- The efficiency cores on your Intel processors are often the cause of the Remnant II crashes on your machine. This issue can also be due to other aspects which include the privileges of the game process in Windows, along with many other reasons. You can read about the detailed list of causes in this article below. To resolve the crashing issue with Remnant II, you can employ the following solutions:
- Disable the efficiency or E cores on your Intel processor to allow the game to run only on the performance cores that it requires.
- Run Remnant II with elevated privileges to ensure it has the necessary permissions to run on the machine.
- Disable the third-party overlays that can interfere with the game files causing the game to crash randomly.
- Install any available Windows updates on your machine to make sure you have the supported Windows build on your system.
- Run Remnant II in compatibility mode with another operating system, such as Windows 8, to resolve the crashes on your current system software.
- Delete the game cache on your drive to force Remnant II to create a new cache on subsequent starts.
- Update the graphics drivers installed on your machine to make sure your graphics drivers are supporting the new game.
Remnant II crashes can be attributed to the use of efficiency cores by the game process on Intel machines. The use of efficiency cores is only meant for background tasks that do not require much CPU power. This appears to be an issue with the game, which should be handled by the dev team in a future patch.
This article will explore the diverse causes of Remnant II crashing. In addition to that, we will be offering a compilation of various solutions that you can utilize to resolve the crashes with Remnant II.
What causes Remnant II to crash?
There are various aspects that can contribute to Remnant II crashing on your device. Let us go through the likely causes of the crashes down below.
- Use of Efficiency Cores: If you are using a new-gen Intel processor, the issue can arise due to the use of the new efficiency cores by the game process. This prevents the game from utilizing the proper power of your processor and thus crashes.
- Insufficient Privileges: The privileges of the Remnant II game process in Windows can also directly result in game crashes since it allows other apps to interfere with it.
- Obsolete Windows Version: The Windows version on your machine can cause the game to crash as well whereby it is not able to utilize new features and functionality that are required by the game since they are not available in the older versions.
- Outdated Graphics Drivers: The display drivers on your system can also cause the game to crash at random instances. This occurs when the graphics drivers are obsolete and do not officially support the game.
- Damaged Remnant II Cache: The game cache stored on your drive is another reason for the game crashes. This normally occurs when the cache is either corrupted or damaged.
- Third-Party Overlays: The overlays of third-party apps on your PC are another instance that can potentially lead the game to crash. These overlays interfere with the game files which can result in inconsistencies, resulting in crashes.
How to fix Remnant II crashing?
Having discussed the multiple causes of the issue, let us now explore the various solutions that will enable you to overcome the Remnant II crashes entirely.
- Run Remnant II as Admin: Lack of adequate permissions for the game process within your Windows environment can cause it to crash in various instances. This is often due to the interference of third-party apps running on your machine with the game process. To resolve this, you must run the game with administrative privileges, which will help prevent interference from any other background apps.
- Use Windowed Mode: Using Windowed as the display mode in the game can also often help resolve crashes. Such behaviour is usually the result of an inconsistency with the game that needs to be patched by the developer team.
- Run Remnant II in Compatibility Mode: Forcing the game to run in compatibility mode on your machine is another potential fix for the Remnant II crashes. This is particularly helpful when the game is built on older engines and needs to be properly optimized for current operating systems.
- Disable Third-Party Overlay: Game crashes can also be attributed to in-game overlays from other applications on your system. Discord and NVIDIA GeForce Experience commonly implement in-game overlays that can lead the game to crash. To tackle this issue, it becomes necessary to disable the third-party overlays to prevent any interference with the game.
- Update Windows: Using an outdated version of Windows on your PC can also hinder the game’s performance and cause it to crash. This occurs when the game does not support your Windows build due to various reasons, such as the inclusion of new features that are not compatible with older versions. To address this, it becomes essential to install any pending Windows updates.
