Various settings in Safari need to be adjusted immediately so that you can use the browser seamlessly. Apple has designed the browser in such a way that the user does not need to make many changes to it. However, adjusting some hidden settings can improve your experience using Safari; therefore, you should try using them.
Also, privacy is one of the major concerns for Apple users. Thus, we have discussed how you can maintain greater security while using the browser.
1. Enhance your Safari browser with a compact feature.
The most common problem faced by Safari users is lagging when they open multiple tabs simultaneously. When this occurs, you will find that Safari takes a long time to load the pages. In such circumstances, people often switch to another browser; however, you do not have to do that, as we have discovered a trick to make Safari faster.
Follow the steps mentioned below to fix Safari lagging in multiple tabs:
- On your Mac, open Safari and click on Safari > Preferences.
- Now, click on Tabs.
- Then, click on the Compact option. Doing this will change and apply the compact settings to all the tabs that you have opened in Safari.
This feature will not only load web pages faster, but it will also change the toolbar to the color of the webpage background, which many Safari users prefer.
2. Bring Up a New Development Menu
The new Develop menu is a hidden feature provided by Apple, specifically designed for web developers. It offers tools that are useful for verifying whether a website works properly with all standards-based web browsers.
In addition, it allows you to perform all types of inspections and debugging on websites. Moreover, with this Develop menu, you can change your user agent, which helps you deceive the website into thinking you are using a different browser. Consequently, it is perfect for testing a website.
Here’s how you can turn on this feature:
- Go to Safari and click on Preferences > Advanced.
- Next, click on Show Develop Menu in the Menu bar. With this, you will be able to use the Develop menu.
3. If Safari Cannot Load Certain Tabs, Try This
After updating your iPhone or Mac to the latest update, all the previous issues are usually resolved. However, sometimes the opposite occurs; you might encounter certain problems that need immediate attention.
Many users have faced the issue of Safari not finishing the loading of certain sites after updating their devices to the new version. However, in this section, we have mentioned a simple method that can resolve this issue. Let’s see how you can accomplish this.
- Go to your iPhone Settings and tap on Wi-fi.
- Next to the Wi-fi network, to which your device is connected, you will see an info icon; tap on it.
- Then, scroll down and disable Limit IP Address Tracking .
4. Disable the ‘Open in App’ pop-up.
If you are browsing social networking sites, such as Facebook, Reddit, LinkedIn, and Instagram, you must have experienced that Safari displays a pop-up asking you to open the app, preventing you from viewing the webpage. This feature is disliked by almost every Safari user.
If you are also suffering from the same problem, you need not worry about it anymore, as there is an easy method to disable the pop-up permanently.
- Go to the app in Safari (Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit, etc).
- Tap on the three lines in the upper right corner.
- Now, tap on Settings.
- You will see an option for ‘Ask to Open in the App‘; tap on the small box to disable it.
5. Set Permissions for Each Website
When you visit a website, it often requires various permissions; however, granting every website the access it asks for is not advisable since not all of them are secure. For this reason, you should review the permissions you have granted to different websites. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go to Safari, and then visit the website.
- Then, click on ‘Settings for This Website’; with this, you will see all the permissions that it has asked for and whether you have allowed them or not, including Camera, Microphone, Screen Sharing, and Location. If you have enabled any of these previously, you can now change the settings to ‘Ask’, so that it will always ask before enabling that particular setting.
6. Block cookies in Safari and stop sites from tracking your iPhone.
There are certain settings on your iPhone that you need to turn on or off to prevent sites from tracking your device, which can improve its privacy. The reason for enhancing your device’s privacy is that many websites collect a lot of personal information that users may not want to share.
Therefore, if you want to prevent websites from tracking your iPhone, follow the method mentioned below:
- Go to the Settings app and open Safari.
- Scroll down and turn on the Prevent Cross-Site Tracking option.
Next, you need to block cookies from all sites, as this is how the websites that are advertising track their users. Here’s how you can turn on this feature.
- Go to Settings and then to Safari.
- Scroll down and turn on the Block All Cookies option.
Nevertheless, if you do not want to block all cookies, make sure not to accept any ad-related cookies whenever you browse through Safari.