Error 4008, Failed Joining Server occurs when you are unable to join servers due to a network issue or a server-related problem. Most users have resolved this error by correctly configuring their network settings, indicating that the issue mostly stems from misconfigured network settings. However, server-related problems could also be the culprit.
Should the problem lie within your network settings, you could potentially resolve it by reconfiguring your network and firewall settings. Error code 4008 sometimes arises when the firewall blocks DarkTide from establishing a connection to the server.
Before attempting the following solutions, try connecting to the game multiple times, as successfully joining after several attempts is possible. Additionally, restarting both your PC and router can clear data and cache from the memory, potentially resolving the error if you haven’t recently rebooted your router or if you possess corrupted temporary data in RAM.
1. Turn Off Windows Defender Firewall
Turning off the Windows Defender Firewall has been a successful solution for many users affected by error 4008. It appears that the Windows Defender Firewall may be preventing DarkTide from connecting. To address this issue, begin by turning off the Windows Defender Firewall. If you are using third-party antivirus software, disable the firewall within that software instead.
- Click the Start Menu and type Windows Defender Firewall.
- Press Enter to open Windows Defender Settings.
- Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left side.
- Choose Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both Private and Public network settings.
- After making the changes, click OK to save them and attempt to connect to DarkTide again.
2. Change DNS Server to Google DNS
DNS (Domain Name System) is critical for connecting users to servers by translating human-readable names into IP addresses. Inadequate DNS performance often results in connection errors.
Changing to Google DNS, known for its speed, reliability, and security, often remedies these issues. It is particularly recommended for gamers seeking uninterrupted server connections.
- Press the Win key to open the Start Menu.
- Type Control Panel and press Enter to open it.
- Navigate to Network & Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings. Right-click on your Network Adapter and choose Properties.
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties.
- Choose Use the following DNS server addresses. Enter 220.127.116.11 as the Preferred DNS Server and 18.104.22.168 as the Alternative DNS Server.
- Click OK to save the changes and check if the error has been resolved.
3. Reset Network Settings
Resetting Network Settings includes clearing the DNS cache, reinstalling network adapters, and resetting DNS settings, among other actions. This can resolve issues stemming from misconfigured settings.
- Open the Start Menu by pressing the Win key.
- Type Network Reset and hit Enter to access the settings.
- Click on Reset Now to revert to the default network settings. Your PC will restart.
- After restarting, open DarkTide to check for the error. If it persists, consider switching your DNS to Google if you haven’t already, or proceed with the other methods.
4. Use Mobile Data
ISP-related issues can sometimes lead to error 4008 in DarkTide. To confirm whether this is the case, connect to the DarkTide server using mobile data.
If the error is resolved by using a mobile data hotspot, it suggests your ISP could be the source of the problem. Contact your ISP to address this issue. If using mobile data doesn’t fix the error, it may indicate server issues on the backend. Also, check the DarkTide community forums to see if others in your region are experiencing the same issue. If so, the issue may resolve itself in time.
- Connect your mobile device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Then, go to your mobile’s hotspot settings and enable USB tethering to share mobile data with your PC.
- If your system has a Wi-Fi adapter, turn on the hotspot and mobile data on your phone, then connect the mobile hotspot to your PC.
- Once connected to your mobile network, launch DarkTide and check if the error has been resolved.
5. Use VPN (Virtual Private Network)
A VPN can help you determine if the server issue is specific to your region. VPNs allow you to access online content as if you were in a different location.
Download one of the many available VPN applications to test whether this resolves your problem. If using a VPN resolves the issue, it could indicate that the server problems are localized. In this case, wait until the servers in your region stabilize.
6. Verify the Game Files
Corrupted game files can also cause error 4008. Verifying the integrity of the game files can help you check for corruption.
- Launch Steam and go to your Library.
- Right-click on DarkTide and select Properties.
- In the left menu, select Local Files, then click on Verify integrity of game files.
- Wait until the verification is complete. Afterwards, try launching DarkTide to see if the error has been fixed.
7. Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider)
If, after trying all the above methods, the error code still persists, the issue may stem from your ISP or DarkTide’s servers. Since DarkTide uses AWS (Amazon Web Services) servers, Fatshark likely cannot rectify this situation; you will need to wait for Amazon to resolve the problem. Meanwhile, contact your ISP to check if their services are contributing to the issue.