AirDrop is one of the great features on Apple devices as it allows you to transfer files across different devices. The process is rather simple and instant and you can transfer documents, images, and much more from one device to another. This transfer process is carried out using your WiFi connection so that is something to note. As is obvious, in order to be able to transfer the files to a different device, the target device needs to be within range of the sender device.
As it turns out, in order to transfer the files, you will have to select a name from a list of nearby devices. This name can be referred to as the AirDrop name and basically identifies your device from others. Now, in case you do not have a name that is recognizable when trying to transfer files, the overall process can become complicated. With that said, you can easily change the AirDrop name of your device from the phone’s settings menu.
Transferring files from one device to another is something that we happen to do often. Using AirDrop to transfer files has multiple advantages. Not to mention how instant the process is, it also requires just a few simple steps and in the case of any images, the quality is not degraded which is one of the most important factors. As such, without any further ado, let us get started and show you how to change the AirDrop name on your iPhone and Mac.
Change AirDrop Name on iPhone
As it turns out, changing the AirDrop name of your phone is rather simple, as we have mentioned. This is because the name of your phone is used as the AirDrop name. As such, in order to change your AirDrop name, all you have to do is to change the name of your phone and you will be good to go. To do this, follow the instructions down below:
- First of all, on your iPhone, open up the Settings app.
- In the Settings menu, make your way to General.
- There, on the General settings menu, tap the About option provided at the top.
- Finally, tap on the Name option provided at the top.
- Provide any name you desire by typing it into the field provided and then tap the Done button.
- With that done, you have successfully changed the AirDrop name of your iPhone.
- The same process can be used for iPads as well.
Change AirDrop Name on Mac
Just like in the case of iPhones, the AirDrop name of a Mac device is essentially the computer name of that Macbook. As such, to change the AirDrop, you will need to change the computer of the respective Macbook and everything should be dandy. Follow the instructions down below to do this:
- To start off, click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- From the drop down menu, choose the System Preferences option.
- Now, on the System Preferences window, make your way to Sharing.
- To change your AirDrop name, simply change the Computer Name provided.
- Once you have edited the computer name, the changes will be saved automatically.
- Close the window by clicking the red x button at the top left corner.
- With that done, you have successfully changed your AirDrop name on your Mac.