There are multiple uses of Inspect Element option in Discord. Such as if you want to look at someone’s Discord picture or If you want to add custom CSS to your Discord application, you will have to inspect that element to add custom CSS to it. In this way, you can add your own CSS to your Discord application.
However, discord has disabled the inspect element feature to prevent users from opening it. This is officially confirmed by one of the Discord staff members on Reddit.
by u/ReallyAmused from discussion Can’t inspect element anymore?
Fortunately, you can still use inspect element in the Discord application on Windows to add a custom CSS by just configuring the settings.json file. However, you cannot use it on your Mac/Linux unless you install Discord PTB or Discord Canary. We will talk about them later.
1. Enable Inspect Element in Discord’s Settings File
Discord has disabled the inspect element does not mean you cannot enable it for yourself.
To enable the inspect element on Windows, follow the steps
- Make sure you have closed the Discord application. If not, right-click the Discord from the system tray and click Quit Discord.
- Press the Win + R keys simultaneously to open Run Program.
- Paste the following directory in the search box and click OK.
- Choose Notepad if Windows asks for the application to open a JSON file.
- Now enter the following code line in the Jason file.
- Once done, press Ctrl + S to save the file.
- Then, launch Discord and press Ctrl + Shift + I to use inspect element feature.
2. Enable Inspect Element on Mac/Linux
If you have a Mac/Linux and want to add CSS, unfortunately, you cannot do that in a direct way, but you can use alternative ways. We are not telling you to use a web version because you will be able to access the Inspect Element feature and can add custom CSS, but you cannot save the CSS permanently because when you reload the browser, all changes will be gone.
However, if you want to use this feature for fun, like creating fake messages for fun, then, in this case, use a web version of the discord. For that, follow the steps.
But if you are willing to change CSS permanently of a Discord application. In this case, use Discord PTB (Public Test Beta) or Discord Canary. Both applications are available for users to access new features and fixes. Both are the same as Discord, but Discord PTB is more stable than Discord Canary. So you can use Discord PTB to add custom CSS.
To do so, follow the steps according to the situation.
2.1 Inspect Element on a Discord Web
For that, just go to Discord using the link, log in to your Discord account, and press Ctrl + Shift + I then click the inspect element icon from the top then select an element you want to inspect.
2.2 Download Discord PTB on the Mac/Linux
- Download the Discord PTB from the link.
- Once it is downloaded, run the Discord installer and wait for it to install.
- Once done, open it, and press Ctrl + Shift + J to use the inspect element.
If you are facing issues where Discord PTB is not installing, apply the methods listed in this article Discord Update Failed Infinite Retrying loop.
-Discord Inspect Element Not Working FAQs
Discord has disabled the inspect element functionality on a stable version for security purposes. However, you can still open it by configuring the settings.json file.