The Starfield error code 0xc000005 occurs when the system cannot process the game files or settings on your PC. This reflects an access violation where the game process lacks the necessary permissions to access the required resources or is blocked by a background process.
Potential causes include interference from antivirus programs or insufficient user account permissions for the game files. This article will guide you through resolving the issue swiftly; simply follow the steps.
1. Run Starfield as Administrator
To rectify the 0xc000005 error code, start by running Starfield as an administrator. Given the issue’s roots in access violations, administrative privileges can allow the game to utilize necessary resources without restrictions.
This action might also resolve file read and write permission issues for the game process. Execute the following instructions to run Starfield as an administrator:
- Open File Explorer and go to the game’s installation directory. On Steam, this can be done by right-clicking on the game and selecting Manage > Browse local files.
- Right-click on starfield.exe and choose Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab.
- Click the Run this program as an administrator checkbox.
- Hit Apply and then OK.
- Check if the issue has been resolved.
2. Disable Third-Party Security App
Security programs can sometimes interfere with other Windows processes, leading to the 0xc000005 error code in Starfield when access to necessary files is blocked. Try disabling your antivirus to determine if it resolves the issue.
If the problem disappears after disabling the antivirus, add the game process to the program’s whitelist, preventing further interference. If the issue persists, proceed to the subsequent method.
3. Take Ownership of the Game Folder
Insufficient user account permissions over the game can cause the error upon game launch, as the process inherits your permissions and cannot access its files properly.
To rectify this, take ownership of the game folder on your PC with these steps:
- Open File Explorer and navigate to Starfield’s installation folder.
- Right-click on the folder and choose Properties.
- Go to the Security tab and select Advanced.
- Click the Change link next to Owner.
- In the Enter the object name to select field, input your user account and click Check Names.
- Click OK.
- Tick the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects checkbox.
- Also select Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object checkbox.
- Click Apply followed by OK.
- Attempt to run the game and check if the problem persists.
4. Repair Starfield Installation Files
A corrupted or damaged installation may result in the error code when launching the game. In such cases, you’ll need to repair the game’s installation files on your PC.
The process varies by platform, like the Xbox app or Steam, but can be performed using the built-in utilities provided by these clients.
- Launch the Steam client and open Library.
- Right-click on Starfield and select Properties.
- Go to the Installed Files tab.
- Click Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait for the scan to complete and then check if the issue remains.
Xbox Game Pass
- Open File Explorer and go to the game’s installation directory as before.
- Delete starfield.exe by right-clicking and selecting Delete.
- Launch the Xbox app and find Starfield.
- Access the More menu (three dots) and choose Manage.
- In the Files tab, click Verify and Repair.
5. Delete Starfield Shaders
Corrupted shader caches in the local AppData directory can cause game crashes on startup, leading to the 0xc000005 error code. Clearing this cache can help address the issue.
Proceed with the following steps:
- Press Win key + R to open Run.
- Enter %localappdata%\Starfield and press Enter.
- Delete the Pipeline.cache file found there.
- Try launching the game to confirm if the issue has been fixed.
6. Remove DirectX Shader Cache
A corrupted DirectX Shader cache can also cause the game to display the 0xc000005 error code. One solution is to clear the cache using the Disk Cleanup utility.
Here’s how you do it:
- Search for Disk Cleanup from the Start Menu and open it.
- Choose the system drive, typically C:, and click OK.
- Select the DirectX Shader Cache and other applicable options if desired, then click OK.
- Open the game afterward to see if the error code has been resolved.
7. Reinstall Starfield
If none of the above methods rectify the error code, your last resort is to reinstall the game. This is often effective because a fresh install can set up all the game’s dependencies correctly and provide the necessary file permissions.
- Navigate to the games library in the Steam client.
- Right-click on Starfield and go for Manage > Uninstall.
- Confirm uninstallation on the prompt.
- Reinstall the game to see if this resolves the issue.
- Open the Xbox app using Start Menu search.
- Locate Starfield and open the More menu (three dots).
- Select Manage.
- Hit Uninstall Game on the General tab.
- Reinstall the game afterward.
After following these steps, the error code 0xc000005 should be resolved. This issue typically stems from an access violation, which can be rectified by granting the game appropriate permissions and ensuring that no background applications, like antivirus software, are blocking its execution.