Silhouette Studio is a software that is used to create logos, designs, and patterns by professionals. The software can be used along with a cutting machine to create your own dies out of fabric, paper, cardboard, vinyl, etc. However, there have been many reports of the software running slow on various devices. The main reason for this is because of either the small amount of RAM or old graphics card or drivers.
Silhouette Studio running slow primarily revolves around software problems locally on your computer. We have some workarounds that proved to be working perfectly for numerous users. Take a look below:
Solution 1: Changing Preferences
One major reason for the software being slow is some of the settings that are set as default options. These are usually CPU extensive and require a firm build. To speed up the software, we can change some of the preferences and see if this does the trick for us.
- Go to Preferences and click on Advanced.
- Scroll down until you see the option Include Cut Data and make sure that the option is not selected.
- Save changes and exit. Restart the software and see if this made any difference in performance.
Solution 2: Updating Software
Silhouette Studio running slow may be caused because of an outdated version of the applications. The developers launch a lot of beta versions and not all of the installations are stable. The best option, in this case, is to keep updating the software so that fixes for previous issues are resolved. To update the software, follow the steps below:
- Before starting, close all running background processes using the Task Manager.
- Now, go to Silhouette Studio’s official website.
- Download the latest stable release either for Mac or Windows.
- Install the downloaded .exe file and restart your computer before launching the software again.
Try to avoid the beta versions as they are usually unstable and there is a chance the software will run even slower.
Solution 3: Updating Graphics Drivers
Another reason for the software running slow could be that the graphics drivers of your PC are out of date. Outdated drivers are one of the most primary reasons for the software to run slow since the workload is already processing intensive.
- Press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Open the Device Manager and expand Display Adapters
- Right-click and select Update Driver. Choose the Search Automatically option and wait for Windows to automatically install the latest drivers.
- After updating the driver, restart your PC and check if the issue still persists.
Solution 4: Move Fonts to Local Storage
Fonts in Silhouette Studio take up a lot of processing power. As a result, the software becomes slow both in startup and while running. There is an option in the software where the fonts can be stored in your local storage from where they can be easily fetched.
- Scroll down to Cloud folder in your Silhouette Library.
- Click on the designs or the files you want to move to your computer. Now, click on File and click Save Selection and Save to Library.
- Select the folder where you want to save the items and repeat for all required items. Restart your computer after you are done and see if this made any difference.
Solution 5: Deleting Application Data
App Data contains temporary user configurations and settings which are fetched by the software whenever it loads up. However, there are instances where this application data gets corrupt. We can attempt at deleting the temporary application storage and see if this makes a difference.
The following are the steps for Windows and Mac users respectively.
- Close the Silhouette Studio software and press the Windows +R key. Type in %appdata% and press Enter.
- Delete the following folder with all its sub-contents. Make sure to empty the recycle bin as well.
- Restart your computer and launch the application. Check if the issue is resolved.
- Close the Silhouette Studio software and open the Finder.
- Press CMD+SHIFT+G. Type in the following and press Return.
- Delete the following folder with all its sub-contents.
- Empty Trash and restart the computer. See if the performance has increased.
Solution 6: Re-indexing the Library
There are several libraries present for fonts and designs which can get corrupt. So whenever the software is traversing through it, it can get slow. To re-index the library so all corrupt entries are removed, follow the following steps.
- Navigate to the Settings in Silhouette Studio and select Preferences and then Advanced.
- Click the Reindex My Library option and wait for the process to complete.
Wait for the process to complete before restarting your computer and launching the application.