The issue of the Messenger video call not working typically arises when users try to use the video call feature on Messenger. This problem prevents people from using the Messenger app optimally, most significantly affecting video calls. It often becomes impossible to initiate the video call, or if the call does start, it fails to function. This issue primarily occurs on Android phones, but it can also happen on iOS.
What causes this Messenger problem?
The main cause of this issue is that the connection is not working properly. When it comes to connection, it could be about the connection of your network or the connection between the people on the call.
Besides this, another cause could be a bug or glitch that is happening to your Messenger app. These bugs can happen due to random inconveniences but will disappear with the new updates.
The cause can also be related to the permission of the camera or microphone because the video call won’t work without the permission needed. You should be also careful with your Bluetooth connection because it might recognize other devices as headsets.
How to fix this issue?
There are a few methods that you can do to fix this issue. These methods contain both the instructions for Android and Apple phones. Here are the methods:
1. Allow Camera permission
The first thing you need to do is to ensure that the permission for the Camera is enabled. You need to do this because the video call won’t work if the Camera is unusable.
Messenger should ask for permission automatically when you try to use the video call, but in some cases, the permission is denied and you don’t even know it. This is why you should access Settings and enable the permission for the Camera in case it is turned off.
You can also check the Microphone to see if the permission is enabled.
All you need to do is to go to the Settings of your phone and check for Permission. Here is a guide for Android, as well as for iPhone:
1.1 Allowing Camera Permissions on Android
You can easily check if the Camera has the permission needed from Settings. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Settings of your phone and open them.
- Now you need to access the Apps section.
- Through the list of apps, search for the Messenger app and select it.
- Select the Permissions button. You should be able to see it in the Privacy section.
- Now you should be able to select the Camera section.
- You need to select the Allow only while using the app option to enable it.
- You can repeat this process with the Microphone as well to ensure that it is working.
- Once you are done, test Messenger to see if the Voice Call works now.
1.2 Allowing Camera Permissions on iPhone
The instructions for allowing camera permissions on iPhone are very easy to follow. Here are the steps:
- Look for the Settings and open them.
- Scroll down until you find the Privacy & Security tab, then select it.
- Now you need to access the Camera settings.
- You will be able to see all the apps that use your Camera. Make sure that the toggle next to is enabled.
- You can also check the Microphone to see if the permission is allowed.
- Once you are done with that, test the Messenger to see if not it works.
2. Clear Camera cache
Another thing you can try is to clear the cache that your Camera app has. This cache consists of temporary files which are not needed for the app to work. In some cases, these cache files become corrupted and can affect your app.
By deleting the Camera cache, you will free up some intern space which can improve the performance of the app and might actually make the video call work.
This method is only available for Android users because you can’t delete the cache memory on iPhones.
You can clean the cache memory from the Settings of your phone. Here is a guide that will show you how to do it:
- Open the Settings of your Phone.
- Look for the Apps section, then select it.
- Now through the list of apps, you need to find Camera. Access it when you see it.
- Go to the Storage menu of the Camera app.
- Now you will be able to see the Clear cache option. Select it and wait until the cleaning is complete.
- When the cache has been cleaned, all that’s left to do is to check if the Messenger video call works now.
3. Check for connected Bluetooth devices
The Messenger not working issue might be also caused by your phone connecting automatically to other devices through Bluetooth. The problem is not the connection itself, but the fact that your phone recognizes other devices like SmartWatch as communication-related.
This affects the app because it is using the audio and microphone of the connected device, causing you to not hear the sound from the video call.
Note: This can happen on both the Android and iPhone.
All you need to do is to check if the Bluetooth is on. If the Bluetooth is on, check to see if there are any devices connected at that time.
Try to disconnect the connected device to see if you are able to use the Video Call properly.