Do you need to print something from your iPhone? You’re not alone. Even though we live in a mostly digital world, sometimes we still need to print things like shipping labels or even just a fun meme. The good news is that with Apple’s AirPrint feature, printing from your iPhone is a breeze.
In this blog, we’ll guide you through everything you need to know, from understanding what AirPrint is to printing documents and photos using it and even alternative methods without AirPrint. We’ll also cover using specific printer apps, Bluetooth printing, and how to solve common printing problems with your iPhone.
Table of Contents
- What is AirPrint?
- How to print from an iPhone with AirPrint?
- Print from iPhone without AirPrint
- Troubleshooting common printing issues
What is AirPrint?
AirPrint is a special feature developed by Apple that lets you print stuff easily without needing extra software or tricky setups. If you want to print pictures or documents from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, AirPrint can help you do it.
Some of the cool things AirPrint does include finding printers by itself, choosing the right paper type, and offering quality printing options. To start using AirPrint, here’s what you need:
- An iPhone that’s at least an iPhone 3GS or newer.
- iPod touch from the 3rd generation onwards.
- Any model of iPad.
- Your device should have iOS 4.2 or a newer version.
- You should be connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
Which printers are AirPrint compatible?
When AirPrint debuted, only Hewlett-Packard (HP) printers could use AirPrint. But now, so many printers from many different companies can use it. What’s great is that there’s a wide choice: from ones that use ink to lasers, to even printers just for photos.
How to print from an iPhone with AirPrint?
First, check if your printer supports AirPrint. If you’re unsure, ask the manufacturer or check Apple’s support page to see a list of compatible printers. Next, ensure both your iPhone or iPad and the printer are connected with the same Wi-Fi connection. Also, stay close enough to the printer.
1. Print documents with AirPrint
Here’s how to print a photo or document from your iPhone with AirPrint:
- Ensure both your iPhone and printer are on the same Wi-Fi. Open the “Files” app and select the document you want to print.
- Tap on the “Share” button, usually on the bottom left.
- Scroll down and choose “Print” from the list.
- On the next screen, tap on “Printer.” You’ll see a list of printers on your Wi-Fi. Pick the one you need.
- You have several options for print settings. You can choose number of copies, paper size, orientation of page, scaling, and layout. Once you are done with these setting, tap “Print” to initiate the printing command.
Your document will be printed from the chosen printer.
2. Print photos with AirPrint
Follow these steps if you want to print a photo from your iPhone with AirPrint:
- Check that both your iPhone and printer are on the same Wi-Fi. Go to the “Photos” app and pick the picture you want to print.
- Tap the “Share” button, found on the bottom left.
- Scroll down and select “Print.”
- In the “Print options” window, tap on “Printer.” A list of printers on your Wi-Fi will show up. Choose the one you prefer. Select settings like the paper size and number of copies you need. After that, tap “Print.”
Print from iPhone without AirPrint
If your printer isn’t set up for AirPrint, you can still print from your iPhone or iPad. Many printer brands like HP, Canon, and Lexmark offer their own apps to help you print. There are also Wi-Fi-ready printers with specific apps designed for them.
Additionally, third-party apps support a range of printers and even offer features not found in AirPrint. Bluetooth is another way to connect. If your printer supports Bluetooth, pair it with your iPhone and follow any software prompts.
Many Wi-Fi printers come with an email address. To print, send the document to that email. Then, use the printer’s menu to get your printout.
1. Print from an iPhone with Bluetooth Connection
If you have a Bluetooth-enabled printer and you’d like to connect your iPhone to a printer via Bluetooth, here’s how you can do it:
- First, ensure the printer is powered on and set to Bluetooth mode. Navigate to the iPhone “Settings” on your iPhone, then select “Bluetooth.”
- Activate Bluetooth on your iPhone and wait as it searches for nearby devices.
- Locate your printer’s name in the displayed list of Bluetooth devices and tap on it to establish a connection.
- If the printer prompts verification, enter it and select “Pair.” Make sure you also select the pairing or verification on the printer. Not all printers ask for this pairing verification.
After a successful pairing, the iPhone should recognize the printer and display it as connected. When it comes to print photo or document with Bluetooth printer, you can proceed with the same methods outlined in the earlier steps.
2. Print from an iPhone with a USB cable
You can still print from your iPhone if your printer doesn’t support wireless printing. You’ll require a USB cable and a USB OTG (on-the-go) adapter that connects your iPhone to the cable. First, turn on your printer. Then, connect the USB cable to your printer.
The other side of the cable goes into the USB OTG adapter. This adapter plugs into your iPhone or iPad. A message will appear on your iPhone when everything is connected. After seeing this message, you can easily print your documents.
3. Print from an iPhone with printer’s app (or any other third-party app)
Printing from an iPhone or iPad is easy, even if you don’t have AirPrint. A lot of printer brands have developed their official apps, making it simple for you to send documents or photos straight to the printer.
But if your printer doesn’t have its own app, don’t worry. Many other apps are available in the App Store, such as Print n Share (paid) and PrinterShare (free), that can help you connect to various printers. So, with a little setup and the right app, you can print with your iPhone, making your life much more convenient.
Troubleshooting common printing issues with your iPhone and printer
Like any other gadget, printers can sometimes run into troubles affecting their performance. If your iPhone can’t detect the printer, loses its connection, or if the print quality isn’t right, here’s how to tackle these issues:
- Printer not found: Make sure your printer and iPhone are both turned on and connected to the same Wi-Fi. Consider restarting both. Try to print from another device to check.
- Printing issues: If the print isn’t clear, inspect and change the ink or toner if it’s running low. Clean the print heads and rollers for better results. Also, tweak the print settings to enhance quality.
- Software or app glitches: Sometimes, the problem lies in outdated software or glitches in the printing app. Update your iPhone’s operating system and the printer’s app if available.
Understanding how to print from an iPhone can greatly simplify your day-to-day tasks. With advancements in technology, iPhones now offer a variety of methods to get your documents and photos printed, be it through AirPrint, Bluetooth, USB cables, or even third-party apps.
While printers, like any gadget, can occasionally encounter issues, the fixes are usually straightforward. Always ensure your devices are connected to the same network and monitor ink levels for the best print quality. By staying updated and familiarizing yourself with these methods, you can ensure seamless printing experiences anytime, anywhere.
Yes, you can. Using AirPrint is the easiest method to print from your device because you do not need to download apps to print – this feature is already built into your iPhone.
For AirPrint capabilities, your iPhone should have iOS 4.2 or newer versions. Also, your printer should be compatible.
To check if your printer supports AirPrint, visit the official Apple support website. There, you’ll find a comprehensive list of AirPrint-compatible printers.