Since the appearance of FIFA 22 in September, players have encountered some problems that are not letting them play the game properly. One of the issues that have affected most players is the VOLTA mode not working problem.
VOLTA is a game mode that was added in the previous versions of FIFA, and it allows players to play quick games of street football alone or with their friends. This error interferes with the game, not letting the players join any match in VOLTA, showing a message on their screen.
After a lot of affected players have reported about this issue, we’ve done an in-depth investigation of this error and come up with a shortlist of possible causes that could trigger this error:
- Server problems – In case you are trying to play the VOLTA game mode while there are server issues or the game server is undergoing maintenance and interfering with the game, this might be the cause for your error. If this scenario is occurring, you can’t do anything to fix it other than checking online if there are any reports made by players that have encountered server issues as well, and wait until the EA developers fix the issue.
- Missing latest update – Another possible cause that might trigger the VOLTA not working error is that your FIFA 22 is missing the latest updates available. Whether you are playing the game on a computer or console, this could be fixed by checking if there are any available updates that you’ve missed, and installing them in case you found any.
- Connection bug – There’s no real explanation on why this error still occurs even after the game was patched, but it clearly does. Fortunately, you should be able to bypass this bug by exiting VOLTA to the main menu (immediately after the error occurs), then immediately re-entering the game mode and joining a game as fast as possible.
- Squad glitch – Unfortunately for some users, this problem can also occur due to a glitch affecting all the squads attached to that EA account. In this case, you should be able to fix the problem by resetting all the custom squads from the settings menu of the game.
Now that you are aware of all the possible reasons that could cause your issue to happen, here is a list of all the methods used by players to fix this error. Hopefully, it will help you fix the issue too:
1. Check for an ongoing server issue
Before going straight to the practical methods for this error, the first thing to do is to make sure that the EA servers don’t have any problems. An ongoing server problem might interfere with your local installation.
If you end up finding out that the servers are down or undergoing maintenance, you can’t do anything to fix the VOLTA not working error because it’s beyond your control. The only thing to do is to wait for the developers to fix the issue themselves.
To make sure that is not the servers that cause VOLTA not to work, visit the EA page on the Downdetector site to see if there are any affected players that have reported problems with the servers in the last 24 hours.
In case you want to look in more detail about the FIFA 22 error, you can also consider visiting the FIFA Direct Communication Twitter page where you will find posts about any error that is happening to FIFA if there are any.
In case you confirmed that the VOLTA not working error is NOT caused by any server issues, try the next potential fix below.
2. Update the game to the latest version (PC and consoles)
As it turns out, this error could be caused by the game missing the latest update. This could be happening in case you are playing Offline and prevent your PC or console from installing the latest version or simply missed the newest update available.
EA has since released a series of patches focused on making the Volta mode more stable. To take advantage of them, you’ll need to update the game to the latest build available.
Depending on the platform you are encountering the error on, the instructions will be different, so we created sub-guides for every platform:
Update FIFA 22 on Origin (PC)
You first need to make sure that you are logged into your account and your account is Online, and not Offline. After that, follow the next steps:
- Inside the Origin app, click on My Game Library to access the games library.
- Now that you are inside the library, click on FIFA 22, then click on the Setting button (gear icon) and click on Update Game.
- After the verification is complete, your game will be updated if newer updates where found.
- When the newest update is installed, launch and test the game to see if the same error occurs.
Update FIFA 22 on Steam (PC)
In case you have the game on Steam, there are more steps you need to follow, but the guide is still easy to follow. Here are the steps:
- Make sure that you are signed in to the account that you have FIFA 22 purchased on.
- Now you need to access the game’s library and look for FIFA 22, then click on Properties.
- After you are inside the Properties menu of FIFA 22, go to the Updates section from the menu at the top.
- Now you need to go under where it says Automatic updates and change the drop-down menu to Always keep this game up to date.
