Discord first started as a gaming communication platform, where gamers could create communities and connect with each other for free. The application is now very popular, and there are millions of communities. Recently, Discord Inc announced that they will be completely changing the applications meta. That goes on to say, In the coming years, the application won’t be gaming-focused only. People of all sorts will use discord for communication.
While Discord focuses on their transition, why don’t we talk about how to add games on discord, and change your status. If you didn’t know, Discord allows you to set custom status. These statuses can be viewed by your friends or others in communities. Although the title of our article says how to add games to discord. We won’t limit that to games only, but also discuss how to set custom status and much more on Discord.
How To Add Games To Discord
How many times have you seen numerous players on Discord having a status that represents the game they are playing. Well, you can do this too, and it is completely free. You can add numerous games to your library and afterward whenever you play them. Discord will show live status to your friends that you are playing this certain game.
In addition to that, Discord will also display how much time you have played this game. This indication is pretty helpful, and In later stages of the guide, we’ll discuss the benefits of status on discord. Meanwhile, let’s take a look at how to add games to discord.
- Open Discord > Click on User Settings that are located at the bottom left.
- Head over to Game Activity Tab > Enable “Display currently running game as a status message.”
- Usually, most of the games that you might be playing on Origins or Steam are automatically added. Sometimes, the games aren’t added by default, so you will have to add them. Click on the “Add It!” option and type the game that is missing from the list.
- Once you add a game and start playing that. Discord will automatically show you are playing that specific game.
- Your Game Status will be shown to everyone who can see your profile.
How To Add Custom Game Status To Discord
Now you might be thinking, how can I add a different status on Discord. In other words, what If I want to add a certain game on Discord, but that’s not available on the list. Well, If there is any game that isn’t supported or available on Discord. Then you can set a custom status for that game to let people know.
Just to clarify, there are certain games on discord that are officially supported. Whenever you play these games, you will always notice the verified sign next to them. Some games aren’t, and this method is precisely there to fulfill it
- Open Discord > Go to Game Activity.
- Add any application or game from the “Add it button”. The application or game will automatically start running and your status will be changed.
- Click on the name, and you will now be able to change its name. Set to whatever game or application you want others to see. I’ve set it to Crysis 3, and now everyone would think I am playing Crysis 3.
- The status will be shown to everyone on Discord, but It won’t have an icon. Thus indicating that it’s unverified.
Adding Spotify, Twitch, Steam, and other Statuses to Discord
You can all set kind of status, like watching movies or something. However, at the end of the day, everybody would know that its a made-up status and not official. Now In order to fix this, there is another feature that can help you.
Discord has support for a lot of applications like Twitch, Xbox Live, Twitter, Spotify, and many others. This allows the application to automatically add verified statuses that are relevant to these applications. Now instead of writing Halo In custom names, why not add Xbox Live and you will get a proper Halo sign with verification mark.
- Open Discord > Click on Settings.
- Scroll Down to Connections and from the various options available. If you want to get proper discord status support, connect to nearly all applications available.
- From now on, Discord will automatically change your Status depending on whatever you are doing. For example, If you are steaming. then Discord will change Status to Streaming on Twitch followed by the game’s name.
Unless you want to do business and things. I won’t recommend adding personnel Info like Facebook or Skype to your Discord. Some gamers are really toxic, and I’ve experienced that a lot of them will track down your Personel ID and send you insulting messages. Thus, stay on the safe side.
How To Add Custom Status on Discord
Other than knowing how game status and other Application statuses work. Now you should also know that Discord allows you to set a custom status. This isn’t like the application ones, where it says listening to certain songs or playing a game. This one is more like an update on your mood or having a short description of yourself.
Here is how you can add a custom status on Discord
- Click on your profile picture, and you will be seeing readily available options. Click on “set a custom status.”
- Ignore them, and click on “set a custom status”. Afterward, write whatever best describes your current mood or status.
- Now everybody can see your status by clicking on the profile picture.
Importance of Status On Discord
Having a status on Discord is Highly Recommended. There are a few benefits, but the most important one is that it lets your friend know you are playing a specific game. This allows your friends to either jump In the game with you or avoids spamming your inbox.
Secondly, If you are in a community, playing a game. Some players will approach you asking If you want to play with them. I’ve made a lot of friends through this feature, and also got the opportunity to play with incredible players. Thirdly, there are high chances that you get an invitation to the community of the game you are playing. This once again connects you with new players.
Not always, you are going to get messages, invitations, and others. You will also have to approach people and be friendly.
Did you know, Discord also allows you to Stream? Learn more about that here.