Amazon Firestick and Fire TV Stick are media streaming players which allow users to watch different movies and seasons from a single device. They support resolutions up to 4K and UHD. These players are small network appliances which stream content from the internet to the connected TV screen.
With the popularity of these devices, there has been a sharp increase in the use of VPN’s to browse movies and TV shows in many popular sites such as Netflix or just to use for browsing the internet. There are two ways through which you can install VPNs for your Firestick:
- Through the store. If the VPN is officially published in the application store, you can easily download the application from there without any hassle and use it.
- From an APK file if the VPN application is not published. This is a slightly longer method but doable.
Before moving on to the methods, make sure that you know the download address of the VPN which you want to install (for the second method) and have an active internet connection on your Firestick device.
Method 1: Installing through App Store
If the VPN which you are trying to install is listed in the app store, you can easily download it from there and let the system install it. It works just like any other application which you might install and use in your daily routine.
- Navigate to the search in your Fire TV or Firestick and type the name of the VPN which you want to download. If the VPN returns in the results, click on it, otherwise navigate to the second method.
- Once in the VPN page, click on the Download button to download the application on your device and install it.
- Now signup into the VPN and after selecting the target location, proceed with the instruction to connect.
Note: The download might take some time depending on your internet connection. Be patient and let the download complete properly.
Method 2: Installing through an APK
If your VPN is not listed in the app store, you will have to install it using an APK (Android Programming Kit) after downloading from the manufacturer’s website. The installation process might require some additional steps to enable third-party applications to be installed on your computer. Installing VPN’s on Firestick is not tedious at all and require almost the same steps as of installing an application on Android device.
- Open Settings on your Amazon Firestick or Fire TV and select Device > Developer options.
- Once in Developer Options, turn both the options i.e. ADB debugging and Apps from Unknown Sources to ON. Save changes before exiting.
- Now search for the application Downloader on your store and install it on your device.
- After the application is installed, open it and type the address of the VPN download link which you are trying to install. In this example, we are downloading NordVPN. Download the APK from the list of options in the website and the download will automatically start.
- After the APK file has been downloaded, open it and click Install. If you are asked for permission, grant it.
- The VPN application is now installed on your Firestick or Fire TV. However, you will not be able to see it under the listings of normal applications or your homepage because it is a third-party application. We will have to locate it through the list of installed applications.
Navigate to Settings > Manage Installed Applications.
- Now select the VPN which you just installed. After opening the entry, press Launch.
- You VPN will now start running and you can use it just like any other application.