option at the top of the screen to open the Fedora Settings page.
- Click on the Storage option on the right side of the panel.
- On the Storage Device option, click on the Optical Disk Operator icon.
- Click on the Add option on the Optical Disk Operator page.
- Find the location where you downloaded the Fedora Workstation ISO File.
- Click on the downloaded file and then click on Open.
- Click on the “Choose” button.
- Click on OK.
Step 4: Installation Process of Fedora
Let’s start installing Fedora now. Follow these steps:-
- Click on the Start Button at the top of the screen to start the Virtual Machine.
- Wait for for the Virtual Machine to turn on.
- Once you are on the Welcome to Fedora Screen.
- Click on the “install Fedora to Hard Drive” Option on the screen.
- Select the Type of Language you want to assign to the system and click on “Continue.”
- Click on the “Installation Desitination” option under “System” to decide where you want to install Fedora, and click on “Done.”
- Click on Begin Installation to initiate the installation process.
- Click on “Root Password” and “User Creation” to set up your account on Fedora.
- Click on Finish Configuration and let the installation complete.
- Click on Quit to fully install Fedora Workstation on your VirtualBox machine.
Note: Once you have followed each step we have listed above, you will Install and set up Fedora on your Virtual Box and can perform activities on the Virtual Machine, such as creating Terminals and accessing other features on Linux. However, note that when you click the start button at the end of the process, ensure not to press any key on your keyboard since any action from the keyboard will interfere with the Initiation of Fedora Live.