Gone are the days when you could not make use of Discord, the most popular communications app now, on consoles, such as PlayStation. This was apparent after the investment Sony made into Discord and announced a partnership. The process of using Discord on a PlayStation console may not be straightforward, however, that is not to say it is troublesome either.
In addition to PlayStation, Discord can also be used on Xbox consoles. There are a few steps that you need to follow before you are able to use Discord on your PlayStation 5.
This includes linking your PS5 account to the Discord application, along with some other things. We will take you through the whole process in this article, so just follow through.
1. Update PS5
The first thing you need to do is to make sure your PlayStation is up to date. This is quite important as support for Discord was released in the newer versions of the PlayStation firmware. Therefore, if you are running an older version of the PS5 system software, you will not be able to use Discord.
To update your PlayStation, follow the instructions given down below:
- First, navigate to the Settings menu by selecting the gear icon in the top-right corner of the home page.
- In the Settings menu, navigate to System.
- After that, on the System Software tab, select the System Software Update and Settings option.
- There, navigate to Update System Software.
- Then, select the Update Using Internet option.
- Finally, if there are any updates available, select the Update button to download and install the latest system software.
2. Link PS5 and Discord Accounts
Once you have updated your PlayStation, the next step would be to link your PlayStation and Discord accounts. You can do this via the Discord client on a PC, or a mobile. Alternatively, you can also link Discord with your PS5 account directly through the PlayStation settings menu.
We will go through both methods so you can follow whichever suits you more.
Using Discord Client
To link your PS5 account and Discord via the Discord client, follow the instructions below:
- First, navigate to the user settings by clicking the gear icon next to your username.
- On the Settings screen, switch to the Connections tab on the left-hand side.
- There, click the PlayStation logo under Add accounts to your profile.
- Choose PS5 from the given options.
- Finally, provide your PlayStation account details and authorize the connection.
You can also link your account with Discord via the console directly. Follow the instructions below to do this:
- First, navigate to the Settings menu on your console.
- In the Settings menu, go to Users and Accounts.
- On the Users and Accounts page, switch to the Linked Services tab on the left-hand side.
- After that, select Discord from the given options.
- Choose the Link Account option on the subsequent screen.
- When shown the shared details, select Accept and Continue.
- At this point, you will be shown a QR code. You will need to scan this from your phone. To do this, you need to have the Discord client installed on your phone.
- Navigate to your profile on the Discord client and choose the Scan QR Code option.
- Scan the QR code shown on the screen and authorize the connection.
3. Joining Discord Voice Channel
Now that you have linked your Discord and PS5 accounts, you will be able to join voice channels on your console. However, to do this, you will need to transfer the voice channel from your Discord client on your phone or PC to the PlayStation console. There is no direct method of joining Discord voice channels on PlayStation as of yet.
Follow the instructions below to do this:
- First, open Discord and join any voice chat that you wish to transfer to your console.
- Once you are connected, click on the phone and controller icon at the bottom-left corner of the voice chat screen.
- If you are using the Discord client on your phone, you will have to swipe up to access the voice controls.
- From there, select the Transfer to PlayStation option.
- Finally, select the Transfer Voice or Join Call on PlayStation option on a phone to join the voice chat on your console.
- Once you do this, a notification will appear on your PS5 indicating that you have joined a Discord voice chat.
4. Discord Voice Chat Settings on PlayStation
Once you have joined a Discord voice chat on your PlayStation, you will probably need to access the voice chat settings for various reasons. If you wish to leave the voice chat, you can do so directly from the PlayStation instead of disconnecting from any other device.
In addition, there are other various voice chat settings that you might find useful, such as muting the game voice chat and more. Follow the instructions below to do this:
- On your controller, press the PS button.
- Select the Discord Voice Chat option.
- Now, on the left-hand side, navigate to the Parties tab.
- From there, select the Discord voice chat.
- Here, you can adjust the volume of the voice chat, as well as leave the chat when you need to.
- For any additional settings, you can use the three-dot option.
5. Read Discord Messages on PlayStation
Discord is not only a place for voice chats, but rather message channels are also an important component of the app. If you wish to read Discord messages on your PlayStation, you can do so by using the built-in browser on your console.
To do this, on a PS5, you will have to employ a slight trick. Follow the instructions down below to do this:
- First, open a chat window with a friend on your PlayStation.
- After that, type “www.discord.com” in the chat box and send the message.
- Then, select the link and wait for PlayStation to open it in a browser.
- Once the Discord website loads, select the Open Discord in your browser option.
- After Discord logs into your account, you will be able to see all of your servers and chat with your friends from your PlayStation console.