If you cannot hear your voice when testing the microphone from settings, that means discord is not picking up your headset microphone for reasons that we will discuss below. But, as of now, the leading cause of this issue is that the discord does not have access to your microphone. Hence, you are encountering this issue.
Even though many reasons can bring this issue, we have listed the most common of them below:-
- Discord Does Not Have Microphone Access- The issue often occurs due to discord not having microphone permission from Windows Privacy settings that allow the applications to use external devices. If the access is disabled, you cannot use the microphone for discord or other applications.
- Incorrect Discord Voice Settings- If you change some discord voice settings, such as input or output devices and other settings, it is mostly due to the incorrect input device selection.
- Outdated or Corrupted Audio Driver- Having outdated and corrupted drivers can be the reason as audio drivers are used for the application to communicate with the user.
- Turned On Advance Voice Settings- Discord offers an Advance Voice Activity feature for improving microphone quality. However, it turns out that using this feature can cause issues with the microphone.
- Corrupted Discord Files- If the discord files are corrupted, you will encounter this issue until you perform a clean reinstall.
If you are unable to hear other users on Discord as well, visit our dedicated article on this issue to find perfect fix for you.
1. Check Your Microphone
The first thing we recommend is to check your microphone as it may not be connected properly or the driver is not installed properly. These are some common things you should take care of as they can cause issues. Below we have mentioned some of the steps that may help you.
- Right-click the Sound Icon and click Sounds
- Go to Recording from the top and speak something. If the green lines go up and down, that means the microphone is working. If not, try reinstalling audio drivers or check your mic, as it may have hardware damage.
2. Give Microphone Access to Discord
Several users have managed to resolve this issue by giving the microphone access to the discord application, as sometimes the microphone access gets blocked from the privacy settings as the access for all the applications can get disabled. Hence, you need to allow the discord application to use your microphone. If you are new to discord, the microphone access may be blocked. Therefore follow the steps:-
- Right-click the start menu and click Settings
- Navigate to Privacy Settings
- Then, go to Microphone from the left
- Turn on Allow Apps To Access Your Microphone by clicking on the toggle button
- Once done, now check if the issue is fixed.
3. Reset Discord’s Voice Settings
If there is an issue in discord voice settings, we advise resetting the voice settings as it may be included as a culprit if the voice settings are configured incorrectly. Therefore, give it a try. Below are the steps:-
- Open Discord and go to Settings
- Navigate to Voice & Video from the left pane
- Scroll down to the bottom and click Reset Voice Settings
- Once done, check if the Microphone is working.
4. Change the Input Mode
The issue could probably result from incorrect input devices selected. Usually, when we install the discord application, it detects the microphone and speaker as output and input devices. Thus, you can able to use communicating devices, but if discord selects an incorrect driver for the input or output device, you will not be able to use it until you select the right one manually. Below are the steps:-
- Launch discord and head to the Settings
- Click Voice and Video from the left sidebar
- If the Default or other device is selected as the Input Device, select your actual Microphone
- In case you don’t know what device you should select, right-click the speaker from the taskbar and click Sounds
- Go to the Recording and speak something to your mic, then check for green lines. If they go up, that means it is your Microphone
- Go back to Discord and select the Microphone device
- Once done, check if the microphone is working on discord.
5. Disable Exclusive Mode in Windows
If you have enabled the exclusive mode, that means if the application requests exclusive control of the sound card, no other application can use the microphone except the one which requests. So if you have another application that can use your mic and you enabled the exclusive mode, the discord mic may not work unless you disable the exclusive mode. Follow the steps:-
- Right-click the Sound Icon from the bottom right, then click Sounds
- Navigate to Recording and right-click on the microphone
- Click Properties from the list of options
- Go to Advanced and untick Allow Applications To Take Exclusive Control Of This Device
- Once done, check if the mic is fixed.
6. Reinstall Microphone Driver
The outdated and corrupted microphone drivers can be a culprit as outdated drivers are not compatible with the latest discord application or if the drivers get corrupted or outdated, the microphone may not work as drivers are important for the hardware to control. Therefore, update or reinstall the driver, Follow the steps:-
- Press Win + R and type devmgmt.msc in the search box
- Hit Enter to navigate
- Expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs Menu and right-click your microphone driver
- Click Uninstall Device
- Again click Uninstall and restart your computer. The microphone driver will automatically download when you restart. If Windows does not download the driver, download it from the manufacturer’s website.
7. Run Speach Troubleshooter
Speech troubleshooter allows users to ready their microphone and fixes problems that may prevent Windows from detecting voice. So if there is any software problem with the microphone, such as services not working or the driver being corrupted, this method may fix it. Below are the steps:-
- Right-click Start Menu and click Settings
- Go to Update & Security
- Click Troubleshoot, then click Additional Troubleshooters
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Speach troubleshooter
- Click Run The Troubleshooter
- Once done, now check if the mic not working on the discord issue is fixed.
8. Turned Off Advance Voice Activity Settings
Turning off Advance Voice Settings can be a way to resolve microphone detection issues as it helps improve the microphone quality a little, but many users fix many of their mic detection issues by turning off this feature. Therefore, follow the steps:-
- Launch Discord and click the Settings icon from the bottom left
- Navigate to the Voice & Video and scroll down to the Voice Processing
- Disable Advance Voice Activity and check if the issue is fixed.
9. Change the Audio Ports
If the issue is still there, there may be a chance that your Windows is not detecting the mic through the current port. Therefore, try changing the port and see if the issue is fixed.
10. Disable QoS Quality Of Services
Some routers or internet services may not work properly with the QoS, Quality Of Services, which transmits the high-priority packets for the best latency. However, it can misbehave sometimes and can lead you to this issue. Therefore, if it is enabled, try disabling it. Follow the steps:-
- Open Discord and go to Settings
- Head to the Voice & Video
- Scroll down to the bottom and disable turn off Quality Of Services
- Now check if this fixed your issue.
11. Do a Clean Reinstallation of Discord
If you tried all the methods and none of them have worked, the last option you could try is a clean installation of the discord, which removes the corrupted files along with the application. Thus, if the issue is from the discord application, reinstalling the discord will fix it. Below are the steps:-
- Press the Windows key and type Add or Remove Programs
- Hit enter to navigate
- Scroll down to the bottom, select the discord and click Uninstall
- Again click Uninstall to confirm
- Press Win + R to launch Run Window
- Type Appdata and press Enter
- Navigate to Local and delete the Discord folder
- Comeback to the previous folder and navigate to Roaming
- Right-click the Discord folder and click Delete
- After that, download the discord from the official website.