Connecting a PS3 controller to a PC will not work straightaway. It requires more than just connecting a gaming controller and using it. This is because Windows won’t allow the installation of the drivers needed for the controller to work.
To fix this, we need to disable Driver Signature Enforcement and then install Motioninjoy to enable your DualShock controller to work. If you have already disabled Driver Signature Enforcement, you can skip to Step 2 of this guide. In this guide, I will assume that you’re using Windows 10.
Step 1: Disable Signature Enforcement
- Press Windows + C and click on PC settings.
- Click the Update & Recovery tab and then click the Recovery option on the left pane.
- Under the recovery options, you will see an advanced startup section on the right side of the window. Click on the ‘Restart Now‘ button and wait for a while as your PC reboots into the recovery mode.
- In the recovery mode, choose Troubleshooting > Advanced options > Startup Settings.
- Your PC may restart one additional time, after which it will present you with a list of startup settings you can change. Press F7 to select ‘Disable driver signature enforcement‘.
Step 2: Installing and Configuring Motioninjoy
- Download and install Motioninjoy from here.
- Connect the controller to your PC using the supplied USB cable. Once plugged in, go to the Driver Manager. Here, you will find your controller listed along with information on its location and ID. If you’re unsure about which of the listed devices is your controller, unplug it and plug it back into your computer.
- Select the checkbox of your controller and then click Install all. Once this is done, you will have all the required drivers on your PC.
- Head back to the Profiles tab and confirm if your DualShock controller is listed under the Connected Game Controller section and is connected.
- Under the Select one mode section, click on the little circle next to Xbox 360 Controller Emulator and then Enable at the bottom of the screen.
Next time you connect the controller to your PC, open Motioninjoy and repeat step 5. There’s no need to install the drivers again at this point.