iPhone notifications not working problem generally occurs due to inadequate network connection. Moreover, users face this problem on the iPhone itself or on a particular app. Not receiving notifications sometimes seems frustrating as users miss some events or critical alerts.
Before turning straight to the solutions, you must know the causes. Here are some common causes for this issue.
- Poor internet connection- Poor or unstable network connection is the main reason behind this problem. So, when you face a problem getting notifications on your iPhone, you first need to check your internet connection. If unstable or weak, try fixing the problem by stabilizing the connection.
- Internal iPhone issues- If there are any internal issues on your iPhone, it may cause this problem. So, try solving the issue by giving a restart to your iPhone.
- Enabled silent mode- If the silent mode is enabled on your iPhone, then you may not able to hear the notification sound. In this case, you need to turn off the silent mode on your iPhone to fix the problem.
- Outdated app- Often, an outdated version of the app can also be the reason for this problem. If you are not receiving notifications for a particular app, it may be because of the outdated version. So, try using the latest app version to avoid such problems on your iPhone.
- Disabled notification- Disabled notifications on your iPhone is one of the most possible reasons for not receiving notification as they may restrict the notifications from appearing on the device. Hereby, try dealing with this problematic situation by enabling or turning on the notification on your iPhone.
- Enabled Do not disturb mode- If you have enabled Do not disturb mode on your iPhone, you will not receive notifications as this feature won’t allow the alerts to appear on your device. Therefore, when this is the reason found in your case, try resolving the issue by disabling the Do not disturb mode.
- Outdated iPhone OS version – Running an outdated iPhone version can sometimes be responsible for missing notifications as its conflicts with the latest app version and stops them from functioning correctly. So, if you are operating on an outdated or old version, try using the latest version to avoid getting into such a problematic situation.
- Muted Chat Thread- If the chat thread for any messaging app is turned off or muted, you may not receive notifications for the chats. In such a case, you need to unmute the thread for the chat for which you are not receiving notifications on your iPhone.
- Enabled Low Power Mode- Enabled Low power mode on your iPhone too can be responsible for missing notifications. Therefore, check for the Low Power mode; if enabled, try fixing the issue by turning it off.
So, above are some reasons that restrict notifications from appearing on your iPhone. Now, as you know the causes, you’ll be easily able to resolve the problem by following the effective workaround listed.
1. Check Your Internet Connection
Poor network connectivity is the first blame for not receiving notifications on your iPhone. So, the first thing you need to do when such a problem occurs is to check for the internet connection on your iPhone. If found unstable or weak, try increasing internet speed by following the below instructions.
- First, check your iPhone data limit. If you have exceeded the daily limit and are not left with enough data, then you won’t be able to get any notifications on your device. So, simply boosting your current pack with an add-on data pack will fix your problem when such is found.
- If you found the connection unstable or weak, then fix the connection issue by turning off and on the flight mode or mobile data on your iPhone.
- Thirdly, if you are using a Wi-Fi connection and the connection is unstable or slow, try stabilizing the data by turning off & on your source device or placing the source device nearer to the device to get a stable internet connection.
2. Reboot your iPhone
Internal issues on your iPhone might hinder your notifications from appearing on the device. So, here you need just to reboot your device once and then check if you are receiving the notifications or not. Follow the below instruction to reboot your iPhone.
- Press the side button on your iPhone until the power slider appears.
- Next, drag the slider to turn off your iPhone.
- Lastly, wait 1-2 min and then again press the side button for a second to restart the iPhone.
3. Check the Ringer/Silent Switch
Another possible reason triggering this problem on iPhone is enabling silent mode on your device. If somehow you unintentionally flip the ringer switch and it is turned off and set your phone to silent mode, you may not be able to hear alerts on your iPhone. So, it is advised that before moving for any technical solutions, check once for the ringer switch.
If turned off, simply gliding the ringer switch will turn your iPhone again to ring mode, thereby fixing your issue.
4. Ensure Chat Thread Isn’t Muted.
If you are troubled to get the chat notifications on your iPhone, it may be because you might have unintentionally or accidentally muted it. So, when this is the case found, you need to unmute the chat thread in the app manually to fix the problem. Follow the instructions below as mentioned to do so:
- On your iPhone, open the Message app and look for the chat thread to which you are not receiving notifications.
- Next, see if there is any crossed bell icon next to the chat. If there, it means you’ve accidentally muted the chat.
- Swipe the chat thread to the left and click the bell icon to unmute it.
Once done, you’ll going to receive the chat notifications.
5. Add Exception to Focus
Another possible solution to fix notification that isn’t working on iPhone is by adding an exception to the notification. Many users have reported that adding exceptions to focus had solved their problem. So, this solution is worth giving a chance. Below are the steps to add exceptions to focus:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, select Focus.
