Are you unable to select and save images from Gmail? Limited storage and misconfigured settings can prevent you from saving images in Gmail.
Fortunately, there are several ways to restore your Gmail app to normal functioning. In this article, we have mentioned a few tried-and-tested troubleshooting methods that can assist you in selecting and saving images in the Gmail app.
1. Force Close Gmail and Restart Your Device
If you cannot select and save images on the Gmail App, try force-closing the app. A force-close will help solve issues in an unresponsive app with glitches. It resolves the problem by closing the app and restarting it.
Steps for forcibly closing the Gmail app on an iPhone:
iPhone SE, iPhone 8, and earlier models:
- Start by double-clicking the Home button, which will show your most recently used apps.
- Then, swipe left or right to find the app you want to force close.
- Swipe up on the Gmail app’s preview to close the app.
iPhone X or later models:
- From the Home Screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, and then pause in the middle of the screen.
- After this, swipe left or right to find the app you want to force close.
- Lastly, swipe up on the app’s preview to close the app.
2. Restart your device
After force-closing the Gmail app, restart your iPhone, as it will clear the cached data that is causing the issue. Restarting your device helps in numerous ways. Firstly, it solves minor software-related problems by resetting the software and clearing temporary data.
iPhone SE (1st generation), 5, or earlier models:
- Press the top button and hold it till the power-off slider appears on the screen.
- Next, drag the slider and wait 30 seconds for your iPhone to turn off completely.
- Lastly, press the top button and hold it until you see the Apple logo to turn on your device.
iPhone SE ( 2nd or 3rd Generation), 6, 7, or 8:
- Firstly, press the side button and hold it until the power-off slider appears on your iPhone.
- Drag the slider to turn it off and wait for around 30 seconds.
- Lastly, turn on your device by pressing the side button and holding it until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
iPhone X or later version:
- Begin by pressing the volume up or down button, along with the side button, until the power-off slider appears on the screen.
- Next, drag the slider to turn off your iPhone and wait for approximately 30 seconds.
- Press the side button until the Apple logo appears on your screen to turn it on.
After following the above steps, proceed to the Gmail app. Then, touch and hold the photo until a menu appears. Lastly, tap on “Save Image” to save the photo to your photos library.
3. Remove the Gmail Account
Another method you can try to fix the issue is to remove your account from the Gmail app and add it again. Doing this can help in various ways. For instance, there could be a syncing issue between your account and the app, due to which you are unable to save the picture.
Additionally, it will help clear old data and cache associated with the account. Consequently, it will resolve issues with the account or the app. Removing the account and adding it again will also help troubleshoot any other problems by resetting the app and giving it a fresh start.
Here’s how you can remove your account from the Gmail app:
- Open the Gmail app and tap on your profile picture in the top right corner.
- Tap on Manage accounts on this device.
- Lastly, tap on Remove from this device.
After removing your account from the device, restart it (follow method 1). Then, add your account again.
- Go to the Gmail app and tap on your profile picture.
- Tap on Add another account.
- Choose the type of account you want to add.
- Next, enter your email and password to add your account.
3. Turn On the “Always Show Images” Option
If you cannot see the images, or the images do not load in the Gmail app, you need to turn on the ‘Always Show Images’ option. When you enable this feature, all the images in emails will be displayed automatically. With this, you will not have to load them manually.
However, if you have already enabled this feature, attempt to turn it off and on again. Doing so will help reset the feature and resolve any issues causing it to malfunction. Here is how you can accomplish this:
- Go to the Gmail app and tap on the Menu icon.
- Then, tap on Settings.
- After this, tap on Email Preferences under “Inbox.”
- Tap on Images.
- Tap on “Always Display External Images.” If the feature was already turned on, tap on “Ask Before Displaying External Images.” Then, tap on “Always Display External Images.”
- Lastly, tap on “Done” to save the setting.
In this post, we have discussed three different methods that can help you resolve the issue of being unable to select and save images in the Gmail app. However, if none of the methods work for you, consider contacting Apple Support and asking them for a possible solution.