- Reinstall Graphics Drivers: Obsolete graphics drivers on your computer can be another reason for Remnant II crashing. Display drivers play a vital role in communication between your graphics card and the processes in Windows. In such a scenario, you will have to reinstall the graphics drivers on your system to fix the issue.
- Delete Remnant II Cache: In some instances, a damaged or corrupted game cache on your drive can cause the game to crash. Deleting the user cache will force the game to create a new one and resolve the issue as a result.
- Disable Efficiency Cores: The use of efficiency cores by the game process can cause it to crash since they are not meant for handling all of the power required by game processes. Therefore, you will need to change the CPU affinity of the game process to prevent it from using the E cores on your Intel CPU.
1. Run Remnant II as Admin
- Open the Steam app on your desktop.
- Head to the games library and right-click on Remnant 2.
- Then, select the Manage > Browse local files option.
- In the File Explorer window, right-click on the Remnant2.exe file and select Properties.
- On the Properties tab, click the Compatibility tab.
- Then, select the Run this program as administrator option.
- Finally, click Apply and follow it up with OK.
2. Use Windowed Mode
- Open Remnant 2 on your PC.
- Click on the System option to bring up the menu.
- Then, select Options.
- On the Video options screen, use the Display Mode menu and select Windowed.
3. Run Remnant II in Compatibility Mode
- Open the installation folder of Remnant II by right-clicking the game on Steam and choosing Manage > Browse local files.
- Then, right-click on the Remnant2.exe file and choose Properties.
- Jump to the Compatibility tab.
- After that, select the Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Select Windows 8 from the drop-down menu and click Apply.
- Lastly, run the game.
4. Disable Third-Party Overlay
- Open the Discord app on your device.
- Bring up the Settings screen by clicking the gear icon in the bottom-left corner.
- Then, jump to the Game Overlay tab.
- There, toggle the Enable in-game overlay slider to turn the Discord overlay off.
4.2. GeForce Experience
- Open the GeForce Experience app on your PC.
- Go to the Settings screen by clicking the gear icon.
- Then, toggle off the overlay by using the In-game Overlay option.
5. Update Windows
- Open the Settings app via the Win key + I shortcut.
- Navigate to the Windows Update section.
- Then, click on the Check for updates button to update your operating system.
6. Reinstall Graphics Drivers
- Download the Display Driver Uninstaller tool from this link here.
- Open the downloaded file and unzip it to any location.
- Then, open the Display Driver Uninstaller.exe file in the new location.
- Click Continue on the General Options window.
- After that, use the Select device type menu to choose GPU.
- Follow this up by selecting your GPU manufacturer from the Select device menu.
- Then, click the Clean and restart option.
- When your PC boots up, download the latest display drivers from your graphic card manufacturer’s website.
- Then, install the drivers and run the game.
7. Delete Remnant II Cache
- First, press the Win key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type in %localappdata% and hit Enter.
- Locate the Remnant2 folder and delete it.
- After that, open the Run dialog box by pressing the Win key + R again.
- Then, type in %appdata% and hit Enter.
- Look for any Remnant2 folder and delete it.
- Finally, restart Steam and run the game.
8. Disable Efficiency Cores
- First, right-click on the Start Menu and select Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager window, jump to the Details tab.
- There, locate the Remnant2.exe process.
- Right-click on the process and choose Set affinity.
- Then, go through the CPU cores and untick any E cores from the list.
- Run the game.
- To make this change permanent, you will need to use a third-party tool like Process Lasso.
That is it, these methods should help resolve the crashing issue with Remnant II on your machine. In the future, make sure your efficiency cores are not utilized by the game if you have an Intel processor to avoid the problem. It is also a good habit to ensure that the game process has the necessary privileges and no third-party app is interfering with it.
Remnant II still crashing?
If the game is still crashing after you have applied the above solutions, you will need to reach out to the official customer support for Remnant II. You can get in contact with the developer team via the official Discord server and state your issue in the respective channel.