- Now, on the Allowed Notifications section, select People and add the persons you want to receive a call, or click on Calls from and set it as Everyone.
- Next, select the Apps and add the apps for that you want notifications & toggle on the button for Time Sensitive notifications.
6. Turn Off Low Power Mode
It’s been reported by many iPhone users that the notifications got missed or delayed on their devices while the low-power mode is enabled. The low power mode saves the battery of your iPhone by disabling notifications and other operations. Therefore, try disabling the low power mode to eliminate and verify if the problem has been fixed. Follow the below steps to disable the Low Power mode.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Then, scroll downward to search for the option Battery and click on it to open.
- Finally, click the toggle button for the Low Power mode to disable it.
Once done, wait for a few minutes and check whether or not you are receiving notifications on your iPhone.
7. Disable Do Not Disturb
If Do Not Disturb or focus mode is enabled on your iPhone, it won’t appear. So, you need to disable the mode on your iPhone to fix the iPhone notification not working problem. Below are the steps to turn off the Do Not Disturb or Focus mode.
- Visit the iPhone Settings app.
- Next, look for the Do Not Disturb category.
- On the next DND screen, toggles off the button to turn it off.
8. Turn off Scheduled Focus Mode
Aside from tuning off the DND Mode, you also need to ensure it isn’t set on schedule activation. If found scheduled, disable the scheduled DND mode to eliminate the issue. To do so, follow the below instructions as mentioned.
- Visit the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, click on the Do Not Disturb category option.
- On the next appeared DND screen, scroll down and toggle off the button next to the Scheduled to disable it.
9. Enable Always Show Previews
Enabling Always show previews is another working solution that users can do to prevent missing notifications on iPhone problems. Follow the below instructions to do so.
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, click on the option Notifications.
- After that, select the option Show Previews and click on the Always button to get previews for all notifications on your iPhone.
10. Check App’s Notification Settings
If you are not receiving notifications for any particular app, it may be because you have accidentally or intentionally turned off the notification for that particular app. So, it’s better to check for the app’s notification settings once. Below are the instructions on how to do it:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, choose Notifications from the listed categories.
- Here, you will see all the apps for which you receive notifications. Select the app you are not receiving notifications from and turn the toggle on the toggle button for Allow Notifications.
- Lastly, ensure that the Notification Centre, Lock screen, Sounds, and Banners are enabled.
11. Turn off Shared Across Devices
If Shared across devices is turned on your iPhone, it may become the reason for not getting notifications on your device. So, the best thing you can do to avoid this problem is by turning off the Shared across devices feature.
- Visit the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, go to the option Focus.
- Now, toggle off the button for the Share Across Devices.
Now that you have turned off the Share Across Devices option, wait for some time and check if you are getting notifications or not.
12. Update the App
In most cases, running an outdated app version is likely to cause various trouble, and the notification not working issue on iPhone is one of them. We suggest you use the latest available app version to avoid such problems. Below are the instructions to update the app:
- Visit the Apple Store.
- Scroll through the app list, choose the app for which you are not getting notifications, and check for the available update.
- If any update is found, hit the Update button and wait for the app to install the latest update.
- Also, you can also click on the Update All to update all the apps.
13. Download the Latest iOS Version
If updating the app won’t fix your problem, it may be because you are using an outdated version of the iPhone. An outdated or older version creates numerous issues with time and iPhone notifications not working is one of them. So, when such is the case found, we recommend you to get the updated or latest OS version on your iPhone to get rid of this issue.
Updating the iPhone software fixes various problems and brings various recent features that make the device more stable and secure.
Follow the guidelines mentioned below to update the software:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone device.
- Now, tap the General option and select the Software Update option.
- Here, check for the available update. If found, press the Download and Install option and wait for the device to update the software to the latest version of iOS.
- Once completed with the installation process, restart your device and let the changes take effect.
After rebooting, wait and check if you are receiving notifications or not.
14. Reset iPhone Settings
Lastly, if none of the above solutions works for you, then reset your iPhone settings. So, follow the below steps as given to fix the problem.
- On your iPhone Home screen, click on the Settings app.
- Next, on the Settings panel, scroll downward and choose the option General.
- Click on the Reset button.
- Now, tap the option for Reset all settings. Doing this will delete all your previously configured settings and latest customizations.
- If asked, type the passcode to proceed.
- Lastly, confirm resetting all settings on the iPhone.
We have provided you with all the working solutions to get you out of the iPhone notifications not working issue in no time. I hope the article served you well, letting you receive all your notifications again on your iPhone.