If you are a Microsoft OneDrive technophile, you must have come across ‘On this Day’ which is a collection of photo and video memories that happened on the same day today way back. For one reason or another, you might want to turn off OneDrive memories notifications, but you have no clue where to start. This article will focus on how to disable OneDrive Memories notifications on Android, iOS, and Windows.
Some users may want to turn off these notifications because they feel the memories are irrelevant, too many, or appear at the wrong time. However, others see this feature as quite useful because the memories remind them of what they did or saw one year ago, on this day.
What are the reasons for turning off OneDrive memories notifications?
Notifications are good, but when they turn out to be a bother or a distractor, turning them off is the best option. OneDrive users may want to turn off memories alerts because they feel they are too much. According to Dataprot, a user has an average of 80 apps on their phones and other gadgets. So, imagine each app, including OneDrive, sends notifications daily. This can be overwhelming and turning them off would be the best decision. Other reasons for disabling memories notifications on Microsoft OneDrive are:
- They make a user less production: If notifications come at a time when you need all the concentration you can possibly gather, a single pop-up can distract you big time.
- Privacy and security: Some users feel that their devices might be in the hands of some people and that they would feel uncomfortable viewing their past memories. For that reason, they opt to turn off memory notifications on OneDrive.
- Wrong timing: Imagine you are on a date, in bed, etc and you keep getting notifications. This can be a bother, not only to you but to the people around you. That only is enough reason to turn off memories alerts.
There could be other dozens of reasons because individuals have their preferences. Actually, some users may prefer to mute device alerts than turn them off.
How Do I turn off OneDrive Memories notifications?
To turn off OneDrive Memories notifications, you need to first determine the devices or platforms you are using OneDrive from. Like Google Photos, Facebook, etc., OneDrive can be accessed from across devices as it has the sync feature; as long as you are using the same account. In this section, we will look at how to:
- Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on Windows PC: These alerts pop up in the notifications area on Windows; at the bottom-right side. There are two ways to turn off memories notifications on a PC; through the OneDrive in-built notifications settings or using Windows Registry. We will look at these two options in a while.
- Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on the Web: If you prefer to use the web version of OneDrive, you can use the settings to disable ‘On this Day’ notifications across your devices. Your settings will be synced in all other devices. Here, you will also turn off emails that OneDRive sends to your email account about your photo and video memories.
- Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on Android phones: The methods to turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on Android phones may slightly differ depending on which model you own. But generally, the process is the same. Once you disable the notifications, you won’t get popups on the top area of your smartphone. You can do this on the OneDrive app settings.
- Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on iPhone (iOS): For iPhone users, they can also use the OneDrive app settings. No memories alert popups will show up until the time you will turn them on again.
1. Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on Windows PC
1.1 Using OneDrive in-built options
- Open OneDrive by clicking its icon in the system tray area; click the arrow facing upwards if you can’t see it.
- Go to Help & Settings and then click Settings.
- Select the Settings option and then untick the box next to When “On this day” memories are available.
- Finally, click OK to complete the process.
1.2 Using Windows Registry Editor
Making incorrect changes in the registry can lead to abnormalities on your computer. We cannot guarantee that the effects of wrong registry edits can be resolved. Create a System Restore Point before you proceed.
- To open the Registry Editor, press the Windows button + R, write regedit in the Run box and press Enter on the computer keyboard.
- You will get a User Account Control prompt, select Yes to continue.
- Once the editor panel is open, locate the following path:
- On the left side, right-click on the Personal folder and select New and click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename the value as OnThisDayPhotoNotificationDisabled, double-click it, and set the Value data as 1.
- Finally, select OK to complete the process and restart your computer to effect the changes.
TIP: To revert the previous original OneDrive settings change the Value data to 0.
2. Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on the Web
- Open your browser and go to the official OneDrive website here.
- Sign in with your account credentials and then click on the Setting icon on the top right.
- Click on Options and select Notifications.
- Next, uncheck the box next to On this day memories are available.
- Finally, select Save and that will stop OneDrive from sending you email notifications.
3. Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on Android phones
- Open your OneDrive Android app and go to the Me option.
- Towards the bottom of the list menu, tap on Settings.
- Tap on Personal which is under Accounts.
- Locate the GET NOTIFICATION WHEN section and toggle off the button next to I have memories from this day.
4. Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications on iPhone (iOS)
- Open your OneDrive app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your profile picture at the top-right side and then tap on the Notification option.
- Toggle off the button next to I Have Memories From This Day. You will not Memories notifications until you enable the feature again.
Need more help?
We believe the methods above work and you are now able to turn off Memories notifications on your devices. If you are stuck at any step or need more guidance, feel free to leave us a message in the comment section or contact the Microsoft support team.
Turn off OneDrive Memories notifications - FAQs
Microsoft OneDrive Memories is a feature that allows users to get video and photo memories of their past years a day like today. You can access these memories on your mobile app, Windows PC app, or on the OneDrive web version. You can turn OneDrive memories off or on the settings section of the app or web portal. You can also hide memories on the mobile app. To do this, go to Me > Settings > Personal and then toggle off Show photos from this day.
There are several ways to stop Microsoft OneDrive from accessing your photos. For example, if you want to prevent the app from uploading your photos and videos turn off the Camera Upload in the app settings. If you want to stop OneDrive from syncing your videos and photos, choose the folder you want and from there you can stop syncing.