Note: In case there are pending updates for FIFA 22, they will begin to install as soon as you save the changes.
- Now launch the game to see if you still encounter the same error.
Update FIFA 22 on Xbox One
In case you are encountering the VOLTA not working error on Xbox One, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to the home screen of your Xbox One console.
- After that, access the My Games & Apps tab to go to your personal library.
- Inside the library, select the Updates section from the menu on the left side.
- After that, move over to the right-sided menu, and install every update available for FIFA 22.
- When the update for FIFA 22 is complete, launch the game and check if the error was fixed.
Update FIFA 22 on Xbox Series S/X
For Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X users, the process of updating is a little easier. If this case is applicable to you, here are the steps:
- From the home screen of your Xbox console, highlight FIFA 22 and press the Options button on your controller.
- After that, select Manage game and add-ons.
- Inside the library, highlight FIFA 22 and access the Updates Menu from the menu on the right.
- After that, select Update all and confirm the confirmation prompt, then wait until the updates are installed.
- When the update’s installation is complete, launch FIFA 22 and test the VOLTA game mode to see if your problem was fixed.
Update FIFA 22 on PlayStation 4
Just like you on Xbox Series X and S, you can update FIFA 22 directly from the library menu utilizing the vertical context menu. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the home screen of your PlayStation 4 system, access the Library using your controller.
- After you are inside the Library menu, find FIFA 22 through the list of games, then select it and hit Check for Updates from the vertical menu on the left.
- When the newest update is installed for FIFA 22, launch the game to see if you still encounter the VOLTA not working error.
Update FIFA 22 on PlayStation 5
In case you have disabled automatic updates on your PlayStation 5 console in the past, here are the steps on how to install the pending updates for FIFA 22:
- Go to the home screen of your PlayStation 5 console.
- After that, select Games from the top left section of the screen.
- Inside the Games section, go through the list of games until you find FIFA 22, then highlight it.
- After that, press the Options button on your controller.
- From the context menu that just appeared, select Check for Updates and wait until the operation is complete.
- Now launch FIFA 22 to see if the error was fixed.
In case this method wasn’t helpful for you or you already have the latest updates installed for FIFA 22, go to the next method.
3. Close VOLTA and Re-join immediately
The VOLTA not working error has occurred a lot of times while players were trying to team up to play VOLTA online. Some of them have managed to fix this issue by closing the VOLTA game mode, then immediately re-joining.
As players suggest, you don’t have to close the app or restart the device you are playing the game on, you simply have to close VOLTA and go to the main menu, then instantly enter the game mode again, followed by inviting your friends and trying to join a game.
They are also saying that the more time you waste in the VOLTA menu waiting for your friends to join, the bigger chances are to encounter the same error again. So make sure that your teammates join your invitation as quickly as possible, and when all of them joined successfully try to enter a game as fast as you can.
Note: This method has proved to be efficient for both PC players, as well as console players.
In case you have tried this method a few times and the VOLTA game mode is still not working, go check the last possible fix that we’ve managed to find.
4. Reset all Squads
The last thing you can try in order to fix your VOLTA not working error is to try to reset all the squads in the game from the settings of the game.
By doing this, all the changes you’ve made to the teams will be reset to defaults, including all the transfers you’ve done and players that you’ve created and placed in teams.
Note: Your VOLTA avatar won’t be deleted after you reset all the squads, so you don’t have to worry about that.
In case you don’t how to reset all squads in FIFA 22, we’ve made a guide that will help you. Here’s how you do it:
- You need to start by launching FIFA 22, then wait until the game is fully loaded and you are on the main screen.
- From the main menu, navigate to the Customise tab, then select it.
- Now that you are inside the Customise section, select Edit Teams and go to where it says Reset All Squads, then select it.
- You will need to confirm the decision, then all the squads will be reset back to default.
- After that, go back to the main menu and go to VOLTA, then select it and test to see if your problem was fixed.