Most of the files on the system are accessible through Windows file explorer. Windows provides libraries, quick access, and some file hosting service like OneDrive on the sidebar of file explorer. However, if you are a user of Google Drive, then it will not show on the sidebar as the OneDrive shows. People want to have access to Google Drive from the file explorer to move fast through system and Google storage. In this article, we will show you methods through which you can add Google Drive to Windows Explorer.
Method 1: Adding Google Drive to Windows Explorer Sidebar
We are going to make some changes in the Windows registry to get Google Drive in the sidebar of Windows file explorer. Windows registry stores low-level settings for the operating system, so make sure to get a backup of the registry before applying this method. First, you need to install Google Drive on your system and then apply the registry changes. This will add Google Drive to the Windows file explorer sidebar.
Important: Ensure you backup your registry before making any changes.
Step 1: Install Google Drive
- Open your browser and go to the Google Drive Download page. Download and Install it on your system.
- Once the installation is completed, Back and Sync will start and ask for Sign in. Login to your account and choose the options as you prefer.
- You can also pause or resume the sync from the system tray.
Step 2: Add Google Drive to File Explorer
- Open your browser and go to the Github page to download the registry file. Download the file and run it on your system.
- This will add Google Drive in the sidebar of the File Explorer.
Method 2: Adding Google Drive to Quick Access
In this method, you just need to pin the Google Drive shortcut from the desktop to the Quick Access in the Windows file explorer. If you don’t want the fancy way (similar to OneDrive) of showing Google Drive in the sidebar then simply pin it to the Quick Access. Make sure you install Google Drive in your system before trying this method.
- Right-click on the Google Drive shortcut on the desktop and choose Pin to Quick Access option.
- You can also remove it back by right-clicking on the Google Drive and choosing Unpin from Quick Access option.
Method 3: Adding Google Drive as a Library
The other option for adding Google Drive to the Windows file explorer is to create a new library. This is similar to making a folder or using the pin feature. You can create multiple libraries and rename them according to your preference. Make sure you install Google Drive in your system before trying this method. Follow the below steps to try it out:
- Right-click on the Google Drive shortcut on the desktop, choose the Include in library option and then select the Create new library option.
- This will create the Google Drive library in the Windows File Explorer. You can use that to access your Google Drive files.
- You can also delete it by right-clicking on the library and choosing the Delete option.