iTunes is a mobile device management application that was developed by Apple. This application can also be used as a media library and many other multimedia purposes. The application is basically used to manage digital multimedia files on macOS and Windows. However, quite recently, a lot of reports have been coming in of users who are unable to update their devices and a “There was a Problem Downloading the Software for the iPhone. An unknown error occurred Error 9006” is seen while trying to download the update.
What Causes “Error 9006” on iTunes?
After receiving numerous reports from multiple users, we decided to investigate the issue and devised a solution to fix it completely. Also, we looked into the reason due to which it is triggered and listed it as follows.
- Download Failure: This error is triggered due to the inability of the iTunes application to download the update for the mobile device automatically. The application might be prevented from downloading the file due to a glitch or unstable network. It is also possible that the application might be facing issues while determining the correct software for your device.
Now that you have a basic understanding of the nature of the problem, we will move on towards the solution. Make sure to implement these in the specific order in which they are presented to avoid conflicts.
Solution: Downloading Manually
Since the application is facing issues while downloading the update for your device, in this step, we will be downloading the update manually and configuring iTunes to detect and install it. For that:
- Launch your browser and navigate to this site.
- Select the device that you want to update.
- Select the model of the device that you are using.
- Choose the version that of the software that you want to download.
- Click on the download button and wait for the downloading process to be completed.
- Open iTunes and connect your device.
Note: Make sure your device is in recovery mode.
- iTunes will prompt you to update your device, follow the onscreen prompts and start updating your device.
- Once the software update has started to download, press “Windows” + “R” and type in “%appdata%” and press “Enter“.
- Open the “Apple Computer” folder and then the “iTunes” folder.
- Open the “iPod Software Updates” folder.
Note: Open the software updates folder for your own device.
- Copy and paste the file that we downloaded in the 5th step inside this folder.
- Open iTunes and click on the “Download” button.
- Select the “Pause Downloads” button.
- Now the “Update” button that was previously greyed out should be available.
- Click on the button and the device will be updated automatically.