Windows updates are meant to bring new features in an operating system, improve security, fix bugs and other issue and improve interface or functionality of features. Windows seems to do this as soon as known issues appear from their consumers. The updating process should be fast, simple and seamless.
However, several windows 10 users have complained of the latest windows update (KB3206632 as of Dec 2016) not downloading completely. Many have reported it freezing at 23% or 45% or 95% after which it never completes the download. The windows update application responds but the download does not progress. This means these users will not be able to install this update unless the download completes. It is recommended that you do not shut down your computer during the windows updates download process; but if you choose to do, the update will begin at 0% and the same problem is likely to occur.
We are going to tell you why you should install the latest windows update in this article. We also address the issue of windows update application freezing and give you solutions and a work around to the problem.
The KB3206632 Update
KB3206632 is a Windows accumulative update available for Windows 10 only. This is the latest Windows 10 update available for download as of December 2016. Several prerequisites are needed in order to install the KB3206632 update. The size of this specific update is 948 MB, 76MB short of a GB. So this is a pretty huge update.
Windows released this update in order to improve reliability of Security Support Provider Interface. The update also addresses a service crash in CDPSVC that in some situations could lead to the machine not being able to acquire an IP address. The Hello Application was also given a power saving feature, bugs in internet explorer fixed and the Exchange sync bug patched. Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Uniscribe, and Common Log File System Driver were also incorporated into the KB3206632 update.
More information can be found here.
Reasons KB3206632 Update may appear to be stuck
We have seen why this update is important. In fact, many IT experts recommend that you install it. If you are on this page, then probably, this update is not installing on your PC or it freezes at a certain percentage for way to long. Why would this occur?
Loss of internet connection or slow internet connection
If you lose your internet connection, it means that you are no longer able to connect to the Microsoft servers in order to complete the update. Your download therefore seems to take ages to complete because there is nothing coming in.
A slow internet connection might also give the same symptoms. If the network is not able to create a secure connection with the Microsoft servers, then there will be nothing available to download since there will be no communication with the host server. Even if a secure connection can be established, the slow speed might take ages to complete the download.
Lack of memory/disk space
Windows updates are downloaded to your hard disk or SSD or SSHD before they can be installed. If you do not have enough space for the complete file, your download will freeze until more space is available.
Server or Windows Update Application error
As at the date of publication of this device, Microsoft has not acknowledged any bugs in the download of the KB3206632 update. If your internet connection is okay and you have enough memory space, then probably the server hosting the file might be misbehaving. Alternatively, the windows update application might also be a culprit for this misgiving. Communication between the server and the windows update application might be terminating prematurely or putting the download on standby indefinitely.
Some users confirm that Windows 10 eventually manages to install KB3206632 after a few hours. If you’re patient enough, don’t take any action when you notice that the download process got stuck. After 2 or 3 hours, the download should go to 100%. However, bear in mind that this “method” doesn’t always work.
Here are a few solutions that have worked for several users might get you back on track.
Method 1: Terminate the internet connection and defer feature updates
This solution will try to jump start your download so that it can be completed in case it was terminated prematurely or communication with the server was lost. In your windows 10, follow this instructions.
- Click the Start button, click options (three horizontal lines icon), Settings (from drop down menu), Update & security, Advanced options. Check the box before Defer Feature Updates.
- Click the Start button, click options (three horizontal lines icon), Settings, Update & security, Check for updates. This will lead to the installation of the other updates bundled with KB3206632.
- Click the Start button, click options (three horizontal lines icon), Settings, Update & security, Advanced options. Uncheck the box before Defer Feature Updates.
- Click the Start button, click options (three horizontal lines icon), Settings, Update & security, Check for updates. This should trigger the downloading of KB3206632 and you may get it to download and install.
Method 2: Manually download the KB3206632 update file from the Microsoft Update Catalog page
By manually downloading the cumulative update, you skip the automatic downloading process that freezes for so many users, so you can safely proceed with the installation once you do that.
You will need Internet Explorer for this procedure.
- Hold the Windows Key and press R to open run dialog.
- Type iexplorer.exe and hit enter to open Internet Explorer
- Visit Microsoft Update Catalog page, and search for KB3206632
- If you are running a 32 bit operating system click the Add button next to the x32 bit version. Click the Add button next to the x64 bit version if you are using a 64 bit operating system.
- Click the Download button and choose the location for saving your downloaded files.
- When download completes, Install the update
- Restart your computer for effect to take place
If you do not wish to go through the Microsoft Update Catalog, here are links that you can use to download your files with any browser.
x32 Bit Version is downloadable here
x64 Bit Version is downloadable here
Remember to be patient with the download process, sometimes this issue resolves itself after a few hours.